U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city/metro would you rather live in?
MSP 60 60.00%
PDX 40 40.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:45 AM

1,376 posts, read 940,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I wonder how PDF is defining urban. Going by population density, it's not even close:

Minneapolis:7,287 people per square mile
Portland: 4,375 people per square mile.

To be fair, Portland does have Forest Park, which is massive (5,170 acres). So, I crunched some numbers, and even if you were remove Forest Park from Portland, the city's density would only tic up to 4,451 people per square mile.

However, there are other factors that might give a city with less density a more urban feel. I'm not sure what those are.
Portland is a larger city in area and population(over 610,000 in 133 sq miles to 400,000 in 58 sq miles), but it is a lot more spread-out and has a lot more really suburban areas in it than Minneapolis(the hills of SW Portland are almost rural in feel, East Portland past 205 is a messy mix of older ranch home suburbs, rural pockets, and newer density). The inner neighborhoods of Portland have density similar to Minneapolis and the street-car suburb areas radiating out from there have slightly lower levels, but once you get further out in Portland there's areas within the city limits that are basically rural living that feel like a world away from central Portland. The areas like that in the Twin Cities aren't within the boundaries of Minneapolis.

Both cities are increasing density though so who knows what they'll look like in 20 years. Portland is building denser infill in the inner neighborhoods--which is a big point of contention locally, despite the fact that Portland isn't that dense a city right now. Overall the inner neighborhoods of Portland and similar ones in Minneapolis are fairly close in feel, though Minneapolis has a much bigger skyline in the CBD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 10:46 AM

668 posts, read 640,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letithappen View Post
Minneapolis. Too many white people in Portland, it's dangerous... or maybe just weird.

"No one expects the naked bike ride!"

look at the liberal idiocy in all it's glory folks

herp derp liberal media says 'Portland is TOO WHITE, IT IS RACIST, blah blah blah'
liberal believes this and then claims Portland is too white,
white people are weirdos and dangerous !

fun fact - Minneapolis is whiter than Portland

Minneapolis - 78.6% white

Portland - 76.3% white

Old 05-01-2015, 11:06 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,333,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius Sirius View Post
look at the liberal idiocy in all it's glory folks

herp derp liberal media says 'Portland is TOO WHITE, IT IS RACIST, blah blah blah'
liberal believes this and then claims Portland is too white,
white people are weirdos and dangerous !

Portland - 76.3% white
You've clearly never been to Minneapolis.

The numbers I've found place Minneapolis at 63.8% white and Portland at 76.1%. Minneapolis is very diverse with rich immigrant communities from all over the world. Also, keep in mind that many of the whites in Minneapolis come from places like Russia, Ukraine, and Latin America, adding to diversity. While cities like Baltimore, Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and St. Louis may have less white people than Minneapolis, Minneapolis is nonetheless far more diverse than those cities in general. That said, Minneapolis is still a far cry away from New York, Chicago, Houston, LA, and even Sacramento.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:29 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,178,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius Sirius View Post

Portland - 76.3% white
Ever heard of the Census? You might want to start there before posting your so-called "facts."

2010 Census:
White Alone Population (as a percentage)
St. Paul: 55.9%
Minneapolis: 60.3%
Portland: 72.2%

Source:
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/map...esota_map.html
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/maps/oregon_map.html

Last edited by YIMBY; 05-01-2015 at 11:40 AM..

Old 05-01-2015, 11:46 AM

1,333 posts, read 1,153,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Minneapolis has all the pro sports downtown as well.
Completely forgot sports are a big deal to many people. Minneapolis crushes Portland in that category.

I'm always forgetting Vancouver is mid-sized and not a small town. Probably will be closer to St. Paul's size after the working class gets priced out of Portland.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:54 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,178,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Completely forgot sports are a big deal to many people. Minneapolis crushes Portland in that category.

I'm always forgetting Vancouver is mid-sized and not a small town. Probably will be closer to St. Paul's size after the working class gets priced out of Portland.
It helps having the options, especially during the winter months. I'm not a die hard fan of the Vikings, Wild, T-Wolves, Lynx, or the U of M Gophers (can't stand their men's hockey team), BUT I will attend games. People in the Twin Cities complain about all the new stadiums - I welcome them because I want / need the options during Dec - Feb.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:02 PM

1,376 posts, read 940,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post

That's already been going on for a while now(it seems Vancouver is full of former Portlanders)--though it will depend on how much more growth they're willing to build for out there as traffic gets worse and worse over the Columbia bridges. Downtown Vancouver could actually be a cool place some day, but I think it's been hampered by the fact that people in Vancouver drive over the border to Oregon for sales tax free shopping--and also will go to Portland restaurants and bars on the weekends(though the vice versa is rarely true).

Minneapolis and the Twin Cities has more big institutions than Portland(universities, museums, sports teams and so on)--I think Portland does well in terms of small business offerings like bars and restaurants and music clubs. For whatever reason-Portland sort of lacks a lot of the bigger cultural investments that some other similar sized cities might have had over history--but punches above it's weight in some of residential neighborhood amenities. That being said I think the biggest differences are the bigger corporations with a footprint in Minneapolis and pro sports and that sort of thing--a lot of the inner residential neighborhoods in both cities seem to have some similarities. But Minneapolis(like a place like Denver also) benefits from being the last big city in it's region for a long ways going west--as opposed to Portland which has always competed with Seattle for prominence.

As far as outdoors opportunities though, personally there's no comparison--and the Upper Midwest has it's charms and nice lakes and honestly is probably underrated overall, but I'm a mountain and ocean guy at heart and it's hard to beat the geographic diversity of the West Coast.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
You've clearly never been to Minneapolis.

The numbers I've found place Minneapolis at 63.8% white and Portland at 76.1%. Minneapolis is very diverse with rich immigrant communities from all over the world. Also, keep in mind that many of the whites in Minneapolis come from places like Russia, Ukraine, and Latin America, adding to diversity. While cities like Baltimore, Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and St. Louis may have less white people than Minneapolis, Minneapolis is nonetheless far more diverse than those cities in general. That said, Minneapolis is still a far cry away from New York, Chicago, Houston, LA, and even Sacramento.

I wasn't talking about the city proper
but the entire metropolitan area

No, Racial diversity is not diversity

diversity is culture and language
not appearance

most whites in Minneapolis are of Scandinavian and German descent

a city like Cincinnati (which metropolitan area is whiter than Minneapolis) has a more diverse population of non Hispanic Whites from all over Europe

Old 05-01-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Ever heard of the Census? You might want to start there before posting your so-called "facts."

2010 Census:
White Alone Population (as a percentage)
St. Paul: 55.9%
Minneapolis: 60.3%
Portland: 72.2%

Source:
Minnesota QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Oregon QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

I was talking about the whole Metropolitan Area

Old 05-01-2015, 12:15 PM

I really don't see why liberals are obsessed with 'diversity'
it's basically just an obsession about Race

OMG that place is terrible because the black population there is so low..........give it a break folks

stop putting labels on skin colour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or