U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city/metro would you rather live in?
MSP 60 60.00%
PDX 40 40.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 02:59 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,348,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNNY__ View Post
No way does Minneapolis have better dive bars than Portland. Better dance clubs, sports bars, and college bars - yes. But Portland destroys Minneapolis when it comes to dive bars. There are are dive bars everywhere throughout Portland (the quantity of dive bars in Portland is astounding) and it's the underlying fabric of Portland's drinking culture.
I'm going to Minneapolis at the end of May to visit friends. Meet me there, and I'll show you around. We'll get Juicy Lucys at Matt's, we'll listen to polka music sung by a 90-year old woman at Nye's, we'll get Greenies and Pinkies at Tony Jaro's after getting smashed off Primo on our crawl across Nordeast, we'll play bocce ball at Nomad's after checking out some gutterpunk bars in Cedar Riverside. We'll swing through Uptown and Whittier and see where the Replacements and Husker Du used to hang out back in the 80's. We'll do shots with Mexican trannys at the Yukon Club. If you're down, we could hit up some more working-class watering holes in Saint Paull. Then we'll talk about what city has better dive bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 03:02 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,639,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNNY__ View Post
No way does Minneapolis have better dive bars than Portland. Better dance clubs, sports bars, and college bars - yes. But Portland destroys Minneapolis when it comes to dive bars. There are are dive bars everywhere throughout Portland (the quantity of dive bars in Portland is astounding) and it's the underlying fabric of Portland's drinking culture.

So the areas where Portland clearly wins in terms of nightlife are brewpubs/beer bars, dive bars,strip clubs, and I'd give it the edge in cocktail lounges. Minneapolis clearly wins in terms of sports bars, college bars, dance clubs, and I'd give it the edge in music. One other advantage Minneapolis has is - although Portland has a much higher quantity of bars overall - Minneapolis has more vibrant and notable concentrations or "nightlife nodes". Portland has bars pretty evenly spread throughout the city - it can feel like one on every block - but it doesn't build much of a critical mass, if that makes sense.
I see what you're saying and I like your analysis, but I don't know if it's quite as different as you're describing. There really are tons of bars, especially in Northeast and neighborhoods in southeast Mpls like Powderhorn, Longfellow, and Nokomis. Remember that the "iconic" food of the Twin Cities (the Jucy Lucy) is pub food. We do have several major commercial hubs that have lots of bars (Uptown and the North Loop are probably the biggest these days), but the whole spread of the city favors small neighborhood-level commercial nodes over large commercial areas.

However I definitely see the difference you're pointing out. Portland and Minneapolis really are remarkably similar in a lot of ways, and I think you've put your finger on one of the subtler differences.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:03 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,498,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
You've clearly never been to Minneapolis.

The numbers I've found place Minneapolis at 63.8% white and Portland at 76.1%. Minneapolis is very diverse with rich immigrant communities from all over the world. Also, keep in mind that many of the whites in Minneapolis come from places like Russia, Ukraine, and Latin America, adding to diversity. While cities like Baltimore, Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and St. Louis may have less white people than Minneapolis, Minneapolis is nonetheless far more diverse than those cities in general. That said, Minneapolis is still a far cry away from New York, Chicago, Houston, LA, and even Sacramento.
Portland is actually pretty multicultural. The "whites" in Portland also include Romanians, Russians, Jews, Italians, and possibly even Gypsies. The North and East of Portland are very mixed race, parts of the "fifth quadrant" of the North feel very black and there are tons of Viets, African Muslims and Russians around and beyond 82nd Ave.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:06 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,498,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius Sirius View Post
I really don't see why liberals are obsessed with 'diversity'
it's basically just an obsession about Race

OMG that place is terrible because the black population there is so low..........give it a break folks

stop putting labels on skin colour
Yeah. When people say "diverse", they usually mean a low percentage of people who identity as White or Caucasian, which is a pretty narrow minded view of diversity. I mean how is a city that's 89 percent Black or Mexican diverse? Portland and MSP are both quite diverse when you consider the number of ethnic groups represented even if most people there would loosely fall under the "White" umbrella. Russians are NOT the same as Irish people.

And of course ethnic background is only one facet of diversity and probably not even the most important one. To me things like acceptance of different lifestyles, religions, orientations, and a diversity in interests (ie, not everyone is a meathead sports fan, hipster, whatever) is more important than what the people look like superficially since most Americans become identical to the "white mainstream" culturally after a few generations anyway.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:23 PM

668 posts, read 644,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
1) You're the one who keeps bring up race. Both on this thread and other threads as well. You're the one who started a therad about the whitest metropolitan areas. You're the one who posted a picture (I'm assuming of yourself) and made people guess where you're from based on your phenotype. You're the one who seems to be obsessed with race, and to that end, I'm suspect you're bating a fight about race now.

2) Diversity is not all about race. It's about national origin, religion, sexuality, social class, political ideology, education, economy, industry, etc. Hence my argument that Minneapolis is more diverse than Baltimore despite being much whiter than Baltimore. Everone knows this. Yet--again--you're making this about race.

3) The white population in Minneapolis is more diverse than the white population in Cincinnati. Cincinnati is a German town, with a small number of Irish and Scots-Irish scattered about. Minneapolis has Scandinavians and Germans as you pointed out, but also a huge Eastern European population in Nordeast. There are also a signicant number of Irish American in Minneapolis and French Canadians too.

I don't bait
seeing which metro areas are the whitest, is interesting

the phenotype thread was more of a joke, no obsession with race here
although thank you for stalking my posts !

when people mention diversity on CD, they mean racial diversity

No, the European population is more diverse in Cincinnati, you have Germans, poles, Ukrainians, Russians and western Europeans

Old 05-01-2015, 03:35 PM

1,376 posts, read 946,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Portland is actually pretty multicultural. The "whites" in Portland also include Romanians, Russians, Jews, Italians, and possibly even Gypsies. The North and East of Portland are very mixed race, parts of the "fifth quadrant" of the North feel very black and there are tons of Viets, African Muslims and Russians around and beyond 82nd Ave.
That's true, it's probably hard for people to know much about that unless they live here though or by just looking at statistics. My current neighborhood off of NE Sandy is full of Vietnamese markets and restaurants---and just down the road on NE Glisan there's a strip of East African halal markets and then 82nd is basically the Chinatown of Portland--but most people who visit Portland don't usually go through those areas. There's a number of Russians and Ethiopians scattered about as well-and then a lot of Mexican areas. But it's not really evident just by looking at census data that says Portland is 72% non-Hispanic white.

This is an article on the most diverse high school in Portland--which is way out east of 82nd.

David Douglas High School: A Miracle on 135th Avenue

I think both Portland and Minneapolis area have been locations for certain refugee groups or immigrants--the Twin Cities has more overall(like the Hmongs in St. Paul), but both have this segment of the population that's sort of changed parts of the city from what I've heard--according to the above article Portland has the 12th-largest per-capita refugee population in the country.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:49 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,348,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius Sirius View Post
I don't bait
seeing which metro areas are the whitest, is interesting

the phenotype thread was more of a joke, no obsession with race here
although thank you for stalking my posts !

when people mention diversity on CD, they mean racial diversity

No, the European population is more diverse in Cincinnati, you have Germans, poles, Ukrainians, Russians and western Europeans
You don't know what you're talking about.

One:
When we liberals talk about diversity, we mean all types of diversity. When we talk about race, we mean race.

Two:
I used city-data.com to make a list of all non-Hispanic white ancestries accounting for at least 1% of population of each city, and here's what I found:

Portland: 19% German, 12% Irish, 12% English, 5% Norwegian, 5% French, 4% Italian, 3% Swedish, 3% Scottish, 2% Scots-Irish, 2% Dutch, 2% Russian, 2% Polish, 1% Welsh, 1% Ukrainian, 1% Danish, 1% Swiss, 1% Czech, 1% Greek. 18 countries represented.

Minneapolis: 21% German, 11% Norwegian, 10% Irish, 8% Swedish, 6% English, 4% Polish, 3% French, 2 % Italian, 2% Scottish, 2% Czech, 1% Danish, 1% Dutch, 1% Russian, 1% Scotch-Irish, 1% French- Canadian, 1% Welsh, 1 % Arab. So, 17 countries represented.

Cincinnati: 20% German, 10% Irish, 5% English, 3% Italian, 2% French, 1% Scottish, 1% Polish, 1% Dutch, 1% Scots-Irish, 1% Russian. So, 10 countries represented.

Clearly, in terms of white people, BOTH Minneapolis and Portland are SIGNIFICANTLY more diverse than Cincinnati.

http://www.city-data.com/races/races...Minnesota.html
http://www.city-data.com/races/races...nati-Ohio.html
http://www.city-data.com/races/races...nd-Oregon.html

Old 05-01-2015, 04:05 PM

10,307 posts, read 12,451,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Strip clubs are beacons for the scum of society. A place for the sexually desperate to spend their money on unattractive, plastic bimbos.
I agree, was surprised to see someone cite strip clubs as positive.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:07 PM

1,376 posts, read 946,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I agree, was surprised to see someone cite strip clubs as positive.
I think they're fun as long as it's just an occasional night out.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:20 PM

2,533 posts, read 2,391,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Are strip clubs considered a good thing? I think they're repulsive and trashy.
A truly great city meets the entertainment interests of a vast array of people, without taking editorial positions on those interests. This means professional sports, world class museums and performing arts institutions, dance clubs, family-oriented attractions such as zoos and amusement parks, and.......strip clubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or