U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 08:08 AM

346 posts, read 288,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
You seriously lack reading comprehension skills and every time you reply to something I post you prove that. You chime in and never seem to truly comprehend what I'm replying about, yet you question every thing.

On a worldwide scale the Olympics was the biggest thing that happened for Atlanta (more positive too!). It put it "on the map" it wasn't a war or a fire, especially in the modern era. That was my original point. It's still baffling to me that afonega1 would act as if "Atlanta" had the war and not the entire South. I'm sure the city and state played a HUGE role in the war but to act as if people associate Atlanta with that globally is laughable.

So getting back to the question:

My answer and most likely many others would agree in this case, the Olympics. The (American) Civil War was an American War, apart of our American history. Why would that be more relevant to an aspiring Chinese or German Olympian/citizen watching the games?
I agree with you about the Olympics (and that it was something positive). From what I hear from tour companies and merchants now, a lot of Atlanta visitors (and international visitors) are looking for where The Hunger Games and The Walking Dead were filmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 02:57 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,937,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
You seriously lack reading comprehension skills and every time you reply to something I post you prove that. You chime in and never seem to truly comprehend what I'm replying about, yet you question every thing.

On a worldwide scale the Olympics was the biggest thing that happened for Atlanta (more positive too!). It put it "on the map" it wasn't a war or a fire, especially in the modern era. That was my original point. It's still baffling to me that afonega1 would act as if "Atlanta" had the war and not the entire South. I'm sure the city and state played a HUGE role in the war but to act as if people associate Atlanta with that globally is laughable.

So getting back to the question:

My answer and most likely many others would agree in this case, the Olympics. The (American) Civil War was an American War, apart of our American history. Why would that be more relevant to an aspiring Chinese or German Olympian/citizen watching the games?
You can't seem to participate in a discussion without being completely rude. You can stop trying to school me on comprehension - if you're looking for people to comprehend what you're saying you should think about trying to present your ideas a little more clearly. Your comment earlier was "The ONLY point it has over NYC is that it hosted the Olympics. Ironically, that's also probably the biggest thing that happened for Atlanta." It said nothing about a worldwide scale.

The Battle of Atlanta was a major part of Gone with the Wind, one of the best selling books of all time as well as one of the greatest films of all time (according to the American Film Institute). It has been read and viewed globally for 75 years, so I wouldn't write off the battle/burning as just being an American thing. Atlanta is pretty well-known for both events due to the book's/movie's popularity. I can't say for sure that Atlanta is known more worldwide for one than the other, but I'm sure you'll find some way to minimize the popularity of GWTW. The Olympics were a big deal for Atlanta and many people around the world are familiar with the city because of it, but it is also well-known for being burned and rising from the ashes - the Phoenix is the city's symbol.

Try to calm down and not take this so seriously. It's just a discussion, and everyone has different points of view.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 05-07-2015 at 03:33 PM..

Old 05-07-2015, 04:18 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,166,656 times
This is no doubt in my mind that Mexico City belongs on any list of the world's best cities. I am there for work quite often these days. It has the largest number of museums of any city in the world, spectacular architecture from many different eras, the best street food scene of any city I have been to, gorgeous natural environs - now that the air is cleaner you can see the towering mountains that ring the city, great and various nightlife. It also has close to perfect weather year round. It does indeed have some very bad parts, but for tourists they are easily avoided, and I have never felt unsafe.

It is a huge, bustling, cosmopolitan, sophisticated megalopolis, inexhaustible its attractions and activities, truly a distinctive world city.

On the other hand, why is Atlanta even being discussed? It is a perfectly fine regional US center, but with very little current global interest or importance. You could make a case for Atlanta being one of the top ten cities in the U.S., but 90% of it looks like any other sprawling sunbelt U.S. city. There is not much that is distinctive . . . No one claims that Montreal, Mexico City, Los Angeles are great cities because they hosted the Olympics??

Old 05-07-2015, 05:31 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,303,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckshere View Post
I agree with you about the Olympics (and that it was something positive). From what I hear from tour companies and merchants now, a lot of Atlanta visitors (and international visitors) are looking for where The Hunger Games and The Walking Dead were filmed.
Yeh you are right.I also hear people asking about those films and shows also.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
This is no doubt in my mind that Mexico City belongs on any list of the world's best cities. I am there for work quite often these days. It has the largest number of museums of any city in the world, spectacular architecture from many different eras, the best street food scene of any city I have been to, gorgeous natural environs - now that the air is cleaner you can see the towering mountains that ring the city, great and various nightlife. It also has close to perfect weather year round. It does indeed have some very bad parts, but for tourists they are easily avoided, and I have never felt unsafe.

It is a huge, bustling, cosmopolitan, sophisticated megalopolis, inexhaustible its attractions and activities, truly a distinctive world city.

On the other hand, why is Atlanta even being discussed? It is a perfectly fine regional US center, but with very little current global interest or importance. You could make a case for Atlanta being one of the top ten cities in the U.S., but 90% of it looks like any other sprawling sunbelt U.S. city. There is not much that is distinctive . . . No one claims that Montreal, Mexico City, Los Angeles are great cities because they hosted the Olympics??
Atlanta is being discussed like other cities have been discussed.People like myself like it quite abit.It does not have to be in the top 10 cities just to be good place for people to want to be in order to be a great place.

No said anything about Atlanta hosting the Olympics makes it a great city but YOU.

I have little interst in going to Mexico City , when there are more places I would and want to go first.
I expect Atlanta is the same.Maybe even more but it comes down to many factors for each individual.
Why some are offended that some rather visit a city like Atlanta is more puzzling.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:56 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,398,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
Wishful thinking .

Quite amusing that one could think anyone in the mighty NYC could possibly feel "threatened" by Atlanta? Surely, the only place NYC could feel "threatened" by are cities on its level - like London?

It's like Queen Elizabeth feeling threatened by Honey Boo Boo. LOL.
LOL at Honey Boo Boo

Old 05-08-2015, 07:49 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,266,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post

I don't particularly like Atlanta, but it should probably be ranked above Mexico City. Mexico City is poor, polluted, ugly, dangerous, horrific traffic, and practically worst weather in Mexico (rainy and surprisingly cold due to elevation). It's a pretty bad place to live unless you're fabulously rich.

Really the only thing I agree with you on is the great street food. I don't find the natural scenery to be "gorgeous" the architecture to be "spectacular" (this one is really odd, the biggest boom period in DF, by far, was the 1970's, and the architecture from that era is atrocious), and it isn't a very good museum city, at all. There is basically one world-class museum, the anthropology museum. There are probably 10 cities in Italy alone with better museums. Florence is a museum city not DF.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:04 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,166,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't particularly like Atlanta, but it should probably be ranked above Mexico City. Mexico City is poor, polluted, ugly, dangerous, horrific traffic, and practically worst weather in Mexico (rainy and surprisingly cold due to elevation). It's a pretty bad place to live unless you're fabulously rich.

Really the only thing I agree with you on is the great street food. I don't find the natural scenery to be "gorgeous" the architecture to be "spectacular" (this one is really odd, the biggest boom period in DF, by far, was the 1970's, and the architecture from that era is atrocious), and it isn't a very good museum city, at all. There is basically one world-class museum, the anthropology museum. There are probably 10 cities in Italy alone with better museums. Florence is a museum city not DF.
I beg to differ: I would call this "gorgeous" natural surroundings:

http://www.basicplanet.com/wp-conten...es_picture.jpg

I would call this very temperate weather:

Weather and Climate: Mexico City, Mexico, average monthly , Rainfall (millimeter), Temperatures (fahrenheit), Sunshine, Wind Speed

Architecture:

http://www.agchmx.org/wp-content/upl...03/Terraza.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK5KgeV3Iqk

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mariodeleo/3002246875

http://www.culturaltravelguide.com/w...le-420x332.jpg

https://fromalaskatobrazil.files.wor...ican-tower.jpg

http://previews.123rf.com/images/yyy...tock-Photo.jpg

http://www.theworldorbust.com/wp-con...Roma-Norte.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/81134988.jpg

I could go on, but these are a few highlights

Sure there is a lot of ugliness in DF, but that is true of most megalopolises of 20 million people or so. There are large chunks of the city that look like this:

http://images.world66.com/sl/um/_q/s...th_galleryfull

Very few cities have the architectural variety of DF, and none in North America: from Aztec pyramids to more 17th and 18th century Spanish buildings than you can find in Madrid to the beautiful old colonial plazas of San Angel and Coyoacan through the Porfirian beaux arts splendor of neighborhoods like Condesa and Roma Norte and the madness of Mexican modernism to some pretty great postmodern buildings.

As for museums, there are close to 200 of them in DF, sure many of them niche, but if you think the Anthropology Museum is the only one worth visiting, you need to try harder There is also a ton of great public art from Rivera murals onwards.

While there are indeed many poor people in Mexico City, there are also many extraordinarily rich ones and a HUGE middle- class. The city is undergoing something of a Renaissance. It has cleaned up hugely in the last five years or so, and is currently undeserving of many of the old "dangerous, polluted" stereotypes - traffic though remains nightmarish

It has WAY WAY more to offer a visitor than Atlanta - no knock on Atlanta, which is not a primate city with eight hundred years of history behind it. I would not want to be poor anywhere, and I would much rather be middle class or rich in DF than in Atlanta. There is just so much more to experience in DF.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:56 PM

98 posts, read 103,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

Do you seriously think that more young people around the world would prefer to live in Atlanta than Mexico City?

This is a survey asking young people where *they'd like to live*, not where their Grandparents think would be a sensible place for them to live.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wt View Post
Do you seriously think that more young people around the world would prefer to live in Atlanta than Mexico City?

This is a survey asking young people where *they'd like to live*, not where their Grandparents think would be a sensible place for them to live.

Ignorant post but anyway.There are over 25 colleges and universities in metro Atlanta.I just left the Shaky Knees Music Festival after dropping off 3 Austrian guest in their 20's visiting.It drew 18,000 people last year.Not to mention Tomorrowworld which is one of the biggest in North America.
You probably never heard of Freaknic but Atlanta was ground central for years for this event during spring break for students all over the U.S.in the 90's until it got to out of hand.

I have lived all over the world and I can tel you Mexico City is nowhere near my top of list of cities.Neither is Atlanta if you are talking about money is no object.

Atlanta just is not well known but that has no bearing on whether its a good place for young people.Im sorry but if you have to worry about being kidnapped on top of violence,then there is no interest in it for me.
How in the world would you think its largely for old people?
Atlanta ranks pretty highly for most popular cities for young people in America.Nobody would suggest it should be in the top 20 but its hardly a slouch in attracting young people.

Best Cities For Singles: #1 Atlanta - Forbes.com

Quote:
A recent study found that city residents are more likely to go to events (parties, seminars, music festivals) than anywhere else in the U.S.
The 20 Best Cities for 20-Somethings | Greatist

Vocativ: Best Cities For People Under 35 - Business Insider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or