U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-10-2015, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,887,631 times
Reputation: 2908

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Well, according to the US Census, in 2013 there were only 32,367 people living in the city of Atlanta who were born outside the US, many of them not Mexican. Are you referring to the metro area? In 2013, there were 719,428 foreign-born residents in the metro, but again, many were not Mexican, certainly not 600,000 of them. In fact, in 2012, the US census lists 336,013 Mexicans living in the entire metro area, so of course the actual number in the city would be very low. You seem to pull numbers out of thin air.

American FactFinder - Results
He probably meant Hispanics in the metro area.Its really not relevant either way because Americans arfe moving to places where the dollar will stretch the furthest.Just because Mexico City has a number of Americans does not make it better than say Paris,London,etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2015, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,793 posts, read 12,788,161 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes we should believe in the competency of a Mexican government agency to report accurate and honest crime reports when corruption runs rampant in Mexican politics.
First, considering the state of police corruption in the US these days, should we trust them?

Second, how is it in any way less reliable than some random blog with no citations?

Third, you're not actually making any argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,793 posts, read 12,788,161 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes I am..I know Phoenix has a problem but thats it.I would asssume if there are cities in the U.S.,then they are those near the border with Mexico
You specifically said that random kidnappings don't happen in American cities. Have you ever seen a missing child poster... like ever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,793 posts, read 12,788,161 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
He probably meant Hispanics in the metro area.Its really not relevant either way because Americans arfe moving to places where the dollar will stretch the furthest.Just because Mexico City has a number of Americans does not make it better than say Paris,London,etc.
"Better" is subjective. I wouldn't want to live in either of those other cities, but others would. But how about people at least stick to the facts rather than stereotypes and bs numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,793 posts, read 12,788,161 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
If this number of 1,416 is right, I stand corrected. My apologies.

But a rate of 48 per 100,000 does not put Mexico City anywhere close to the most dangerous city on Earth.

And according to your map, the state of Guerrero which borders Mexico City, has murder rate of 62 per 100,000.
Guerrero does NOT border the DF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 12:02 PM
 
Location: 98004 / 30327
557 posts, read 455,318 times
Reputation: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Guerrero does NOT border the DF.
According to the map it borders the Mexico City metro. And what about your figure of 500 something homicides? Is that correct or is the 1300 figure correct? There's no way there's that sort of variance between years. I'm convinced at this point that no posted figures are correct and the record keeping by their metropolitan police departments are dubious at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,793 posts, read 12,788,161 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
According to the map it borders the Mexico City metro. And what about your figure of 500 something homicides? Is that correct or is the 1300 figure correct? There's no way there's that sort of variance between years. I'm convinced at this point that no posted figures are correct and the record keeping by their metropolitan police departments are dubious at best.
No it doesn't. The metro is largely oriented within the federal district itself and then north into the northeastern part of the State of Mexico. Guerrero is southwest, and the states of Morelos and Mexico lie between it, but not a part of the Mexico state where any of the metro is. Either way, Guerrero does not share a border with the DF.

That was the reported figure for the city. You're right, there is no variance like that between the years, mostly because that figure your site has is ridiculous.

Even US crime figures are somewhat in doubt because there have been multiple cases of city police departments faking numbers. You're never going to find 100% honest and correct data no matter where you're talking about. It's likely that the Mexico City numbers are not exact. But it's pretty much impossible that there's a 10-fold difference between what's reported and the real thing. People on the ground would kind of notice that their city is a war-zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 12:20 PM
 
Location: 98004 / 30327
557 posts, read 455,318 times
Reputation: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
No it doesn't. The metro is largely oriented within the federal district itself and then north into the northeastern part of the State of Mexico. Guerrero is southwest, and the states of Morelos and Mexico lie between it, but not a part of the Mexico state where any of the metro is. Either way, Guerrero does not share a border with the DF.

That was the reported figure for the city. You're right, there is no variance like that between the years, mostly because that figure your site has is ridiculous.

Even US crime figures are somewhat in doubt because there have been multiple cases of city police departments faking numbers. You're never going to find 100% honest and correct data no matter where you're talking about. It's likely that the Mexico City numbers are not exact. But it's pretty much impossible that there's a 10-fold difference between what's reported and the real thing. People on the ground would kind of notice that their city is a war-zone.
Oh ok. Well I was using this map:

Comparing Mexican states with equivalent countries: Murderous matches | The Economist

And Red John posted that the DF was called "Mexico" on this map. So if that's not the DF, then he was wrong about that. And your figures for the murder rate for the DF are as low as NYC's. Which seems even more unlikely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
4,648 posts, read 3,034,106 times
Reputation: 3867
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Well, according to the US Census, in 2013 there were only 32,367 people living in the city of Atlanta who were born outside the US, many of them not Mexican. Are you referring to the metro area? In 2013, there were 719,428 foreign-born residents in the metro, but again, many were not Mexican, certainly not 600,000 of them. In fact, in 2012, the US census lists 336,013 Mexicans living in the entire metro area, so of course the actual number in the city would be very low. You seem to pull numbers out of thin air.

American FactFinder - Results
Nobody uses City Limits for anything here unless it fits their particular agenda, so no.

People not here legally don't tend to fill out Census forms, do they? The Atlanta Regional Commission has estimated our Mexican population could be as high as 750,000. Living in the part of the Metro where most have settled, I guarantee that the 336,013 figure is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,887,631 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You specifically said that random kidnappings don't happen in American cities. Have you ever seen a missing child poster... like ever?
No I did not,My statement was in context that kidnapping in Mexico City are not as prevalent as the are in most American cities.
When has the Mexican state department ever had to issue warnings to citizens about kidnappings in the U.S.?

Last edited by afonega1; 05-10-2015 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top