U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-10-2015, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Reputation: 2908

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
There is so much anti-Mexican bias in the US that it's no surprise some people can't handle the thought that a US city may not be a popular as a Mexican one. The ridiculous questions I get from Americans about me living in Mexico is near constant.
Anti Mexican bias?LOLReally?Have you seen the beaches in Mexico?The majority of tourist areAmerican by far.
Mexico is not one of my favorite places but I'd go if the opportunity came up but there are so many places in even the Caribean and South America I have never been.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2015, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
First, considering the state of police corruption in the US these days, should we trust them?

Second, how is it in any way less reliable than some random blog with no citations?

Third, you're not actually making any argument.
So the U.S. government is more or less as corrrupt as Mexico?Is that your point?

Im not disputing the facts of a blog,I just said how is it relevant to the conversation?

No Im not making an argument.I'm dispelling why the current argument is irrelevant because the truth is there are several cities in the world that should be placed ahead of Mexico City.
Im not making the argument that Atlanta should as I am making the argument that why not if it were more well known which is really the issue more than if its "worthy".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Amongst the AZ Cactus
7,074 posts, read 4,571,682 times
Reputation: 7672
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
1. New York City
2. London
3. Berlin
4. San Francisco
5. Paris
6. Toronto
7. Chicago
8. Los Angeles
9. Mexico City

10. Amsterdam

New York City Most Popular City for Ages 15 to 29, Says YouthfulCities

Based on the cost of living in many of those cities and with the current job market for most average people in that age range, perhaps we can rename the list "youthful and starving in the most popular cities"?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times
Reputation: 7295
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
But a rate of 48 per 100,000 does not put Mexico City anywhere close to the most dangerous city on Earth.
Again, it is not about rate but the total. I honestly cant believe you posted that article and didn't even bother to think twice about the numbers they threw out at you. 4,000 homicides is a lot, in fact so much to the point where they isn't any city on Earth right now of any size, be it 8.5 million or 40 million, where it is averaging 4,000 murders a year.

Why would anyone willingly believe that Mexico City would somehow be the first to do so (outside of areas that are in war or war-like conditions)?

By the way, Mexico City's homicide total is 786 annually, for a rate of 8.88 per 100,000. The state of Mexico which is independent and autonomous from Mexico City (therefore Mexico City is NOT apart of it) has a total homicide count of 1,416 annually, for a rate of 9.33 per 100,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
And according to your map, the state of Guerrero which borders Mexico City, has murder rate of 62 per 100,000.
Guerrero is irrelevant to the conversation of Mexico City (the Distrito Federal) and its encompassing metropolitan region.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 03:30 PM
 
Location: 98004 / 30327
555 posts, read 452,004 times
Reputation: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Again, it is not about rate but the total. I honestly cant believe you posted that article and didn't even bother to think twice about the numbers they threw out at you. 4,000 homicides is a lot, in fact so much to the point where they isn't any city on Earth right now of any size, be it 8.5 million or 40 million, where it is averaging 4,000 murders a year.
Rio de Janeiro. Population of the metro area (Rio de Janeiro state) is 16 million and they average 4000 murders a year.

4000 murders in a population of 16 million.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times
Reputation: 7295
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
Rio de Janeiro. Population of the metro area (Rio de Janeiro state) is 16 million and they average 4000 murders a year.

4000 murders in a population of 16 million.
If true that is unacceptable. Rio de Janeiro is pathetic for letting over 4,000 people get slaughtered a year, if the total murders you are reporting pans out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,765 posts, read 12,741,891 times
Reputation: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
Oh ok. Well I was using this map:

Comparing Mexican states with equivalent countries: Murderous matches | The Economist

And Red John posted that the DF was called "Mexico" on this map. So if that's not the DF, then he was wrong about that. And your figures for the murder rate for the DF are as low as NYC's. Which seems even more unlikely.
DF is the very small tear drop-shaped state northeast of Guerrero. If you go southeast from there, you pretty much have to go through all of Morelos before reaching it, and Morelos has no part of the metro.

Why would they be unlikely? Because the assumption is that Mexico City is more dangerous than NYC? Based on what?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,765 posts, read 12,741,891 times
Reputation: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Nobody uses City Limits for anything here unless it fits their particular agenda, so no.

People not here legally don't tend to fill out Census forms, do they? The Atlanta Regional Commission has estimated our Mexican population could be as high as 750,000. Living in the part of the Metro where most have settled, I guarantee that the 336,013 figure is a joke.
I posted the numbers for city and metro, so why even comment about that?

I'm not interested in suppositions. There are plenty of foreigners living in Mexico that are not officially registered as well, so I really don't care what you guarantee, because you can't honestly guarantee anything.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,765 posts, read 12,741,891 times
Reputation: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
No I did not,My statement was in context that kidnapping in Mexico City are not as prevalent as the are in most American cities.
When has the Mexican state department ever had to issue warnings to citizens about kidnappings in the U.S.?
Your direct quote is: I don't know of any cities that have random kidnappings in America. Pretty straightforward.

The US freaks out about everything, regardless of the actual threat. Look at the kind of misinformation and outright lies people believe about it here. Look at what happened with the Ebola scare, so the state department being a fearmonger about Mexico City is hardly surprising. Lots of people love to lap that up. I'm the one on the ground there and you still believe I have to dodge bullets, drug lords and kidnappers on a daily basis while choking on toxic air while stuck in infinite traffic.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,765 posts, read 12,741,891 times
Reputation: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Anti Mexican bias?LOLReally?Have you seen the beaches in Mexico?The majority of tourist areAmerican by far.
Mexico is not one of my favorite places but I'd go if the opportunity came up but there are so many places in even the Caribean and South America I have never been.
You really think spring break in Cancun is some kind of cross section of Mexican society and life, or a statement on American attitudes to the country as a whole?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top