U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-10-2015, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,791 posts, read 12,767,534 times
Reputation: 5454

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
So the U.S. government is more or less as corrrupt as Mexico?Is that your point?

Im not disputing the facts of a blog,I just said how is it relevant to the conversation?

No Im not making an argument.I'm dispelling why the current argument is irrelevant because the truth is there are several cities in the world that should be placed ahead of Mexico City.
Im not making the argument that Atlanta should as I am making the argument that why not if it were more well known which is really the issue more than if its "worthy".
I made no statements as to the level of corruption, only that numbers in both cases could easily be manipulated (and have been), so there is no reason to fully trust either one. But I see no reason to believe that the actual number of murders are 10x higher than what is being reported, making Mexico City easily one of the most dangerous cities in the world and practically a war zone. That is nonsense and anyone who has spent any significant time here would know how laughable that is.

It was a poll, meaning that it's subjective. There is no "should" because it's based on opinions. You're butthurt because Atlanta wasn't where you wanted it to be. Too bad. I'm not arguing where Mexico City should or shouldn't be on a subjective list. I'm only arguing against claims being made here that are stereotypes or misinformation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2015, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,872,415 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Your direct quote is: I don't know of any cities that have random kidnappings in America. Pretty straightforward.

The US freaks out about everything, regardless of the actual threat. Look at the kind of misinformation and outright lies people believe about it here. Look at what happened with the Ebola scare, so the state department being a fearmonger about Mexico City is hardly surprising. Lots of people love to lap that up. I'm the one on the ground there and you still believe I have to dodge bullets, drug lords and kidnappers on a daily basis while choking on toxic air while stuck in infinite traffic.
You can play semantics all day but you know what I responded City to.What city in the U.S. has as many kidnappings as Mexico City?Keep avoiding answering the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,872,415 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You really think spring break in Cancun is some kind of cross section of Mexican society and life, or a statement on American attitudes to the country as a whole?
What I think is that people in different countries will form opinions based on little evidence whether its true or not.
I hear things about America from people who have never been here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,872,415 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I made no statements as to the level of corruption, only that numbers in both cases could easily be manipulated (and have been), so there is no reason to fully trust either one. But I see no reason to believe that the actual number of murders are 10x higher than what is being reported, making Mexico City easily one of the most dangerous cities in the world and practically a war zone. That is nonsense and anyone who has spent any significant time here would know how laughable that is.

It was a poll, meaning that it's subjective. There is no "should" because it's based on opinions. You're butthurt because Atlanta wasn't where you wanted it to be. Too bad. I'm not arguing where Mexico City should or shouldn't be on a subjective list. I'm only arguing against claims being made here that are stereotypes or misinformation.
"Butthurt"?Umm..no.Not at all.There are MANY cities I would have listed before Mexico City.That was my point.Not just Atlanta

Whatever the case maybe ,there is no way you will convince me that Mexico City is safer than most U.S. cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,791 posts, read 12,767,534 times
Reputation: 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You can play semantics all day but you know what I responded City to.What city in the U.S. has as many kidnappings as Mexico City?Keep avoiding answering the question.
Mexico City reported about 62-65 in 2013 based on the half-year rate from the report I posted. In a city of almost 9 million, the kidnapping rate would be 0.7 per 100,000 based on the higher number and using 2010's population. Hardly a pandemic. I have no idea what the rates would be in other cities, but I imagine they're also low. I'm sure, however, that you think the real number is many times higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,791 posts, read 12,767,534 times
Reputation: 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
What I think is that people in different countries will form opinions based on little evidence whether its true or not.
I hear things about America from people who have never been here too.
You think that yet you're doing it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,791 posts, read 12,767,534 times
Reputation: 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
"Butthurt"?Umm..no.Not at all.There are MANY cities I would have listed before Mexico City.That was my point.Not just Atlanta

Whatever the case maybe ,there is no way you will convince me that Mexico City is safer than most U.S. cities.
The list wasn't "World's Best Cities According to Afonega1", so honestly, who cares where you would place them. I do care only that you're making blanket statements about a place using nothing but stereotypes and factually untrue information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 08:33 PM
 
Location: The Mid-Cities
1,080 posts, read 1,381,899 times
Reputation: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
But I see no reason to believe that the actual number of murders are 10x higher than what is being reported, making Mexico City easily one of the most dangerous cities in the world and practically a war zone.
There are many parts in the country that are indeed dangerous and an actual "war-zone". Mexico City is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 08:40 PM
 
Location: livin' the good life
2,117 posts, read 3,541,252 times
Reputation: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
First, considering the state of police corruption in the US these days, should we trust them?

Second, how is it in any way less reliable than some random blog with no citations?

Third, you're not actually making any argument.
first, bull crap on police corruption...just a Obama, Democratic fallacy. The corruption is in the White House and Clinton household.
second, Mexico as a whole is a cess pool, why the heck would you want to spend your life there, weird
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Montana
522 posts, read 528,314 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
first, bull crap on police corruption...just a Obama, Democratic fallacy. The corruption is in the White House and Clinton household.
second, Mexico as a whole is a cess pool, why the heck would you want to spend your life there, weird
As a liberal I agree. There's a reason why all the Mexicans want to come over here so bad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top