U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 11:13 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times

Advertisements

I see the "Lambs" have been silent.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 02:56 PM

2,201 posts, read 4,000,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Missing Vegas, Miami , Cancun, to name a few.
You're kidding right?

Old 05-12-2015, 03:47 PM

12,765 posts, read 12,741,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Im not saying Atlanta is perfect.perfect. Btw I have lived all over the world so lets not get snooty as my horizons are very wide.Im very aware of what the world offers and I am not saying Atlanta should be up there but its hardly what people are acting like its a small regional city like Birmingham.

25 Cities With Extremely High Homeless Populations - NewsLinQ

Youths struggle to survive on Mexico City's streets - Houston Chronicle

Yes Atlanta has a high poverty rate for but Miami,Houston,Dallas and many other cities are in the same range.Mainly because these cities are not as dense or have high populations of immigrants.
You seem to focus only on a handful of problems but ignore everything else because it makes for a convenient argument. If you're going to throw around poverty as an issue in, as you have put it, a "third world" city, then your own city should NOT have a quarter of its population in similar conditions, especially when the US is in no way anywhere close to 3rd World. It seems to me to be an even larger disgrace because the resources ARE there.

What does density have to do with poverty?

Old 05-12-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
America is the richest country in the world? When did that happen?
If I said "one of", that wouldn't change the point whatsoever.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
You said I made blankets statements and stereotypes.Like what?When will you stop avoiding my questions?Hardly backtracking just clarifying because you seem to want to attribute things that I never implied.

I said as I say again Mexico City is not on my immediate list of cities or places I wish to go soon.That does not make it a bad place,just not a high priority.
You have made pretty significant generalizations about crime and others that were factually untrue.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You have made pretty significant generalizations about crime and others that were factually untrue.
And yet you still have not named which "factually: untrue statements you are referring too because you cant.You just dont want to hear the truth.So Mexico City does not have a high crime rate?Kidnapping is not rampant?

I really dont care what you think as I have said what I find ridiculous about MC being ranked so highly while condeming some cities in the U.S.

You can go on all you want but he average income of people in Atlanta is higher,and while poverty is high.the threshhold for poverty is also higher in the U.S. because in the U.S. you can at least find some job and be poor with some government assistence but in Mexico City you cant get any job,no help and chances are greater you will be homeless.A fact you just wanna gloss over because they have nice museums,a great subway and architecture.

Look you can love Mexico City.Im trul not trying to make it a bad place but you are delusional for ignoring REAL problems that plague almost half he people live there.

If Atlanta gets worse with its income disparity Im sure I will leave as I also dont care for cities like Miami for one of the reasons of its extreme wealth and poverty like Mexico City.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:40 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Mexico City has very high crime, and extremely high rate of kidnappings. You are completely ridiculous to argue otherwise. Everyone I know from DF (and I know a fair amount of wealthy people from some of the nicest, safest areas) has told me the stories. Rich people have armored, bullet-proof cars, electric fences and body guards. This is the norm.

And there are no real stats on DF crime; the govt. does not have any reliable criminal stats repository.

More often than not in Mexico, govt. leaders and organized crime are one and the same. Citizens are on their own.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Mexico City has very high crime, and extremely high rate of kidnappings. You are completely ridiculous to argue otherwise. Everyone I know from DF (and I know a fair amount of wealthy people from some of the nicest, safest areas) has told me the stories. Rich people have armored, bullet-proof cars, electric fences and body guards. This is the norm.

And there are no real stats on DF crime; the govt. does not have any reliable criminal stats repository.

More often than not in Mexico, govt. leaders and organized crime are one and the same. Citizens are on their own.
What do you mean?America has corrupt people too.America is as corrupt as Mexico.That why Ferguson and Balitmore are exploding.

You are just a provincial American that knows nothing like us more worldly educated people.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:13 AM

[quote]
Quote:
And yet you still have not named which "factually:
untrue statements you are referring too because you cant.You just dont want
to hear the truth.So Mexico City does not have a high crime rate?Kidnapping
is not rampant?
No, it doesn't. The numbers don't bear that out and I provided at least a few links that show the contrary. These are factually untrue statements.

Quote:
I really dont care what you think as I have said what I find ridiculous about
MC being ranked so highly while condeming some cities in the U.S.
"I don't understand why Atlanta is not ranked above a city I know nothing about!"

Quote:
You can go on all you want but he average income of people in Atlanta is
higher,and while poverty is high.the threshhold for poverty is also higher in
the U.S. because in the U.S. you can at least find some job and be poor with
some government assistence but in Mexico City you cant get any job,no help and
chances are greater you will be homeless.A fact you just wanna gloss over
because they have nice museums,a great subway and architecture.
Most people work in jobs that aren't even officially registered with the government. Perhaps as high as 60%-80% of the population is self-employed in some fashion or works under the table. It's difficult, if not impossible, to actually measure the average income in the city based on that. I have no idea what the average income is here, and neither do you, so you can't make any honest claims about it. We do know that the official minimum wage is significantly lower than it is in the US, but almost no one works for that here. There are certainly a lot more government programs to assist the poor/homeless in Atlanta, no doubt, which is what makes the fact that a quarter of the population lives in poverty such a damning statistic. It should not be anywhere near that high.

Well, at least you finally admit some positives.

Quote:
Look you can love Mexico City.Im trul not trying to make it a bad place but you
are delusional for ignoring REAL problems that plague almost half he people live
there.
No one is ignoring the real problems. My argument is that you are making false statements as to the scale of them because you seem personally insulted at the suggestion that some people prefer MC over Atlanta.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

So wait, if there are no reliable crime stats, how do you know crime is high?

Where do you people get this crap from? Hey, NOLA has the highest crime rate in the universe. A friend told me that you have to live in a plastic bubble there just to survive. True story. I've been raped, kidnapped and mugged 57 times in the last 24 hours here in MC, but it's not THAT bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or