U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 09:56 AM

2,151 posts, read 2,660,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, it doesn't. Look what up? Where??

When they measure "rooms for NYC" they are measuring Manhattan only. They aren't measuring even the city proper. And there is no source for rooms in the metro area.

Metro Atlanta, with 7 million people, has around the same number of rooms as Manhattan, with 1.7 million people. They both have slightly over 100,000 rooms. But obviously the NYC area, which is more than three times the size, and a vastly larger business and leisure destination, will have many times more rooms than Atlanta of all places.
I have ro say I was a bit surprised to see Toronto and even LA, on that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 09:57 AM

571 posts, read 567,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Good god, you are so jealous of Canadian cities, lol. You are such a troll! And so boring!
Said no one ever

Old 05-01-2015, 09:58 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,365,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes, there is a source if you know where to go, oh smart one. And Metro Atlanta is not at 7 million, it's approaching 6 million. Get your facts straight before you spout off.

Until very recently, Atlanta was ranked 3rd. New York has obviously experienced quite a hotel boom in the last several years, causing in to pass several cities in the ranking. And Atlanta 'of all places' has a larger convention industry than your precious New York. There's a source for that too, if you know where to look.
Why don't you just link us to this supposed source because I've checked several sources and none have Atlanta with more hotel rooms than New York... nevermind the 3rd most in the country which is what you stated. You told us to "look it up", we did, and we have information that contradicts your claim.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:00 AM

561 posts, read 486,497 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't. Look what up? Where??

When they measure "rooms for NYC" they are measuring Manhattan only. They aren't measuring even the city proper. And there is no source for rooms in the metro area.

Metro Atlanta, with 7 million people, has around the same number of rooms as Manhattan, with 1.7 million people. They both have slightly over 100,000 rooms. But obviously the NYC area, which is more than three times the size, and a vastly larger business and leisure destination, will have many times more rooms than Atlanta of all places.
Where do you get that they are only measuring the island of Manhattan? Not saying you're wrong. I ask because this list provided by another poster...

Top Ten U.S. Cities by Hotel Rooms - Loyalty Traveler - Loyalty Traveler

...clearly refers to metro areas. And it shows that Atlanta has nearly as many hotel rooms as the Los Angeles-Long Beach MSA, which is more than twice its size!

So why would they use MSA for the other top 10 and not even the city proper for NYC?

Also, Atlanta doesn't have 7 million people. And I would say it's hugely impressive that Atlanta has more hotel rooms than DFW or Greater Houston despite being smaller than both. And it has almost as many hotel rooms as greater Los Angeles, despite being less than half its size.

So Atlanta is top ten but not top 5. The top 5 assertion isn't crazy by any means though. Because as recently as the year 2000, it was top 4:

Atlanta fourth in U.S. in number of hotel rooms - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 05-01-2015, 10:00 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,912,763 times
City Data rationale: I would take this city over that city, the poll was not done with you in mind lol.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:22 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,244,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
Where do you get that they are only measuring the island of Manhattan? Not saying you're wrong. I ask because this list provided by another poster...
The NYC Convention and Visitors Bureau only measures hotel rooms for the address "New York". Manhattan is "New York" by address. Brooklyn, Queens, etc. are listed separately.

There is no one adding together all the hotel rooms for the entire tri-state metro area. Probably someone could come up with some rough estimate, but you would have to add together most of the hotel rooms in three states (and a few hotels in a fourth state). You would probably have to get numbers from 15-20 different CVBs, since the region is so disjointed.
Quote:
...clearly refers to metro areas. And it shows that Atlanta has nearly as many hotel rooms as the Los Angeles-Long Beach MSA, which is more than twice its size!
It makes no sense. They are measuring the Atlanta metro area (7 million per the CVB) with LA County (10 million?), I believe. I think the LA numbers are the county, since that is the CVB geography. It's still impressive for Atlanta, though, because it's a smaller population and less of a tourist town.

These numbers are all pulled by the local CVBs. It has zero to do with an actual comparative ranking. They just contact local CVBs for the numbers.
Quote:
Also, Atlanta doesn't have 7 million people.
It actually does. These are CVB boundaries, which are even more extensive than the 6.3 million or whatever in the metro area. They are counting most of North Georgia.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:51 AM

561 posts, read 486,497 times
Quote:
The NYC Convention and Visitors Bureau only measures hotel rooms for the address "New York". Manhattan is "New York" by address. Brooklyn, Queens, etc. are listed separately.

There is no one adding together all the hotel rooms for the entire tri-state metro area. Probably someone could come up with some rough estimate, but you would have to add together most of the hotel rooms in three states (and a few hotels in a fourth state). You would probably have to get numbers from 15-20 different CVBs, since the region is so disjointed.

It makes no sense. They are measuring the Atlanta metro area (7 million per the CVB) with LA County (10 million?), I believe. I think the LA numbers are the county, since that is the CVB geography. It's still impressive for Atlanta, though, because it's a smaller population and less of a tourist town.

These numbers are all pulled by the local CVBs. It has zero to do with an actual comparative ranking. They just contact local CVBs for the numbers.

It actually does. These are CVB boundaries, which are even more extensive than the 6.3 million or whatever in the metro area. They are counting most of North Georgia.
So you're saying the CVB is basing their calculations - in one instance - on the population of a single burrough. And in another instance, the population of a county. And in yet another instance, the entire top half of a state?

Would you post a link to their methodology? Like, where it explains that they're comparing LA County to the top half of Georgia, etc?

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2015, 11:02 AM

6,554 posts, read 10,257,939 times
Dallas being on the list makes me chuckle when you consider that Mitchell Schnurman of the Dallas Morning News recently (Nov. 2014) did a 2-part expose on how Dallas is not popular with young people.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 05-01-2015 at 11:20 AM..

Old 05-01-2015, 11:05 AM

451 posts, read 322,651 times
Quote:
And if those "hot, fashionable Mexican women" enter a relationship with you, I 100% guarantee they will want to leave DF for the U.S., even if you live in Bumblefunk, North Dakota.

Mexico City, BTW is not known for its women. Guadalajara and Jalisco and Sinaloa are famous for beautiful women. The women in DF tend to be from the South, and are not known for their beauty. Only the rich parts have lots of hot women.

I don't know what "music and dancing" you're referring to. The traditional forms of dancing and music associated with Mexico (mariachi and the like) have nothing to do with DF.

Chilangos do have good food; I'll give you that. But I still don't think too many people would move to DF just becuase there are a billion street food vendors, many of them delicious. It's a VERY difficult city to deal with (and I'm there for business on-and-off; even as a spoiled business traveler with a generous expensive account the town is a massive pain).
Well, the girls I'm talking to seem to love DF and have good jobs there. I'm also going to visit a girl from Guadalajara, she's originally from the South. South, North, there are all forms of attractiveness to be appreciated in the Mestizo spectrum. Indio-Mestizo, Mestizo, Castizo, Guero, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:11 AM

831 posts, read 932,747 times
Contrary to popular belief not all young people want a city where they can get drunk every night.

Most young people are also interested in vibrant arts and cultural scenes, liberal minded populations, and multicultural meccas. Many would rather go to museums and galleries than spend a night on the town. They too like cities with low crime rates, good schools, healthcare, social services, and yes even social and political stability. To add even more shock to the discussion not all of them want to work at Stabucks for the rest of their lives while they struggle to pay back student loans or begin a family. Most want to have a rich vibrant urban environment but know they need a decent job {or any job for that matter} to enjoy it. That alone wipes out nearly all of Europe except Germany.

Paris, Rome, and Madrid are undeniably some of the world's most vibrant and fascinating cities but if you are young and facing unemployment rates of 30 or 40%, it doesn't look near as inviting. All the entertainment options in the world mean absolutely nothing if you can't even afford to go for out for a coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or