U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2015, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,279 posts, read 1,061,622 times
Reputation: 3980

Advertisements

*clicked thread, read OP*
*NYC still #1*
*leaves thread*

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2015, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,912,763 times
Reputation: 4778
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
*clicked thread, read OP*
*NYC still #1*
*leaves thread*

I was shocked Houston was not number one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2015, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Dallas
282 posts, read 275,015 times
Reputation: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
The participants must have smoked colossal amounts of marijuana before completing the survey. Detroit and Dallas made the top 25!!!!! However, Atlanta didn't make the list at all!!!! I call shenanigans! Atlanta is expected to receive 50 million visitors this year!

Thread title should be: The world's best cities according to stupid people who live in their mom's basement and smoke weed and play PlayStation all day. At least Rome, GA made the list. Perhaps the participants weren't that stupid, or high.

No one outside of the United States cares about Atlanta. Atlanta has a lot of hotel rooms because Atlanta is a big convention center. Other than that, not many people go to Atlanta just to go to Atlanta. Atlanta isn't New York or Los Angeles lol.

Most visited cities by overseas travelers:
New York City 9,500,000
Miami 4,000,000
Los Angeles 3,800,000
Orlando 3,700,000
San Francisco 3,005,000
Las Vegas 2,850,000
Honolulu 2,560,000
D.C. 1,700,000
Chicago 1,400,000
Boston 1,300,000
San Diego 883,000
Houston 801,000
Philadelphia 673,000
Atlanta 557,000

Atlanta was also one of the only two cities that posted decline in visitors. And it was a double-digit decrease.

Atlanta only has a 1.3% share of all leisure travelers to the U.S.A. last year:

Cities with highest % of total leisure travelers to the U.S.:
NYC: 35.9%.
Orlando 15.9%
Miami 15.7%
Honolulu: 13.1%
Las Vegas 12.9%
Los Angeles 11.8%
San Francisco 10.9%
Washington DC 5%
Boston - 3.6%
Chicago - 3%
San Diego 2.7%
Houston 1.5%
Atlanta 1.3%

http://travel.trade.gov/outreachpage...and_Cities.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2015, 11:56 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,244,373 times
Reputation: 9846
Anyone who thinks that Atlanta has more leisure visitors than a NYC, Miami or LA, or more hotel rooms than an NYC or LA, is taking some serious drugs. Coca Cola World isn't exactly going to draw the masses like the Eiffel Tower or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2015, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,279 posts, read 1,061,622 times
Reputation: 3980
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I was shocked Houston was not number one
I'm not

I think people are just cramming into this city like it's some kind of mecca is because there's a few jobs here, and u can get a McMansion for cheap (used to, not so much now)

It's hot, dirty and now overcrowded, what used to take 20 minutes now takes 50+

ah well such is life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2015, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,912,763 times
Reputation: 4778
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
I'm not

I think people are just cramming into this city like it's some kind of mecca is because there's a few jobs here, and u can get a McMansion for cheap (used to, not so much now)

It's hot, dirty and now overcrowded, what used to take 20 minutes now takes 50+

ah well such is life
I am sorry you didn't get my sarcasm thats my fault lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2015, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
1,397 posts, read 2,070,072 times
Reputation: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The NYC Convention and Visitors Bureau only measures hotel rooms for the address "New York". Manhattan is "New York" by address. Brooklyn, Queens, etc. are listed separately.
While this is true (Manhattan is "New York" for address purposes. Though all boroughs can use it - as long as the zip is correct, etc) the whole city is also referred to as "New York, New York" in some instances. Especially when statistics are being calculated. This instance is one of them. . . Take a look at this article below. Manhattan does indeed have the bulk of the hotel rooms but all of the boroughs are included in the total number which is on track to hitting an all time high next year to 110K.

NYC Hotel Industry | NYC Hotel Development

Quote:
Despite the cyclical nature of the hospitality business, and the fact that there are already an unprecedented number of places for tourists to lay their heads in the five boroughs, the hotel construction boom will deliver roughly 11,000 new rooms in the next three years, bringing the total to 110,000 by 2016, a number not seen in living memory.

Right now, hospitality sector analysts expect room rates to continue to rise albeit at a more modest pace than in recent years and for the city to continue outperforming the rest of the nation in terms of occupancy, even as more beds become available.
Lastly to the person who thought Atlanta had more rooms or it was fairly close to NYC in this regard. . . . LOL. Wake up. It's not 1996. The Olympics are over buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2015, 12:54 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
No one outside of the United States cares about Atlanta. Atlanta has a lot of hotel rooms because Atlanta is a big convention center. Other than that, not many people go to Atlanta just to go to Atlanta. Atlanta isn't New York or Los Angeles lol.

Most visited cities by overseas travelers:
New York City 9,500,000
Miami 4,000,000
Los Angeles 3,800,000
Orlando 3,700,000
San Francisco 3,005,000
Las Vegas 2,850,000
Honolulu 2,560,000
D.C. 1,700,000
Chicago 1,400,000
Boston 1,300,000
San Diego 883,000
Houston 801,000
Philadelphia 673,000
Atlanta 557,000

Atlanta was also one of the only two cities that posted decline in visitors. And it was a double-digit decrease.

Atlanta only has a 1.3% share of all leisure travelers to the U.S.A. last year:

Cities with highest % of total leisure travelers to the U.S.:
NYC: 35.9%.
Orlando 15.9%
Miami 15.7%
Honolulu: 13.1%
Las Vegas 12.9%
Los Angeles 11.8%
San Francisco 10.9%
Washington DC 5%
Boston - 3.6%
Chicago - 3%
San Diego 2.7%
Houston 1.5%
Atlanta 1.3%

http://travel.trade.gov/outreachpage...and_Cities.pdf
Someone cares about Atlanta: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...sitors-in.html

Nobody said anything about specific kinds of travelers...if you point to specifics you can get any kind of outcome that you want. And these 50 million visitors have nothing to do with airport connections...if that were the case it would be 100 million.

Someone brought up Atlanta who doesn't even live here. It doesn't need to spiral into a bash Atlanta thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2015, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,286 posts, read 3,503,555 times
Reputation: 4463
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
While this is true (Manhattan is "New York" for address purposes. Though all boroughs can use it - as long as the zip is correct, etc) the whole city is also referred to as "New York, New York" in some instances. Especially when statistics are being calculated. This instance is one of them. . . Take a look at this article below. Manhattan does indeed have the bulk of the hotel rooms but all of the boroughs are included in the total number which is on track to hitting an all time high next year to 110K.

NYC Hotel Industry | NYC Hotel Development



Lastly to the person who thought Atlanta had more rooms or it was fairly close to NYC in this regard. . . . LOL. Wake up. It's not 1996. The Olympics are over buddy.
Until the recent past it DID have more rooms, buddy. And it has been noted that New York is experiencing a hotel boom.

For a place of Atlanta's size to have over 90,000 rooms is impressive, no need to feel threatened by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2015, 01:02 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Until the recent past it DID have more rooms, buddy. And it has been noted that New York is experiencing a hotel boom.

For a place of Atlanta's size to have over 90,000 rooms is impressive, no need to feel threatened by it.
That's what I was thinking...if NYC has 110,000 rooms then Atlanta is definitely in the same league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top