U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 06:02 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,683,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Y
Here is a list ranking number of hotel rooms in U.S. cities...NYC is 5th, Atlanta is 7th. NYC has more.
You are totally missing the point. Obviously NYC and LA have the most hotel rooms in the U.S. They are both twice the size as any other metro. There is no possible way they don't have the most hotel rooms, since hotel rooms are occupied by people, and people's visits are generated by the presence of other people (so local population is the key). Your own list is just as bizarre as the Atlanta forumers list.

Could you explain a situation where a city 1/4 the size of another, with 1/10 the tourists, could somehow generate more demand for hotel rooms? If you can't, then you know the list is garbage.

The list of most hotel rooms is easy. Take the list of most populous metros in the U.S. Really only Vegas and Orlando and a few tourist towns will be outliers, but even those cities won't be close to #1.

In the real world, the list is probably as follows

NYC

LA

Chicago
SF
Miami
DC
Dallas
Houston

etc. etc.

Vegas and Orlando are probably somewhere in the top 10 too, but probably nowhere near the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 06:40 PM

2,398 posts, read 2,121,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You are totally missing the point. Obviously NYC and LA have the most hotel rooms in the U.S. They are both twice the size as any other metro. There is no possible way they don't have the most hotel rooms, since hotel rooms are occupied by people, and people's visits are generated by the presence of other people (so local population is the key). Your own list is just as bizarre as the Atlanta forumers list.

Could you explain a situation where a city 1/4 the size of another, with 1/10 the tourists, could somehow generate more demand for hotel rooms? If you can't, then you know the list is garbage.

The list of most hotel rooms is easy. Take the list of most populous metros in the U.S. Really only Vegas and Orlando and a few tourist towns will be outliers, but even those cities won't be close to #1.

NYC

LA

Chicago
SF
Miami
DC
Dallas
Houston

etc. etc.

Vegas and Orlando are probably somewhere in the top 10 too, but probably nowhere near the top.
In the "real world" Las Vegas and Orlando have more hotel rooms than Dallas, Houston, San Francisco, and maybe Los Angeles. Some lists have been posted. Why do you think those lists aren't "real world" lists.

What city are you referencing that is 1/4th the size of one with 1/10th of the tourists that has more hotel rooms than the other? Are you comparing Atlanta to New York? I think it has been established that Atlanta has a ton more hotel rooms than similar sized metro areas, but not quite as many as New York. However, the number of hotel rooms is closer than you think. Perhaps it has to do with the airport being the busiest in the world so when the airport has to close for 12+ hours due to an ice storm or something, there are places to put stranded people. Perhaps it has to do with the fact it hosted a Summer Olympics less than 20 years ago. Heck, maybe it has to do with being a natural point of evacuation when hurricanes threaten the north/northeastern gulf or the atlantic coast of Florida from Daytona Beach northward to the South Carolina coast. Moreso than any of this now, it probably has to do with being one of the biggest convention center destinations in the country (behind Orlando and Las Vegas which, surprise surprise, are up there near the very top with most hotel rooms).

Old 05-01-2015, 06:41 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,546,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

NYC

LA

Chicago
SF
Miami
DC
Dallas
Houston

etc. etc.

That wasn't my own list. It's an actual list of actual hotel rooms with an actual source. YOURS is a made up list of your opinion. Show me something that supports your made up list and we can talk about it.

It is a well known fact that Las Vegas and Orlando are one and two for travelers, and hotel rooms are where there are the most travelers. The list that I posted reflects that.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Before you chime into a discussion please have your facts checked first. . . . . Here you go:

Then another poster asked and made a very true statement. . . .

Then he replied, so confidently. . . .

So Joe, thank you for playing! Furthermore, "threatened" is the last word that comes to my mind when it comes to Atlanta and New York. The ONLY point it has over NYC is that it hosted the Olympics. Ironically, that's also probably the biggest thing that happened for Atlanta. Please, for your sake and city let's move on.
So you found it...congratulations. I looked through the thread and must have missed it, but I just skimmed. Thank you for taking the time to find it for me, but this site is all about chiming into discussions without reading through several pages of a long thread. Sorry if that offends you.

Threatened is exactly the word that comes to mind when I read all of the defensive comments in this thread. It's easy to see that people are threatened/offended/whatever by the thought that New York coul be mentioned in the same breath as Atlanta. Once again, I am SURE that I said that Atlanta doesn't have more of anything that NYC.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:13 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
No one outside of the United States cares about Atlanta. Atlanta has a lot of hotel rooms because Atlanta is a big convention center. Other than that, not many people go to Atlanta just to go to Atlanta. Atlanta isn't New York or Los Angeles lol.
Most visited cities by overseas travelers:
New York City 9,500,000
Miami 4,000,000
Los Angeles 3,800,000
Orlando 3,700,000
San Francisco 3,005,000
Las Vegas 2,850,000
Honolulu 2,560,000
D.C. 1,700,000
Chicago 1,400,000
Boston 1,300,000
San Diego 883,000
Houston 801,000
Philadelphia 673,000
Atlanta 557,000

Atlanta was also one of the only two cities that posted decline in visitors. And it was a double-digit decrease.

Atlanta only has a 1.3% share of all leisure travelers to the U.S.A. last year:

Cities with highest % of total leisure travelers to the U.S.:
NYC: 35.9%.
Orlando 15.9%
Miami 15.7%
Honolulu: 13.1%
Las Vegas 12.9%
Los Angeles 11.8%
San Francisco 10.9%
Washington DC 5%
Boston - 3.6%
Chicago - 3%
San Diego 2.7%
Houston 1.5%
Atlanta 1.3%

http://travel.trade.gov/outreachpage...and_Cities.pdf
  1. New York City NC
  2. Chicago IL
  3. San Francisco CA
  4. Las Vegas NV
  5. New Orleans LA
  6. Las Angeles CA
  7. San Diego CA
  8. Seattle SA
  9. Washington DC
  10. Orlando FL
  11. Honolulu HI
  12. Houston TX
  13. Charleston SC
  14. Boston.MA
  15. Portland WA
�� http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...eply&t=2358734
  1. Orlando, Florida
  2. New York City, New York
  3. Chicago, Illinois
  4. Anaheim/Orange County, Calif
  5. Miami, Florida
  6. Las Vegas, Nevada
  7. Atlanta, Ga
  8. Houston, Texas
  9. Philadelphia, Pa
  10. San Diego, California
�� Top 10 Most Visited US Cities
  1. Las Vegas
  2. New York City
  3. Orlando
  4. San Diego
  5. Los Angeles
  6. Chicago
  7. San Francisco
  8. Washington DC
  9. Houston
  10. San Antonio
  11. Atlanta
  12. Boston
  13. Miami
  14. New Orleans
  15. Dallas
�� Most Popular U.S. Travel Destinations - Business Insider

Old 05-01-2015, 09:06 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,996,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
So you found it...congratulations. I looked through the thread and must have missed it, but I just skimmed. Thank you for taking the time to find it for me, but this site is all about chiming into discussions without reading through several pages of a long thread. Sorry if that offends you.

Threatened is exactly the word that comes to mind when I read all of the defensive comments in this thread. It's easy to see that people are threatened/offended/whatever by the thought that New York coul be mentioned in the same breath as Atlanta. Once again, I am SURE that I said that Atlanta doesn't have more of anything that NYC.
It doesn't offend me at all. Just makes you look silly for attempting to know info that you don't. Once again you should be certain before you post.

lol at threatened. Whatever helps you sleep tonight buddy.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:19 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,996,098 times
Getting back on topic . . .

One of the things that surprised me is Chicago ranking higher than L.A.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:22 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,593,815 times
Bangkok will always be my number one. The rest are just pretenders

Old 05-01-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
It doesn't offend me at all. Just makes you look silly for attempting to know info that you don't. Once again you should be certain before you post.

lol at threatened. Whatever helps you sleep tonight buddy.
I'm glad it doesn't offend you. It shouldn't. But it seemingly has offended others. THAT'S what I call silly, not the fact that I didn't know this thread by heart. You still seem a little aggressive and angry about being compared to Atlanta - and it isn't that serious. It's just a city-data discussion and we are adults as far as I know.

You can say all day that you aren't this and you aren't that, but we only have your comments to go by.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:59 PM

3,626 posts, read 4,352,741 times
Lol @ some of the people butthurt because some cities were ranked higher than their's in an OPINION based list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or