Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 06:18 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It's a Canadian survey, so obviously biased. No way Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are in the top 20 globally.

And what young person wants to live in Mexico City? You want to take an 80% pay cut and live in a city with insane traffic, routine kidnappings, and poisonous air? I actually enjoy visiting DF, but to live??
Good god, you are so jealous of Canadian cities, lol. You are such a troll! And so boring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 07:24 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
I'll take Miami and Vegas over : Paris , London, Berlin and San Francisco any day of the week.

Great places to visit I am sure, but not my cup of tea at all. Not enough excitement or thrill for me.

Also I could care less what cities are brought up by Europeans, so what ? Your point?
Gross, Vegas is repulsive. I can't think of a single young person that would choose Vegas over Paris, London, Berlin or SF. Miami too.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:35 AM

74 posts, read 94,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
1. New York City
2. London
3. Berlin
4. San Francisco
5. Paris
6. Toronto
7. Chicago
8. Los Angeles
9. Mexico City
10. Amsterdam

New York City Most Popular City for Ages 15 to 29, Says YouthfulCities
Wow Boston is not even on the list. You rarely find anyone over the age of 25 there. There are some bars that are 25+ but it is very rare, and usually even younger people go to them as well.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:10 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes, and has for years. Look it up.
No, it doesn't. Look what up? Where??

When they measure "rooms for NYC" they are measuring Manhattan only. They aren't measuring even the city proper. And there is no source for rooms in the metro area.

Metro Atlanta, with 7 million people, has around the same number of rooms as Manhattan, with 1.7 million people. They both have slightly over 100,000 rooms. But obviously the NYC area, which is more than three times the size, and a vastly larger business and leisure destination, will have many times more rooms than Atlanta of all places.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Good god, you are so jealous of Canadian cities, lol. You are such a troll! And so boring!
First thing, a Canadian person calling another person boring is like a German criticizing another for being serious or an Italian criticizing another for being disorganized or a Japanese criticizing another for being conformist. That is a definite LOL.

And no, I'm no troll, but you are an insane homer if you think that Toronto and Vancouver and the like are among the most desirable cities on earth. You seriously think someone would rather live in some random Canadian city over Paris, Rome and the like?

Detroit over Boston for young professionals! Who knew?

Old 05-01-2015, 09:16 AM

451 posts, read 465,270 times
Quote:
It's a Canadian survey, so obviously biased. No way Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are in the top 20 globally.

And what young person wants to live in Mexico City? You want to take an 80% pay cut and live in a city with insane traffic, routine kidnappings, and poisonous air? I actually enjoy visiting DF, but to live??
I'd love to live in Ciudad Mexico. Great music, dancing, architecture, food, and some really hot, fashionable Mexican women; I'm communicating with a few of them online now.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:20 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,243 times
San Francisco city limits itself has about 35,000 rooms in its 46 sq mi, so it's not *that* impressive. Atlanta is definitely one of the largest convention cities and its downtown hotels reflect that, but the vast bulk of its hotel pool consists of random hotels throughout the metro area. Atlanta is sorely lacking in funky independent hotels and is almost entirely flagged. Downtown hotels are mostly Portman-designed 1,000+ room flagged Marriotts/Westins/Hyatts etc (and they are cool - I recognized the Marriott Marquis in the last Hunger Games movie).

Old 05-01-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhiterose View Post
I'd love to live in Ciudad Mexico. Great music, dancing, architecture, food, and some really hot, fashionable Mexican women; I'm communicating with a few of them online now.
And if those "hot, fashionable Mexican women" enter a relationship with you, I 100% guarantee they will want to leave DF for the U.S., even if you live in Bumblefunk, North Dakota.

Mexico City, BTW is not known for its women. Guadalajara and Jalisco and Sinaloa are famous for beautiful women. The women in DF tend to be from the South, and are not known for their beauty. Only the rich parts have lots of hot women.

I don't know what "music and dancing" you're referring to. The traditional forms of dancing and music associated with Mexico (mariachi and the like) have nothing to do with DF.

Chilangos do have good food; I'll give you that. But I still don't think too many people would move to DF just becuase there are a billion street food vendors, many of them delicious. It's a VERY difficult city to deal with (and I'm there for business on-and-off; even as a spoiled business traveler with a generous expensive account the town is a massive pain).

Old 05-01-2015, 09:49 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't. Look what up? Where??

When they measure "rooms for NYC" they are measuring Manhattan only. They aren't measuring even the city proper. And there is no source for rooms in the metro area.

Metro Atlanta, with 7 million people, has around the same number of rooms as Manhattan, with 1.7 million people. They both have slightly over 100,000 rooms. But obviously the NYC area, which is more than three times the size, and a vastly larger business and leisure destination, will have many times more rooms than Atlanta of all places.
Yes, there is a source if you know where to go, oh smart one. And Metro Atlanta is not at 7 million, it's approaching 6 million. Get your facts straight before you spout off.

Until very recently, Atlanta was ranked 3rd. New York has obviously experienced quite a hotel boom in the last several years, causing in to pass several cities in the ranking. And Atlanta 'of all places' has a larger convention industry than your precious New York. There's a source for that too, if you know where to look.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:51 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello071 View Post
Wow Boston is not even on the list. You rarely find anyone over the age of 25 there. There are some bars that are 25+ but it is very rare, and usually even younger people go to them as well.
Read the actual survey. Boston is on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City