U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee vs Sacramento
Milwaukee 42 58.33%
Sacramento 30 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2015, 07:55 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,116,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJdekc View Post
What other big cities would Sacramento be similar to ? I always thought it may be similar to Denver or Portland. I never been there, but its just one of those big cities you don't really hear about.
Can't speak for Denver because I haven't been, but it is more populated than either Sacramento or Portland.

Portland has a bit more going on because it's the largest city of Oregon, and is relatively distant from the next largest city (Seattle is 180 miles away) while Sacramento is only 80 miles from San Francisco. Sacramento is getting there, but it isn't as active as Downtown Portland.

Sacramento has the benefit and drawback of being literally next to the San Francisco Bay Area. It means that up until recently, a lot of the big city amenities used to be found there as opposed to developing it itself. However, it's changing a lot now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 08:59 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,898,303 times
New vroom in Milwaukee - latimes

This might help explain Milwaukee a little. I don't live in Milwaukee, so someone else could champion it better, but this article is interesting...a few years old, but it still holds true.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:33 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,153,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Sacramento is only 80 miles from San Francisco.
Milwaukee is 90 miles from Chicago.

I think this may have something to do with the lack of Milwaukee posters:

"72% of people who live in Wisconsin were born in Wisconsin."

Compare this to 55% for people in Cali.

Milwaukee people seem to stick closer to home.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/16/up...abt=0002&abg=1

Old 05-04-2015, 09:46 PM

4,431 posts, read 4,444,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Which is a shame because I've spend some time looking into what Sacramento offers, but not as much looking into Milwaukee.

Milwaukee seems to have more stuff packed into it than Sacramento even though the metro is a good deal less populated.
What more stuff does Milwaukee have that Sacramento doesn't? Sacramento is pretty unknown, you might be surprised. Does Milwaukee have blocks and blocks of outdoor sidewalk cafes and eating establishments. What's so special about the food in Milwaukee. Sacramento is the farm to fork capitol of the USA, we have the most small local organic farmers within a short distant of our city center.

Sacramento weather is so fabulous, most of its restaurants have outdoor patios either in a back garden setting or out front on the sidewalk where people watching is a big deal.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJdekc View Post
What other big cities would Sacramento be similar to ? I always thought it may be similar to Denver or Portland. I never been there, but its just one of those big cities you don't really hear about.
Yes, I often hear people say Sacramento is California's Portland. Sacramento has two rivers like Portland, they are smaller but one of them, the American is a a better recreational river than Portland's Willamette; The American is big on paddle craft, canoe, raft, kayak river, few motorized craft. The American is mountain-fed snow-melt river; its source is the Sierra Nevada Mtns.

The Sacramento River attracts motorcraft, cruisers, speed boats, jet skiing, water skiing, some large ships/boats, but nothing as big as giant tankers like Portland's Columbia. The Sacramento is also a mountain fed snow melt river. It's source is Mt. Shasta(same Cascade chain as Mt. Rainer and Mt. Hood), other sources are the Sierra Mtns other rivers which fed into the Sacramento.

Sacramento has a classic Mediterranean climate with a ton of sun so in that regard not like Portland at all. Sacramento has more sun than San Diego and Denver.

Sacramentans have always been big on the outdoors.

Last edited by Chimérique; 05-04-2015 at 11:01 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
What more stuff does Milwaukee have that Sacramento doesn't? Sacramento is pretty unknown, you might be surprised. Does Milwaukee have blocks and blocks of outdoor sidewalk cafes and eating establishments. What's so special about the food in Milwaukee. Sacramento is the farm to fork capitol of the USA, we have the most small local organic farmers within a short distant of our city center.
Well that's the trouble we need some Milwaukee people to weigh in.

When I looked at Sacramento it seemed the Grid is where a lot of the stuff is located (plus downtown and old Sacramento).

My hunch is Sacramento takes it in fitness, weather, food, and possibly transportation. Beyond that I'm not sure.

The cafes, restaurants, and bars seems to be one area Milwaukee excels in. From what little I've looked at it seems the city has four or five nightlife/people watching areas, which each having blocks and blocks.

Food? I don't know? It's known for cheese, beer, and German food, but I'm sure there's more to it. Again I Milwaukee person could help on this.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Well that's the trouble we need some Milwaukee people to weigh in.

When I looked at Sacramento it seemed the Grid is where a lot of the stuff is located (plus downtown and old Sacramento).

My hunch is Sacramento takes it in fitness, weather, food, and possibly transportation. Beyond that I'm not sure.

The cafes, restaurants, and bars seems to be one area Milwaukee excels in. From what little I've looked at it seems the city has four or five nightlife/people watching areas, which each having blocks and blocks.

Food? I don't know? It's known for cheese, beer, and German food, but I'm sure there's more to it. Again I Milwaukee person could help on this.

Sacramento has a big gay community as well with an established Gay district.

Sacramento fine cuisine excels in the Mediterranean category. (French/Italian/Spanish). Mexican and plenty of Asian(Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Indian).

Sacramento has breweries, AND WINERIES.

Last edited by Chimérique; 05-04-2015 at 11:05 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 10:59 PM

Sacramento 2nd HAPPIEST place to work, see list:

No. 2 Happiest Place To Work: Sacramento, California - In Photos: The 10 Happiest And Unhappiest Cities To Work In Right Now - Forbes

Milwaukee was 22nd, or one of the Unhappiest cities to work.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:29 AM

Chimerique, great posts. Very informative. Sacramento seems very underrated.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:27 AM

89 posts, read 93,392 times
In terms of weather and outdoor activities Sac obviously wins. However the problem with Sac and the reason it is "underrated" is because the city really has no downtown. When you think of a city you think of a developed urban core which is the focal point of the city. Sac's downtown and urban core is probably the worst for a city of its size... Downtown is filled with abandoned buildings and absolutely nothing to do or see.

People in Sac all live in the suburbs. This creates for a "city" of complete sprawl filled with shopping centers and parking lots. As a Sac native I think it's best for outsiders to avoid this place until it dramatically improves. There's a reason that tourists don't visit and conventions don't come here and it's not because Sac is "underrated."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or