U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What is the Midwest's second city/metropolis?
Greater Detroit 65 41.67%
Greater Minneapolis/Saint Paul 91 58.33%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 05-19-2015, 05:58 AM
 
8,662 posts, read 6,336,743 times
Reputation: 3761

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Ohhhh man. Pretty nice comparison to Mayweather. If there are 2 things people hate, it's Floyd Mayweather and Detroit, Michigan. There were quite a few excuses being used in the boxing forum lol. The most popular boxing noob excuse right now is "he ran" despite the fact he threw and landed more punches lol.
Yep...and the disfavor these people have will make them do anything to DIMINISH their standing and accomplishments. Like I noted, 67% people polled picked Manny to win. Basically, I would say that 67% of the people WANTED Manny to win because they do not like Floyd. Similarly, people in this poll picked Minneapolis because they do not like Detroit and they WANT Minneapolis to be the second "city" of the Midwest.

When I was in Minneapolis, one of my friends at 3M took a position at GM as an engineer and moved to Southfield. One of the first things he told me was that he did not realize that the Detroit area was so much bigger than the Twin Cities. I told him that when I moved to Minneapolis, from Detroit, it felt like I was moving to a smaller slower paced city. He loved Detroit (he was originally from Alabama). I have not talked with him in a while though....as that was over 10 years ago.

 
Old 05-19-2015, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 7,914,878 times
Reputation: 4208
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
This is just me postulating - Minneapolis/St. Paul didn't have the large influx of black folk from the south, so the white flight, considerable increase in violent crime, and the problems that come with having a large black underclass that overwhelmed cities like Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, Cincinnati, and to lesser extent, Chicago, didn't take hold in the Twin Cities to a large extent. That might be a MAJOR reason why the Twin Cities never declined as much as the other Rustbelt cities and why it was able to turnaround much quicker than those other midwest cities.
There's certainly some truth to that, which explains why the core cities also dealt with white flight and post-WWII fallout, but not to the extent of most Midwestern cities.
 
Old 05-19-2015, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 7,914,878 times
Reputation: 4208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yep...and the disfavor these people have will make them do anything to DIMINISH their standing and accomplishments. Like I noted, 67% people polled picked Manny to win. Basically, I would say that 67% of the people WANTED Manny to win because they do not like Floyd. Similarly, people in this poll picked Minneapolis because they do not like Detroit and they WANT Minneapolis to be the second "city" of the Midwest.

When I was in Minneapolis, one of my friends at 3M took a position at GM as an engineer and moved to Southfield. One of the first things he told me was that he did not realize that the Detroit area was so much bigger than the Twin Cities. I told him that when I moved to Minneapolis, from Detroit, it felt like I was moving to a smaller slower paced city. He loved Detroit (he was originally from Alabama). I have not talked with him in a while though....as that was over 10 years ago.
Great, I think that speaks for all people then (or all middle-class black people).

Truth be told I have no idea which city middle-class black people prefer. Here in Cleveland where I am now it seems the black middle class prefers being around eachother -- wherever that may be -- though I do see a few MN license plates strolling around our neighborhood (which is 75% black, and solidly middle class). The black AND African black populations of the Twin Cities are growing, and growing at a healthy clip. Perhaps it's just poor African Americans from Midwest cities who are leaving their cities for MSP -- I couldn't tell you for certain, but that's the gist I got as well. However, if the TC's absolutely sucked, they wouldn't stay, and the population certainly wouldn't continue to grow.

So, on the one hand, MSP is probably not high up on the list for black middle-class folks from the Midwest, but for many/most other groups it's the preferred city (at least for now). And there's no doubt in at least my mind that Detroit is the bigger city and deserves its #2 rank in the Midwest for at least the time being (I have stated it should be #2, but have not voted yet either), but I don't understand bashing MSP just to prove your point that DET isn't inferior.

P.S. touche on your "woe is me" and "get over yourself" point.
 
Old 05-19-2015, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Detroit
3,626 posts, read 4,346,455 times
Reputation: 2513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yep...and the disfavor these people have will make them do anything to DIMINISH their standing and accomplishments. Like I noted, 67% people polled picked Manny to win. Basically, I would say that 67% of the people WANTED Manny to win because they do not like Floyd. Similarly, people in this poll picked Minneapolis because they do not like Detroit and they WANT Minneapolis to be the second "city" of the Midwest.

When I was in Minneapolis, one of my friends at 3M took a position at GM as an engineer and moved to Southfield. One of the first things he told me was that he did not realize that the Detroit area was so much bigger than the Twin Cities. I told him that when I moved to Minneapolis, from Detroit, it felt like I was moving to a smaller slower paced city. He loved Detroit (he was originally from Alabama). I have not talked with him in a while though....as that was over 10 years ago.
Damn I hope he survived the great recession in that 10 years. But yea, different strokes different folks ig. I do think Minny is an impressive city. Don't know much about it but learning about it on this thread I'm pretty impressed. On the other hand I do notice not just with Detroit but many decent black areas in most cities are overlooked here on CD.
 
Old 05-19-2015, 01:46 PM
 
8,662 posts, read 6,336,743 times
Reputation: 3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Great, I think that speaks for all people then (or all middle-class black people).

Truth be told I have no idea which city middle-class black people prefer. Here in Cleveland where I am now it seems the black middle class prefers being around eachother -- wherever that may be -- though I do see a few MN license plates strolling around our neighborhood (which is 75% black, and solidly middle class). The black AND African black populations of the Twin Cities are growing, and growing at a healthy clip. Perhaps it's just poor African Americans from Midwest cities who are leaving their cities for MSP -- I couldn't tell you for certain, but that's the gist I got as well. However, if the TC's absolutely sucked, they wouldn't stay, and the population certainly wouldn't continue to grow.

So, on the one hand, MSP is probably not high up on the list for black middle-class folks from the Midwest, but for many/most other groups it's the preferred city (at least for now). And there's no doubt in at least my mind that Detroit is the bigger city and deserves its #2 rank in the Midwest for at least the time being (I have stated it should be #2, but have not voted yet either), but I don't understand bashing MSP just to prove your point that DET isn't inferior.

P.S. touche on your "woe is me" and "get over yourself" point.
I said that Minneapolis is a "neat" city. I have never bashed it, unless arguing that it is not the second city of the Midwest is tantamount to bashing. It has an outstanding park system, it's super clean, it's relatively safe, there is a good economic base....but all that does not make it the Midwest number 2 city.

There is probably 1.2 million black folks in the Greater Detroit area. That population probably declined from 2000 - 2010....as that states black population declined for the first time on record.....I believe. On the other hand, the twin cities has enjoyed (for some) one of the fastest growth rates for black population....but they were starting from an extremely small base. In terms of black population, the twin cities is in the Midwest league of Indianapolis, Columbus, Milwaukee.
 
Old 05-19-2015, 01:50 PM
 
8,662 posts, read 6,336,743 times
Reputation: 3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Damn I hope he survived the great recession in that 10 years. But yea, different strokes different folks ig. I do think Minny is an impressive city. Don't know much about it but learning about it on this thread I'm pretty impressed. On the other hand I do notice not just with Detroit but many decent black areas in most cities are overlooked here on CD.
No doubt....not very many negatives about the Twin Cities.....but those winters are brutal and long. If you want to get your career on....and get some experience....I would recommend the Twin Cities over places like Atlanta and such....and of course Detroit. However, Detroit with a good economy....I would pick Detroit hands down....and one of the reason is because I like weekend travel to different cities. I used to love driving to Toronto or Chi on the weekends.
 
Old 05-19-2015, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times
Reputation: 7295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The Bay Areas purchasing power is not as great as it seems because the COST OF LIVING is extremely high. If you simply compared fast food workers in the bay area to fast food workers in Detroit or Mississippi, they make a lot more money but their purchasing power is not really greater because the cost to live in SF area is extremely high. Hence, the GDP of fast food workers in San Francisco would surpass that of similar sector workers in Detroit and Mississippi. Then you would herald the productivity of SF fast food workers relative to Detroit and Mississippi and put then ahead

GDP is a deceptive figure when you are comparing metro area to metro area because cost of living is not part of the calculation. In places with higher cost of living, pay is usually higher across the board, and these higher cost make the dollar value of economic transactions higher. The cost of living in the Minneapolis area is higher than it is in the Detroit area. Housing is more and wages are more and hence.....yes...those transactions will generate higher GDP than Detroit simply from the higher cost of living. Why you all cannot see this economics 101 fact is lost upon me. Aside from that, the GREATER Detroit area's GDP or IS HIGHER THAN THAT OF the greater TWIN CITIES!!!! That is because the Greater Detroit Area has like 2 million more people and thus despite a greater GDP per capita, the Detroit area being more populated creates a higher GDP.

Its kind of like comparing China to Japan. China's GDP has surpassed that of Japan, which used to be the second largest economy of the world. China is now the second largest economy in the world, but you all would argue that Japan is still the second largest economy in the world simply because it has a greater per capita GDP than does China. China gets its ranking from the economic activity of a larger population.....just as does Detroit.
Actually China enjoys far greater purchasing power than does Japan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...es_by_GDP_(PPP)

Japan is consumed in debt, the United States is too but individual American cities are not responsible for any portion of that debt, which belongs solely to the federal government. Japan actually just took over the American debt from China very recently, so at least we don't owe anything to China anymore.

Anyhow, my main point is this: both Greater Detroit and the Twin Cities Area are very wealthy, prosperous, lucrative, and innovative economies in the advanced first world. When you see someone from undeveloped third world like Pakistan or Ethiopia or whatever knock these places (or even someone from a place with an inferior sized economy), be sure to put them in their place. It takes Detroit and Minneapolis-Saint Paul like 3-5 million people to get the size of economy that it takes entire countries of nearly 200 million people to get. That is a sad, disgusting, and pathetic display of human production levels honestly. That basically means you have millions of people sitting around doing nothing more than sucking their thumbs in a sea of hopelessness.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 05-19-2015 at 02:05 PM..
 
Old 05-19-2015, 02:03 PM
 
52,619 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Reputation: 11627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I said that Minneapolis is a "neat" city. I have never bashed it, unless arguing that it is not the second city of the Midwest is tantamount to bashing. It has an outstanding park system, it's super clean, it's relatively safe, there is a good economic base....but all that does not make it the Midwest number 2 city.

There is probably 1.2 million black folks in the Greater Detroit area. That population probably declined from 2000 - 2010....as that states black population declined for the first time on record.....I believe. On the other hand, the twin cities has enjoyed (for some) one of the fastest growth rates for black population....but they were starting from an extremely small base. In terms of black population, the twin cities is in the Midwest league of Indianapolis, Columbus, Milwaukee.
To put that into perspective, Minneapolis was around 8% Black and St. Paul was around 5% Black in 1980 or in another way to put this, there were roughly 41,000 Black people out of 640,000 people between the 2 cities. There were roughly 50,000 Black people in the metro out of about 2.2 million people.

There were about 755,000 Black people in the city of Detroit in 1980(63%).
 
Old 05-19-2015, 02:38 PM
 
1,167 posts, read 1,178,088 times
Reputation: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To put that into perspective, Minneapolis was around 8% Black and St. Paul was around 5% Black in 1980 or in another way to put this, there were roughly 41,000 Black people out of 640,000 people between the 2 cities. There were roughly 50,000 Black people in the metro out of about 2.2 million people.

There were about 755,000 Black people in the city of Detroit in 1980(63%).
According to the latest Census estimates (2013), the core cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul (694,952) have a black population of 119,979 (17.3%). Detroit (688,740) has a black population of 553,258 (80.3%). Keep in mind that the makeup of these populations are VERY different.
 
Old 05-19-2015, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,159,493 times
Reputation: 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
In terms of black population, the twin cities is in the Midwest league of Indianapolis, Columbus, Milwaukee.
Not really! There are about a quarter million blacks in Milwaukee county alone and less than 120,000 in the Twin Cities - over double the amount in Milwaukee, in a metro well under half the TC's size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top