Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 03:38 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,109 times

Advertisements

It seems like adjusted for cost of living the poorest parts of the country are the West Coast and New York State. Are wages a bit better relative to the COL in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New England compared to New York, Oregon, Washington, and California? It's pretty much impossible to rise from lower to middle class on the West Coast without a college education and working lowly/un-paid internships for years - is it any easier in the Northeast or even worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 03:50 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,641,878 times
Easier for rags to riches on W Coast in my opinion. People are less rooted, less rigid social structure, more about what you can produce and how you can differentiate yourself. In my opinion.

I'd argue that that being said, the Middle Class is probably more squeezed on the W Coast, where housing is significantly more expensive than in the NE on average. If you want a house to raise a family in, harder on the W Coast.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:03 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Easier for rags to riches on W Coast in my opinion. People are less rooted, less rigid social structure, more about what you can produce and how you can differentiate yourself. In my opinion.

I'd argue that that being said, the Middle Class is probably more squeezed on the W Coast, where housing is significantly more expensive than in the NE on average. If you want a house to raise a family in, harder on the W Coast.
So basically it's easier to become comfortable in the North East, but easier to become rich on the West Coast?

Old 04-30-2015, 06:47 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
It depends on the area within those regions. Essentially, the further inland, the more affordable. So, I'd look into the areas within those regions that fit what you are looking for.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:15 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,408,064 times
Northeast.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:20 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,511,670 times
West coast wins this.

The East coast is a place you live at once you've already made your fortune. No place for less fortunate people.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:35 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,286 times
Here are a some links that rank cities factoring both wages and cost of living. They have different methodologies, so the results vary slightly. Generally speaking, it seems like Des Moines, Chapel Hill, Salt Lake City, Houston, DC, Madison, and Denver seem to be the best values. NYC and the agricultural cities in the Southwest seem to be the worst.

Cost-of-Living Adjusted Wage Data for U.S. Metro Areas

10 Cities With the Highest and Lowest Real Incomes - US News

Methodology - In Photos: The Cities With The Highest Income When Adjusted For Cost Of Living - Forbes

Old 04-30-2015, 09:06 PM

275 posts, read 415,813 times
This thread is ridiculous. I thought this was a "City vs. City" forum, not a "Region vs. Region" one. It really depends on the city/metropolitan area in the Northeast or the West.

Second of all, social mobility is difficult without a college degree anywhere. If you don't have a college degree, you better at least have some trade skills or some programming ability. This goes for every city or region in the U.S.

New York and San Francisco are expensive places to live. And for good reason. You are statistically more likely to make more money in these locales over the long run, whether you are a lowly barista or a CEO of a Fortune 500 company. If you want to launch a career or even just find a job, a large and prosperous city is always ideal, regardless of the region.

Lastly, cost of living is highly variable on the individual. The only thing that is expensive in New York is rent. If you are willing to live simply (i.e. not going out every night), you can enjoy a fairly comfortable lifestyle in New York.

I'm tired of people making stereotypes about entire regions with millions of people. The person is much more important than the place.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:27 PM

696 posts, read 1,169,296 times
West coast is the homeless mecca go to Los Angeles, and Santa Monica, every other corner is homeless.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:43 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,107,865 times
Must not have anything to do with the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City