U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 01:13 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,429,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Every black person I know from Austin (and this isnt an exaggeration), is trying to get to DFW or Houston ASAP.
Yep. It's already well established that when black people move to Texas, Houston and DFW are pretty much the only viable options to consider.

Probably the only exception is if you are military and get sent to one of the bases in San Antonio, Killen, or El Paso, and even then you will be a black spec in a sea of brown and white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 01:17 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,902,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Yep. It's already well established that when black people move to Texas, Houston and DFW are pretty much the only viable options to consider.

Probably the only exception is if you are military and get sent to one of the bases in San Antonio, Killen, or El Paso, and even then you will be a black spec in a sea of brown and white.
Yeah except Killeen. Killeen's largest demographic is actually Black. One of the very few cities in Texas that has that status. But nobody would move to Killeen if not for the military.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
That DFW has the 2nd/3rd fastest growing black population in the U.S. And Austins black population is shrinking.
Right. Especially since Austin's black population wasn't even large to begin with. I have run into several black former residents of Austin over the years and they all complained about how Austin pushed them out years ago when it decided to market itself to alternative white people, like a Portland or a Seattle.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah except Killeen. Killeen's largest demographic is actually Black. One of the very few cities in Texas that has that status. But nobody would move to Killeen if not for the military.
True. That's what I was trying to say about Killeen (it's kinda like an East Texas in that regard)...lol. I just didn't separate it from San Antonio and El Paso because I was trying to make a similar point about all three. Thanks for catching that.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:09 AM

88 posts, read 70,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33 View Post
Blackest Cities in America:
1. Detroit
2. Baltimore
3. Memphis
4. New Orleans
5. Newark
6. Atlanta
7. Cleveland
8. DC
9. St Louis
10. Cincinnati

Least Black Cities in America:
1. Santa Ana
2. Anaheim
3. El Paso
4. Honolulu
5. San Jose
6. Albuquerque
7. Tucson
8. San Francisco
9. San Antonio
10. Portland
Phoenix was left off at 5-6% AA

Old 10-24-2015, 12:40 PM

5,222 posts, read 5,575,414 times
I know Charlotte didnt make the list but there seemed to be a lot of racial harmony that i haven't seen in other places.

The HBCU's seem to be the only thing Blacks have going for them in Nashville. It isn't a huge magnet for Black professionals like Atlanta, Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham. I don't see them loosing Black people like Austin or rust belt cities like Chicago.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:26 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,336,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I know Charlotte didnt make the list but there seemed to be a lot of racial harmony that i haven't seen in other places.

The HBCU's seem to be the only thing Blacks have going for them in Nashville. It isn't a huge magnet for Black professionals like Atlanta, Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham. I don't see them loosing Black people like Austin or rust belt cities like Chicago.
Black Professionals Meetups in Nashville - Meetup

Love Noise

The Tennessee Tribune | Tennessee's Leading Black Newspaper

Welcome to Nashville Minority Business Center

International Organizations

https://www.facebook.com/nashvilleblackpride

Forbes Welcome

Urban Outlook - NewsChannel 5+ - Nashville, TN - NewsChannel5.com

Nashville Black Chamber of Commerce | Nashville, TN

Nashville > Finance > Procurement > Business Assistance Office

Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship Fund Awards Banquet 2012 - May 7th, 2012

MTSU African American History Month | Middle Tennessee State University

The 2014 NAACP Murfreesboro Branch Freedom Fund Banquet honorees - Murfreesboro News and Radio

Old 10-24-2015, 08:53 PM

199 posts, read 192,744 times
Wow my city is on there am shock but overall other black cities will take over Cincinnati, like Philadelphia why da is not on the list Cincinnati Black Population under 200,000 and Philadelphia is over Cincinnati, so overall you should move Cincinnati away and add Philadelphia, of da makes sense, mostly some cities is in the West Coast, and lots of Hispanic Population LOL

Old 10-24-2015, 10:16 PM

52,622 posts, read 75,451,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNGAnderson View Post
Wow my city is on there am shock but overall other black cities will take over Cincinnati, like Philadelphia why da is not on the list Cincinnati Black Population under 200,000 and Philadelphia is over Cincinnati, so overall you should move Cincinnati away and add Philadelphia, of da makes sense, mostly some cities is in the West Coast, and lots of Hispanic Population LOL
What did you just say? I think that was just some random list.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:30 AM

24 posts, read 19,240 times
Hi. I am most interested in this list. Can you give me the source, and/or some numbers to back up the standings? I have been making my own similar list, but culling the info from difference sources, so it's not 100% apples to apples. So yes, I would appreciate further info.

I am posting in the city vs. city area a question called Baltimore vs. Wilmington (DE) vs. Harrisburg vs. York (PA). (Realizing that some of these places are completely different from one another.) While I do need informed opinions based on personal experience, even better, I would appreciate in terms of the experience of being black in those cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or