Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 04:32 PM

91,996 posts, read 122,107,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgem View Post
I thought maybe the military was the reason it was left off the top ten but, at the same time how can that really hold true when they are stationed only for a small amount of time. Airforce enlisted are the main ones up there.
Actually, there are 2 big Army bases up there as well(Ft Richardson outside of Anchorage and Ft Wainwright outside of Fairbanks). So, that is part of it and some people actually stay or move there directly/outside of the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgem View Post
I met to ask my Grandma why we had some many relatives in Rochester and Syracuse. It always seemed so random to me. Old industrial jobs is what I chalked it up to.
Yes and some came to work as migrant farm workers initially as well. There are some small towns between the cities that have long time Black residents/communities too. Some by way of the military too.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:56 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,064,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
There are a lot of blacks in NY; especially downstate. I find that they aren't as wide spread statewide as in the south however. I wonder why that is.
That's because slaves were spread out across the deep south to work the fields, and despite the Great Migration, many stayed nearby.

Interesting enough, when many people think of the backwoods of the deep south, the first thing that would come to mind is probably the klan, but actually it seems the most rural, least populated area of states like Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi tend to have the highest % of blacks.

I have a good friend from college that's from Greene County, Alabama. It's the least populated county in the state but has the highest % of blacks. One of the highest in the nation actually. You can say the same for places like Hancock County here in Georgia.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:15 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,579,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
That's because slaves were spread out across the deep south to work the fields, and despite the Great Migration, many stayed nearby.

Interesting enough, when many people think of the backwoods of the deep south, the first thing that would come to mind is probably the klan, but actually it seems the most rural, least populated area of states like Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi tend to have the highest % of blacks.

I have a good friend from college that's from Greene County, Alabama. It's the least populated county in the state but has the highest % of blacks. One of the highest in the nation actually. You can say the same for places like Hancock County here in Georgia.
The two least populous counties in the United States east of the Mississippi River are Issaquena County, MS and Taliaferro County, GA. They both have black majority populations at 64.4% and 59.6%, respectively. If people want to find future SEC and NFL football talent, they can take a drive through the "Black Belt" and attend some high-school football games.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
The two least populous counties in the United States east of the Mississippi River are Issaquena County, MS and Taliaferro County, GA. They both have black majority populations at 64.4% and 59.6%, respectively. If people want to find future SEC and NFL football talent, they can take a drive through the "Black Belt" and attend some high-school football games.
Ironically, the high schools in the predominately Black towns in MS and SC my parents come from are actually Basketball schools. The MS school, which just consolidated into a county HS, was a state finalist or champ in recent years. The SC school has one of the top players in the country for his class and he is headed to play at UNC after HS. He is the nephew of a current NBA player from that general area. So, you may find some good Basketball talent too.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:53 PM

9,601 posts, read 9,201,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well Blacks are spread throughout most Southern states as a legacy of slavery. During the Great Migration, Blacks moved from the South to the urban North in search of work and there wasn't as much work to be found outside of the major urban areas of New York and other Northern and Western states.
That's true and even then there weren't enough jobs for blacks to make it. Many blacks did own and operate many small businesses in the Harlem area of New York. The movie, Stompin at the Savoy (1992) depicted in great detail the lives of young blacks living in the city. The Delany Sisters (1998) is also another great movie that showed how hard it was for blacks even "up north" to be accepted as professionals in society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City