U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city/ Metro area is the best to live in ?
Minneapolis, MN 23 18.85%
Seattle, WA 26 21.31%
Portland, OR 3 2.46%
Boston, MA 27 22.13%
Pittsburgh, PA 8 6.56%
Salt Lake City, UT 7 5.74%
Milwaukee, WI 4 3.28%
Des Moines, IA 2 1.64%
Philadelphia, PA 20 16.39%
St.Louis, MO 2 1.64%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 01:40 PM

1,256 posts, read 876,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Seattle, Portland, and Salt Lake City are Northern cities?
Seattle is the Northernmost large city in the lower 48 by latitude. So, yes, it is clearly a Northern city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 02:01 PM

4,561 posts, read 2,526,558 times
Philly. better public events. better food. competitively priced. awesome bars. best museums/cultural institutions. not out in the middle of nowhere like most of these other cities are. I find it fascinating how highly people hold Minneapolis in regard on this site. I don't think I could ever do the Midwest personally.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:09 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,726,682 times
Also, you should have put Toronto in this poll.

They've taken to advertising themselves in this manner: http://raptorssh2014.web1574.msch.ca/images/prizing.jpg

Old 05-05-2015, 02:11 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,037,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Philly. better public events. better food. competitively priced. awesome bars. best museums/cultural institutions. not out in the middle of nowhere like most of these other cities are. I find it fascinating how highly people hold Minneapolis in regard on this site. I don't think I could ever do the Midwest personally.
I find if fascinating that you can be from Philadelphia and somehow still be smug.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I find if fascinating that you can be from Philadelphia and somehow still be smug.
right.. I am not even sure what that is suppose to me? I shouldn't be proud to be from Philly? Minneapolis' weather is just not my cup of tea. I am surprised so many people don't agree. Then again we are talking about cities in the north so maybe that has an effect on people liking the cold.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:36 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,046,429 times
The way people talk youd think you could ice skate in Minneapolis year round. Just another day on hyperbole-data.com I suppose.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
The way people talk youd think you could ice skate in Minneapolis year round. Just another day on hyperbole-data.com I suppose.
haha all I am saying is I watch the news I see where that polar vortex sits over top of.. Sorry I even said anything!

Old 05-05-2015, 03:16 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,631,655 times
I'm sitting at a coffee shop in south Minneapolis right now drinking a delicious lavender latte, having biked 7 miles to get here in comfortable 65-70 weather on busy off-street bike lanes. I just spent most of the afternoon outside in a park watching TV on my laptop. I'm wearing gym shorts and a t-shirt and I'm about to log off and bike to yoga. It was a very warm and sunny 80 all weekend and we're looking at high 60s to mid 70s for the next couple weeks. Over the winter I think there were about three days when I thought "I think I'll drive today, it's just a little cold to wait for the bus." Even on the coldest, greyest days of winter, I have never ever seen Lake Calhoun empty. So you don't have to live here if you don't want to, it really is fine if you don't want to deal with the cold, but don't act so surprised that other people DO want to.

Anyway I think it's interesting that Portland only has 1 vote currently. I'm not at all surprised that Boston, Seattle, and Minneapolis are winning, but it seems like Portland is the natural fourth companion. I guess most people just imagine Portland as clearly secondary to Seattle? (and/or Boston and/or Minneapolis?)

Old 05-05-2015, 03:23 PM

1,376 posts, read 942,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yes but they aren't "Northern" cities in the way we typically use that term when dividing the nation by regions, just like no one calls Los Angeles or Las Vegas "Southern" cities. They are considered Western cities first and foremost.
I've never heard people really describe a "Northern" region in the US, people talk about the Northeast, New England, Midwest, Great Lakes, Rocky Mountain States, or Pacific Northwest, but I've never heard someone say they're from "The North" unlike someone from "The South"--which has a fairly clear set of boundaries.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:53 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,547,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
I've never heard people really describe a "Northern" region in the US, people talk about the Northeast, New England, Midwest, Great Lakes, Rocky Mountain States, or Pacific Northwest, but I've never heard someone say they're from "The North" unlike someone from "The South"--which has a fairly clear set of boundaries.
"The North" usually refers to the Northeast in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or