U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city/ Metro area is the best to live in ?
Minneapolis, MN 23 18.85%
Seattle, WA 26 21.31%
Portland, OR 3 2.46%
Boston, MA 27 22.13%
Pittsburgh, PA 8 6.56%
Salt Lake City, UT 7 5.74%
Milwaukee, WI 4 3.28%
Des Moines, IA 2 1.64%
Philadelphia, PA 20 16.39%
St.Louis, MO 2 1.64%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 06:22 PM

621 posts, read 502,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
haha all I am saying is I watch the news I see where that polar vortex sits over top of.. Sorry I even said anything!
Your assumption is correct. I lived there over 20 years. MSP is a nice city, but by any measure it has one of the coldest, longest, greyest winters of any large metro area in the country.

And that's OK, no place is perfect. But I always get a chuckle from my friends in MN., who try so hard to convince folks that the winters
"aren't that bad". They doth protest too much, methinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 08:44 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,634,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
I've never heard people really describe a "Northern" region in the US, people talk about the Northeast, New England, Midwest, Great Lakes, Rocky Mountain States, or Pacific Northwest, but I've never heard someone say they're from "The North" unlike someone from "The South"--which has a fairly clear set of boundaries.
"The North" is increasingly synonymous with "the Upper Midwest." So Minnesota, Wisconsin, the Dakotas, Iowa, and Michigan. I describe myself as a Northerner and I would say that I'm from the North.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The Upper Midwest, or the North, is a region in the northern portion of the U.S. Census Bureau's Midwestern United States. ... the states of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan (especially the Upper Peninsula). By most definitions, it extends into Iowa, North and South Dakota, northern Illinois, eastern Nebraska, and parts of northeastern Montana.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:32 PM

134 posts, read 67,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Your assumption is correct. I lived there over 20 years. MSP is a nice city, but by any measure it has one of the coldest, longest, greyest winters of any large metro area in the country.

And that's OK, no place is perfect. But I always get a chuckle from my friends in MN., who try so hard to convince folks that the winters
"aren't that bad". They doth protest too much, methinks.
Mpls winters aren't very grey at all

Old 05-06-2015, 08:25 AM

MSP has the sunniest winters of any major city in the Northeast, Northwest, and North. The coldest days are usually the sunniest.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:29 AM

27,787 posts, read 24,850,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
I've never heard people really describe a "Northern" region in the US, people talk about the Northeast, New England, Midwest, Great Lakes, Rocky Mountain States, or Pacific Northwest, but I've never heard someone say they're from "The North" unlike someone from "The South"--which has a fairly clear set of boundaries.
Yeah "the North" is a bit more of a historical throwback, referring to both the Northeast and the Midwest. Whether the South has a fairly clear set of boundaries these days is somewhat debatable, but we've beat that into the ground enough around these parts.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:31 AM

668 posts, read 642,765 times
zero votes for salt lake city ?

I'm surprised

Old 05-06-2015, 03:39 PM

5,776 posts, read 6,981,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
"The North" usually refers to the Northeast in my experience.
I'd expand on that a little to include the Great Lakes states as well for what I think of with 'The North".

Old 05-06-2015, 04:42 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,554,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I'd expand on that a little to include the Great Lakes states as well for what I think of with 'The North".
From a southern perspective, the North will always be the Northeast. Michigan/Ohio/Indiana/Illinois/etc is pretty much known as the Upper Midwest.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:17 PM

Literally none of the states you listed are Upper Midwestern except maybe Michigan. I have lived in this region my entire life and I'm here to say that "the North" does not refer to the same place as "the Northeast."

Old 05-06-2015, 09:30 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,554,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Literally none of the states you listed are Upper Midwestern except maybe Michigan. I have lived in this region my entire life and I'm here to say that "the North" does not refer to the same place as "the Northeast."
Duh...you live somewhere else don't you? I said "from a southern perspective". Not sure how much clearer I could have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or