U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 09:29 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,119,044 times

Advertisements

What is so great about food in NYC or DC? I think just about ANY southern city blows NYC out of the water for taste. The NE seaboard seafood just doesn't impress me at all. The crab is *okay* ... but we get better stuff out of the gulf, including crab.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
New Orleans and Portland really punch above their weight.
How? New Orleans is regarded as a high end food city world wide. It has some of the best fine dining options you'll find. Not only that, but the food from New Orleans is rarely ever replicated elsewhere - and even then almost never done correctly.

Also, pretty surprised with everyones surprise that SF is on the list. You've heard of Napa Valley right? Salad Bowl of the country? It's like ... right there! SF has ALWAYS been known as a foodie city.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:06 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,506,920 times
Only one weirdo was really questioning SF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
So then please explain to me why

- San Francisco
- Portland
- Boston
- Seattle
- Washington

Are on the list, sounds to me you've never been to Miami, Vegas, Albuquerque, or Santa Fe.

That's if you've even travelled anywhere outside of where you currently live aka no where.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
So then please explain to me why
San Francisco is great in what Seafood ? Asian?

What if you don't care about those types of food?

The list was clearly compiled by white people who have no taste.
But the weirdo says things like that so no one really paid the weirdo much mind.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:44 AM

4,647 posts, read 3,021,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
But the weirdo says things like that so no one really paid the weirdo much mind.
I have a gut feeling said weirdo is posting from his parents basement somewhere in Yonkers.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:28 AM

Oh, okay... yeah I thought everybody in the world fell on their head. I thought I saw more but it was 1 person doing it.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:46 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,308,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
How? New Orleans is regarded as a high end food city world wide. It has some of the best fine dining options you'll find. Not only that, but the food from New Orleans is rarely ever replicated elsewhere - and even then almost never done correctly.

Also, pretty surprised with everyones surprise that SF is on the list. You've heard of Napa Valley right? Salad Bowl of the country? It's like ... right there! SF has ALWAYS been known as a foodie city.
New Orleans has some of the best regional cuisine in the US.

New Orleans' ethnic variety is ok, but not what I would consider great.

I personally would prefer a city like Houston over New Orleans food wise, but I can see why one would think otherwise.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:45 PM

632 posts, read 719,169 times
Quote:
What is so great about food in NYC or DC? I think just about ANY southern city blows NYC out of the water for taste. The NE seaboard seafood just doesn't impress me at all. The crab is *okay* ... but we get better stuff out of the gulf, including crab.
Not sure about DC, but I think for NY it's based on number of restaurants. When a city is that large it's got to have some great restaurants.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:08 PM

10,293 posts, read 12,418,846 times
Quote:
DC is overrated in almost every aspect imaginable, but NYC is fantastic in most food categories.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
New Orleans has some of the best regional cuisine in the US.

New Orleans' ethnic variety is ok, but not what I would consider great.

I personally would prefer a city like Houston over New Orleans food wise, but I can see why one would think otherwise.
Hmm... okay. If ethnic variety is what floats everyones boat, I won't argue that. Our ethnic variety ends up turning into something more regional anyways (Throw some Tabasco and shrimp in there!) - and damn delicious. I'd figure food quality that you can't get anywhere else would be more important than just being able to get some pretty good stuff of everything.

But pretty much anywhere you go in New Orleans is gonna be damn good and you can't deny that. You're not gonna get better begniets in Paris (an ambassador of France even said ours is better), and our food sauces can't be compared to by anything. That's probably why we don't do foreign very much - we end up putting our stuff on it.

Houston's got good food. I love Texas Baja. But pretty much everything else is done better elsewhere.

EDIT: as I eat my crawfish plate with potatoes and corn that were soaked in the boil ... I'm reminded of how I'll never, ever move from this backwards, unmanaged state.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:54 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,228,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Rasika in D.C. is said to be the #1 Indian restaurant in America and it's ethnic. Cheap and ethnic seems to be what isn't mutually exclusive.
Rasika is not the #1 restaurant in America. Its not even the #1 restaurant in DC. For a fusiony Indian restaurant like that, I'll take Badmaash here in LA any day over Rasika. Tastier and more interesting dishes, hipper vibe, way less stuffy.

For proper North Indian give me Heritage India in Georgetown.

For proper South Indian give me Woodlands in Langley Park, MD.

Here's a video featuring the Badmaash, and then Alma after that- another DTLA favorite (and also #1 new restaurant in America last year by Bon Appetit.)

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 05-13-2015 at 08:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or