U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 11:30 PM

18,259 posts, read 26,000,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
I go to Negril eatery near Howard university! The best Jamaican spots in DC are definitely hole in the wall places and some other very good places in suburban Maryland too.
Negril is very underwhelming. In fact, it's nasty to me and a Jamaican born professor at Howard told me to stay away from there. Sweet Mango's was decent (loved their jerk chicken) but I think they closed down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 06:02 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,717,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Negril is very underwhelming. In fact, it's nasty to me and a Jamaican born professor at Howard told me to stay away from there. Sweet Mango's was decent (loved their jerk chicken) but I think they closed down.
That's where I go because it's close to my job. I've had better places in DC though, way better. My favorite all time Jamaican spot is in Brooklyn though..... Footprints.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:21 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,793,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Quote:
That's where I go because it's close to my job. I've had better places in DC though, way better. My favorite all time Jamaican spot is in Brooklyn though..... Footprints.
Is the Negril in DC the same ownership as the one in Silver Spring? I've been to that location if so and was not exactly impressed. I have to admit I am super picky about JA food though and still have a chance to eat it right on the Island twice a year when I go to visit my parents.

I've been to footprints as well and for a fusion type place it is solid, but you have to be in the mood for that type of food.

This is why I was somewhat caught off guard with the statement that DC was right behind NYC for West Indian food. South Florida, Hartford and Boston all seem to hit the right points in that category before DC. But as with everything, peoples tastes vary.

How is the grocery shopping situation in the DC area for West Indian ingredients? I have a cousin who lives in Arlington that I have asked, but she has terrible taste in food despite being Jamaican, so I dont really trust her recommendations.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:30 PM

5,640 posts, read 13,344,188 times
SF is good for high end dining, but for low and mid price restaurants, LA should be above it. I don't think there's any certain type of cuisine that SF does significantly better. LA has the better Mexican and Asian foods. Maybe the seafood is slightly better and there's a few good Italian places in North Beach.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:11 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,619,491 times
I keep hearing D.C. is bad for food, but it seems to be placing high on these lists. It's just shocking a city so cosmopolitan and sophisticated would have a bad food scene.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:29 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,124,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
SF is good for high end dining, but for low and mid price restaurants, LA should be above it. I don't think there's any certain type of cuisine that SF does significantly better. LA has the better Mexican and Asian foods. Maybe the seafood is slightly better and there's a few good Italian places in North Beach.
South Asian food is probably a lot better in the Bay Area than it is in LA. That isn't to say LA is bad: I love Biryani House in Little Bangladesh (on 3rd and New Hampshire). But I haven't found a place like Salang Pass in Fremont (IMO, the best Afghan place I've eaten in the US) or Shalimar (there are a bunch in SF, but I liked the Berkeley one the most, only for familiarity reasons).

It's a bit more mainstream up there than it is down here for pretty obvious reasons. Though good luck finding a place like Raffi's (my favorite Persian place in Glendale) [not implying it's South Asian, but I've been obsessed with Persian food lately].

Last edited by Lets Eat Candy; 06-08-2015 at 05:44 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I keep hearing D.C. is bad for food, but it seems to be placing high on these lists. It's just shocking a city so cosmopolitan and sophisticated would have a bad food scene.
It's not bad...... It's just too expensive and it has room for improvement.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:08 PM

18,259 posts, read 26,000,971 times
To me, it's one thing that DC needs major improvement on IMO. To me, I've had better food in Houston than DC. They have a growing fine dining scene though.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:08 PM

7,005 posts, read 3,655,129 times
Quote:
It's not bad...... It's just too expensive and it has room for improvement.
Also, try to find a good Jewish deli in DC. There used to be one on Georgia Ave. called Posin's that was the real deal. But it's long gone. And I can't even think of a good Italian deli in DC. Maybe a couple in Montgomery Co. In my neck of the woods, Northern Va., maybe the Italian Store in Arlington.

Last edited by r small; 06-08-2015 at 06:22 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Also, try to find a good Jewish deli in DC. There used to be one on Georgia Ave. called Posen's that was the real deal. But it's long gone. And I can't even think of a good Italian deli in DC. Maybe a couple in Montgomery Co. In my neck of the woods, Northern Va., maybe the Italian Store in Arlington.
I'm Jewish myself..... I have my family to make those amazing kosher style meals. So I don't really care but yes I remember Posen's pretty upset it's gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or