U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 10:26 PM

111 posts, read 159,791 times

Advertisements

Vacation city: San Francisco, lots of iconic sights and neighborhoods to explore, a plethora of places to have a memorable meal, it's scenic, full of characters, and it has a very manageable size.

Architecture: San Francisco, I like that it has its own brand of rowhouse architecture, and more colorful than the brownstone neighborhoods back east.

Museums: Washington, DC. Not just for the Smithsonian, but for the experience of walking the national mall and seeing monuments and sculptures whilst pausing and reflecting, it enhances the whole museum experience.

Comfort food: Baltimore, Maryland crab cakes..mmmmmm.....,

Ethnic food: New York City, dim sum in Flushing, Queens was out of this world. You can find any kind of ethnic food your heart desires in NYC.

Nightlife: Chicago, I had so much fun bar hopping in the neighborhood around Wrigley Field.

College town: Burlington, VT. It has a predictable hippy college town vibe, but it's got such a pretty location on the lake.

City Parks: San Francisco, I love Golden Gate Park and the shoreline around the Marina District. Honorable mention to Portland, OR for the stellar views of the city and Mount Hood from the parks in the West Hills.

Mass Transit: Washington, DC. The metro is by far the best for being modern, clean, expansive, and all heavy rail, with more extended service to come.

Freeways/Road Infrastructure: Phoenix all around essentially has the newest, most modern freeway network with nice landscaping that efficiently moves traffic better than most metro areas.

Waterfront: Baltimore, it's my hometown so I'm partial to the Inner Harbor.

River City: Pittsburgh, just look at all the beautiful bridges that span these rivers between the hills, what a pretty city!

Coastal city: Seattle, catch it on a clear day and all the water and mountain views are magnificent.

Desert city: Tucson, it's eclectic and fun in a scenic mountain setting with saguaro cacti covered foothills. I enjoy living here.

City near the mountains: Salt Lake City, you just can't get a city any closer to a striking mountain range.

Cleanest City: Salt Lake City, the downtown felt a little too sanitized.

Eclectic city: Tucson, it tries so hard to not be like Phoenix.

Sports city: I was going to say Boston, but I just can't (feeling bad vibes on the Patriots). I'm going with Philadelphia, they are loyal yet rabid up there!

Christmas/Holiday city: Annapolis, MD, lots of old spirited charm, feels like and old story book.

History: Philadelphia, PA, lots of renewal and decay through the centuries.

Festivals: New Orleans, Le Bon Temps Roulé. Honorable mention to Tucson for its All Souls Procession.

Old school city: Baltimore, there is so much abandonment yet there is a bone structure to the city that is frozen in time.

Post modern city: Vancouver, BC. I've never seen a city with so much glass block after block.

Last edited by Shane73; 05-14-2015 at 10:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 12:02 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,507,842 times
Wow, bunch of homer boosting going on in this thread...

Anyways, here is mine:

Vacation city: Lake Tahoe

Architecture: SF

Museums: SF

Comfort food: SF

Ethnic food: SF

Nightlife: Lake Tahoe

College town: Berkeley / Palo Alto

City Parks: SF

Mass Transit: SF

Freeways/Road Infrastructure: SF

Waterfront: SF

River City: Sacramento

Coastal city: SF

Desert city: Dubai

City near the mountains: Lake Tahoe

Cleanest City: SF

Eclectic city: SF

Sports city: SF

Christmas/Holiday city: Lake Tahoe

History: SF

Festivals: SF

Old school city: SF

Post modern city: SF

I limited it so a city couldn't have more than 16 categories to keep it interesting.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:45 AM

11,910 posts, read 9,645,667 times
Vacation city: Somewhere warm with nice beaches… to me a true vacation is relaxing on the beach, not a trip to a city. Miami?

Architecture: New York

Museums: New York

Comfort food: Don't know

Ethnic food: New York

Nightlife: New York

College town: Hmm… Boston? So many good schools.

City Parks: New York

Mass Transit: New York

Freeways/Road Infrastructure: Don't know

Waterfront: New York

River City: New York

Coastal city: Boston

Desert city: Don't know

City near the mountains: Don't care

Cleanest City: Chicago (that I've seen)

Eclectic city: Don't know

Sports city: New York

Christmas/Holiday city: New York

History: Hmm… toss up. New York or Boston.

Festivals: Don't know

Old school city: Boston

Post modern city: Don't know

Old 05-15-2015, 12:02 PM

521 posts, read 500,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Interesting. Most here don't know anything about LR. It has long been one of my favorite small-town getaways...definitely an underrated destination
Yeah it's an interesting place. It has a lot of potential imo. With the small mountains and hills and forests. I think it could potentially be the outdoor destination of the South if they do things right. As it currently stands, it's kind of ghetto and lacks identity but I see a bright future for Little Rock if proper investments are made.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:41 PM

5,991 posts, read 7,933,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Wow, bunch of homer boosting going on in this thread...

Anyways, here is mine:

Vacation city: Lake Tahoe

Architecture: SF

Museums: SF

Comfort food: SF

Ethnic food: SF

Nightlife: Lake Tahoe

College town: Berkeley / Palo Alto

City Parks: SF

Mass Transit: SF

Freeways/Road Infrastructure: SF

Waterfront: SF

River City: Sacramento

Coastal city: SF

Desert city: Dubai

City near the mountains: Lake Tahoe

Cleanest City: SF

Eclectic city: SF

Sports city: SF

Christmas/Holiday city: Lake Tahoe

History: SF

Festivals: SF

Old school city: SF

Post modern city: SF

I limited it so a city couldn't have more than 16 categories to keep it interesting.
Was your comment meant to be ironic, considering you chose SF for almost every category?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or