U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 02:03 PM

11,475 posts, read 25,708,361 times

Advertisements

That's a tough one. The only reason I say that is because what the company is offering you in ATL. I prefer Charlotte over Atlanta honestly. If it were me, I would bring it up to the Charlotte company and see if they'd be willing to offer some or all of the perks that the Atlanta one is. Too me, I understand why people say to go to ATL but ultimately it's important to live where I like it as well. OTOH, if you liked it in ATL, you may still want to consider. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 03:18 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,539,681 times
The main difference between Charlotte and Atlanta is that one is a city of nearly 6 million and one is less than 3 million. In Atlanta you get what a city of 6 million has to offer. Traffic isn't all that different between the two, and it's easy to avoid traffic by living near work and possibly using public transit. It depends on what you're looking for, but both are good choices.

I would choose the better deal.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:42 PM

27,752 posts, read 24,763,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The main difference between Charlotte and Atlanta is that one is a city of nearly 6 million and one is less than 3 million. In Atlanta you get what a city of 6 million has to offer. Traffic isn't all that different between the two, and it's easy to avoid traffic by living near work and possibly using public transit. It depends on what you're looking for, but both are good choices.

I would choose the better deal.
Having actually lived in both cities, I strongly disagree here. Charlotte's traffic isn't a cakewalk by any means, but Atlanta's is a completely different beast altogether; that's one of the negatives that come along with being a metro of almost 6 million versus one over 2 million. But I agree that it's more or less avoidable by living within a reasonable distance to work and using MARTA rail where feasible.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:47 PM

2,061 posts, read 2,830,458 times
I would go with Atlanta over Charlotte by a very wide margin. Atlanta has better shopping, better public transit, more cultural amenities, better dining, better nightlife, entertainment, and just more to do overall. However when moving to a new city I would always advise to rent first and give it a one year to 6 month test run to see if Atlanta is a good fit for you. I once bought a house in a city I thought I liked from visiting, "let's just say that was the biggest mistake I've ever made. Selling a house can be a very tedious task once you decide you want out abruptly. Atlanta is an awesome city IMHO, and fill very fortunate to live here.

If you will be working in Midtown I suggest you try Roswell, Buckhead, Lindbergh, or Dunwoody. All four areas are nice and have easy access to Marta. You don't want to drive to Midtown if you don't have to, traffic during peak hours can be a nightmare. Buckhead is doable by car but can be a little too bustling for family oriented people. Good luck with your decision.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:26 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,808,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtcoa15829 View Post
Hi- I currently have job offers in both Atlanta and Charotte. The positions are similar, and the companies are both highly rated. However, The Atlanta offer is more lucrative, and offers more. When my fiancé and I were originally talking about relocating, Charlotte was our goal. The Atlanta job kind of dropped in our laps. I thoroughly enjoyed the recent visits I've made to Atlanta, but am not overly familiar with the area. We would be looking to live in the suburbs where we can find a neighborhood feel, and some land. I've heard positives and negatives about both places; while we recognize and respect it, the Atlanta traffic is not our biggest concern. Really I'm just looking for some insight, is Charlote worth the cost we'd have to pay to move there, versus being paid to move to Atlanta? Thank you in advance.
As others have mentioned if The Atlanta job is offering more then that might be a better fit. As someone else noted you could talk to the Charlotte job and see if they'll match. Another thing, when you and your fiancé get married how soon will kids come into the picture? From what I hear, both public schools associated in each city leaves more room to be desired but the suburbs offer better schools. One advantage for Charlotte is bordering it are nice SC suburbs with lower taxes, gas prices, and in most respects better schools. I also recommend what another posted stated and rent first to know which area you want to buy in for whatever city you choose. Best of luck. Btw, I am partial to Charlotte but Atlanta is awesome.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:19 AM

4 posts, read 3,872 times
Thank you everyone, I accepted the Atlanta offer today so we will be moving there this July. I really appreciate all the insight!

Old 05-08-2015, 02:14 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,115,328 times
Congrats on the new job.

I live in Atlanta and would not trade it for any other city in America. I think you made a great choice.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:02 PM

5,789 posts, read 6,342,595 times
Quote:
Hi- I currently have job offers in both Atlanta and Charotte. The positions are similar, and the companies are both highly rated. However, The Atlanta offer is more lucrative, and offers more. When my fiancé and I were originally talking about relocating, Charlotte was our goal. The Atlanta job kind of dropped in our laps. I thoroughly enjoyed the recent visits I've made to Atlanta, but am not overly familiar with the area. We would be looking to live in the suburbs where we can find a neighborhood feel, and some land. I've heard positives and negatives about both places; while we recognize and respect it, the Atlanta traffic is not our biggest concern. Really I'm just looking for some insight, is Charlote worth the cost we'd have to pay to move there, versus being paid to move to Atlanta? Thank you in advance.
Whatever you do, DO NOT MOVE TO ATLANTA!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
That's a tough one. The only reason I say that is because what the company is offering you in ATL. I prefer Charlotte over Atlanta honestly. If it were me, I would bring it up to the Charlotte company and see if they'd be willing to offer some or all of the perks that the Atlanta one is.
Yes, see if they will match, and then agree to whatever they say cause you DO NOT WANT TO MOVE TO ATLANTA!!!

Quote:
Thank you everyone, I accepted the Atlanta offer today so we will be moving there this July. I really appreciate all the insight!
OH NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Old 05-09-2015, 02:03 PM

5,789 posts, read 6,342,595 times
I'm just being a dork. I don't know Charlotte that well but I do like Atlanta a lot. I'm actually in the city right now...maybe I'll stop drinking so much coke.

You'll be able to find what you want in ATL. And if you can live near a MARTA line then traffic is a moot point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or