U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 06:56 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,861,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
It's very simply you see this issue as an American: white, black, etc.

I see this more as a foreigner, there are white Americans, black Americans but also foreign whites, foreign blacks.

Look at the foreign born of both cities and you get the picture. Atlanta is dominated by American culture whether that culture is white (good ole' southern) or black. Miami is dominated by foreign (aka cosmopolitan cultures) whether it's Cuban, Brazilian, Argentinian or on the flip side Russian, Italian or Bulgarian.

Who is in your room is not my concern.
Yet you neglected to mention any Asians or Africans.Yet that's somehow cosmopolitan to you.

Yes in in Miami you have the good ole senor'.Cubans dominate Miami.If you are not entrenched in that network,you will have limitations.
You still avoided my questions but I know why you did.

No I see this a person.I can honestly say my group of friends are from every background so while it may not be your concern,it shows how ignorant your remarks are.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:00 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,480,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

No I see this a person.I can honestly say my group of friends are from every background so while it may not be your concern,it shows how ignorant your remarks are.
Atlanta is a city with a metro of 4 million people. You will find a Brazilian there, a Turk there don't worry. But there is more diversity of foreign born in Miami here than Atlanta.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:58 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,591,740 times
Quote:
Atlanta is a city with a metro of 4 million people. You will find a Brazilian there, a Turk there don't worry. But there is more diversity of foreign born in Miami here than Atlanta.
This is true. I do think Miami is more cosmopolitan than Atlanta as well, but being cosmopolitan does not necessarily make for a good city. For example, a lot of Miami's Latin community is located in poor neighborhoods...most of them aren't in those lavished beachside condos most people think of when it comes to Miami.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:03 PM

27,749 posts, read 24,763,128 times
Quote:
No knowledgeable person would disagree with this, but this doesn't mean that Atlanta lacks diversity altogether because that's egregiously false.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Well again get your facts straight.Its a metro of MORE than 5 million.
Foreign born from one area of the world means very little.Again if you are missing Africans and Asians then you cant claim its the most diverse.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:21 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,497,672 times
Atlanta ranks right behind Miami for U.S. cities with the most foreign consulate offices. The notion that Atlanta isn't a very diverse metro with strong international influences is absurd.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:30 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,961,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Which is my point I have tried to convey but somehow often flaws in American cities are apart of the criticism but overlooked at cities like Mexico City because they are "exotic".
Mexico city is great to visit but hardly a great city to live in by many merits.
I can understand why Atlanta has more votes than Miami. Mexico City has every negative Miami has (wealth disparity, crime, and struggling economy, rampant homelessness), but it has an infinitely better range of cultural offerings that Miami has. Living in Miami in some ways, is like having all the negatives of Mexico City, without all the positives(culture, public transit, size, iconic status). Miami is rightfully 3rd in this group of cities.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I can understand why Atlanta has more votes than Miami. Mexico City has every negative Miami has (wealth disparity, crime, and struggling economy, rampant homelessness), but it has an infinitely better range of cultural offerings that Miami has. Living in Miami in some ways, is like having all the negatives of Mexico City, without all the positives(culture, public transit, size, iconic status). Miami is rightfully 3rd in this group of cities.
You are right.If Miami had Mexico's range of cultural offerings as well as tranist it would make up for all its short comings

Last edited by afonega1; 05-15-2015 at 09:23 PM..

Old 05-15-2015, 08:44 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,756,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I can understand why Atlanta has more votes than Miami. Mexico City has every negative Miami has (wealth disparity, crime, and struggling economy), but it has an infinitely better range of cultural offerings that Miami has. Living in Miami in some ways, is like having all the negatives of Mexico City, without all the positives(culture, public transit, size, iconic status). Miami is rightfully 3rd in this group of cities.
There is a reason why rich Latin Americans have a second home in Miami and not the reverse. Miami offers security with North American amenities...a perfect setting to flash wealth without taking the same excessive precautions one would have to take down south, whether Mexico, Colombia or Brazil. Nonetheless, Miami will always feel a little below king pins like Mexico City, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo...in culture at least, if not necessarily in quality of life (Miami prolly has the upper hand), which proves too attractive to those very wealthy Latin Americans.

My question is i wonder what attracts Europeans and Israelis to Miami? How much semblance does Miami have to euro equivalents like Barcelona. I would think Barce has twice the cultural amenities as Miami, due to its age alone...plus every other positive Miami has (cosmopolitan beach culture).

Still as an Southern Californian, i find Atlanta more attractive in its offerings. I am Mexican, but my Latin origins dont define me as much, and i need more diversity than a Pan Latino dystopia can provide. Plus other Latinos cant handle spicy food like Mexicans...so i depend on Asian food as a back up lol.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:03 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,961,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If you're going by visible history, then the gap between Mexico City and Atlanta dwarfs the gap between Atlanta and Miami. Also, I'd be a bit more forgiving to Miami and the area--its first really big building boom was in the 1920s and quite a lot of it was actually preserved. And while Miami probably doesn't have historical buildings as old as Atlanta's with most historic buildings being from the 1920s and a scattershot of buildings from the latter half of the 19th century, it seems to have been better at conserving large portions of what it does have and leaving it mostly intact.
This is true. Little Havana in particular is one of the most historically preserved neighborhoods in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or