Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 09:11 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I have never found anything in Miami like Fairlie-Poplar: Fairlie-Poplar, Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Miami has some great Art Deco areas, but Atlanta has dozens of historic neighborhoods surrounding the historic districts in core areas of downtown and Midtown...and even in Atlanta's suburbs you almost always find a historic downtown with surrounding historic neighborhoods. I haven't seen anything in Miami that stands up to the historic buildings and home in Atlanta outside of Miami Beach. I know there are other historic areas, but they pale in comparison to those in Atlanta.
You can find historic neighborhoods scattered from Miami to West Palm. West Palm Beach in particular has done an excellent job at preserving it's historic neighborhoods. Northwood Village, Northwood Hills, Old Northwood, Northwood Harbor, Flamingo Park, El Cid, and Grandview Heights are some of the historic neighborhoods in West Palm Beach.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:29 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
There is a reason why rich Latin Americans have a second home in Miami and not the reverse. Miami offers security with North American amenities...a perfect setting to flash wealth without taking the same excessive precautions one would have to take down south, whether Mexico, Colombia or Brazil. Nonetheless, Miami will always feel a little below king pins like Mexico City, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo...in culture at least, if not necessarily in quality of life (Miami prolly has the upper hand), which proves too attractive to those very wealthy Latin Americans.

My question is i wonder what attracts Europeans and Israelis to Miami? How much semblance does Miami have to euro equivalents like Barcelona. I would think Barce has twice the cultural amenities as Miami, due to its age alone...plus every other positive Miami has (cosmopolitan beach culture).

Still as an Southern Californian, i find Atlanta more attractive in its offerings. I am Mexican, but my Latin origins dont define me as much, and i need more diversity than a Pan Latino dystopia can provide. Plus other Latinos cant handle spicy food like Mexicans...so i depend on Asian food as a back up lol.

Atlanta is very diverse and this notion that it caters to blacks come from soley the fact that blacks have things and acess to things they dont have everywhere.That does not in anyway mean that its mainly for black people.Anyone who suggest that is just lying.

If I could not have a diverse group of friends and access to different cultures ,there would be no way I would live here.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
There is a reason why rich Latin Americans have a second home in Miami and not the reverse. Miami offers security with North American amenities...a perfect setting to flash wealth without taking the same excessive precautions one would have to take down south, whether Mexico, Colombia or Brazil. Nonetheless, Miami will always feel a little below king pins like Mexico City, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo...in culture at least, if not necessarily in quality of life (Miami prolly has the upper hand), which proves too attractive to those very wealthy Latin Americans.

My question is i wonder what attracts Europeans and Israelis to Miami? How much semblance does Miami have to euro equivalents like Barcelona. I would think Barce has twice the cultural amenities as Miami, due to its age alone...plus every other positive Miami has (cosmopolitan beach culture).

Still as an Southern Californian, i find Atlanta more attractive in its offerings. I am Mexican, but my Latin origins dont define me as much, and i need more diversity than a Pan Latino dystopia can provide. Plus other Latinos cant handle spicy food like Mexicans...so i depend on Asian food as a back up lol.
I honestly have no idea what attracts Europeans and Israelis to Miami. But for some reason they love it there.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Atlanta is very diverse and this notion that it caters to blacks come from soley the fact that blacks have things and acess to things they dont have everywhere.That does not in anyway mean that its mainly for black people.Anyone who suggest that is just lying.

If I could not have a diverse group of friends and access to different cultures ,there would be no way I would live here.
I agree. It's like any city that has Blacks prosperity is often seen as city that only caters to Blacks. In alot of peoples minds a city with Black prosperity must be a city that only cares for it's black population and rejects other cultures. Unfair how people view Atlanta.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:47 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

It's black Hollywood! Go ask that horrible producer Tyler Perry along with Outkast and the cast of Single Ladies.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:12 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:

RudyOD hope this will explain things. Miami and most of southeast Florida was developed by New Yorkers and Jewish bankers that didn't have to face discrimination in the South since this part of Florida didn't even exist when the Civil War broke out so it was virgin territory.
Miami is often refered to as the 6th. borough:

Urban Dictionary: the sixth borough

I think you also meant "diasporia"? not "dystopia"? Atlanta has Asians and they all live in the suburbs along Buford highway with their suburban Asian strip mall food chains so it isn't exactly Chinatown.

As for Mexicans in Miami most I have met are wealthy and white! Go figure!

Old 05-16-2015, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
RudyOD hope this will explain things. Miami and most of southeast Florida was developed by New Yorkers and Jewish bankers that didn't have to face discrimination in the South since this part of Florida didn't even exist when the Civil War broke out so it was virgin territory.
Miami is often refered to as the 6th. borough:

Urban Dictionary: the sixth borough

I think you also meant "diasporia"? not "dystopia"? Atlanta has Asians and they all live in the suburbs along Buford highway with their suburban Asian strip mall food chains so it isn't exactly Chinatown.

As for Mexicans in Miami most I have met are wealthy and white! Go figure!
Miami is no longer the 6th borough.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:27 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
Atlanta
miami
Mexico city

Old 05-16-2015, 09:11 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
It's black Hollywood! Go ask that horrible producer Tyler Perry along with Outkast and the cast of Single Ladies.
Yep, and Atlanta is also where tons of movies and shows featuring all demographics are filmed.

Georgia film, TV industries showing strong growth - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Every Movie and TV Show Now Filming in Georgia

Old 05-16-2015, 09:22 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
This is exactly what I mean
Pinewood Studios is probably one of the biggest studios in the world.Along with many other studios in Atlanta area and people like the Zac Brown Band,Julia Roberts,Dakota Fanning and several other non black famous people yet its ONLY black people and black things happening in Atlanta.Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City