U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 09:35 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,253,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
RudyOD hope this will explain things. Miami and most of southeast Florida was developed by New Yorkers and Jewish bankers that didn't have to face discrimination in the South since this part of Florida didn't even exist when the Civil War broke out so it was virgin territory.
Miami is often refered to as the 6th. borough:

Urban Dictionary: the sixth borough

I think you also meant "diasporia"? not "dystopia"? Atlanta has Asians and they all live in the suburbs along Buford highway with their suburban Asian strip mall food chains so it isn't exactly Chinatown.

As for Mexicans in Miami most I have met are wealthy and white! Go figure!
One of the reason Im not a fan of Miami.t seems Miami has really tried to forget any trace of the contributions of how and who help settle and build the city.
Oh there was definitely discrimination in Florida but for Blacks.Many of the toniest places today were black communities in Florida before they were forcibly moved.

Quote:
A part of the historic heart of Miami, it was designated as a "colored" neighborhood after the creation and incorporation of Miami in 1896. The incorporation of Miami as a city occurred at the insistence of Standard Oil and FEC railroad tycoon Henry Flagler, whose mostly black American railroad construction workers settled near what became Downtown Miami, just north of Flagler's Royal Palm Hotel on the Miami River. Owing to a substantive black population, 168 of the 362 men who voted for the creation of the city of Miami were counted as "colored," but the separate but equal segregation laws of the Deep South dictated the city designate the portion of the city, in this case, north and west of FEC railroad tracks, as "Colored Town.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtow...mi%29the%20dee
Florida was problably more racist than anywhere in the Deep South which it was definitely a part of the South then.
Ever here of Rosewood?

Old 05-16-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
RudyOD hope this will explain things. Miami and most of southeast Florida was developed by New Yorkers and Jewish bankers that didn't have to face discrimination in the South since this part of Florida didn't even exist when the Civil War broke out so it was virgin territory.

I think you also meant "diasporia"? not "dystopia"? Atlanta has Asians and they all live in the suburbs along Buford highway with their suburban Asian strip mall food chains so it isn't exactly Chinatown.

Oh and they are not "chains".They are all locally owned ehinic resturants

Old 05-16-2015, 11:58 AM

5,170 posts, read 3,450,736 times
Quote:
Atlanta has Asians and they all live in the suburbs along Buford highway with their suburban Asian strip mall food chains so it isn't exactly Chinatown.
No, they don't all live along Buford Highway. Speaking of which, there is absolutely no equivalent of Buford Highway anywhere in Florida, not just Miami. If there were, it would be held up as yet more proof of how 'un-Southern' you are.

This downplaying of our large Asian community by some Miamians confirms that they simply don't understand Atlanta. We don't fit in a neat little Southern black & white box they imagine us to be.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No, they don't all live along Buford Highway. Speaking of which, there is absolutely no equivalent of Buford Highway anywhere in Florida, not just Miami. If there were, it would be held up as yet more proof of how 'un-Southern' you are.

This downplaying of our large Asian community by some Miamians confirms that they simply don't understand Atlanta. We don't fit in a neat little Southern black & white box they imagine us to be.
Exactly.I live in the suburbs just South of Atlanta and near me has one of the largest Vietnamese populations in the U.S.Even one of the mayors is Vietnamese.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:30 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,872,719 times
Quote:

Thanks for the tidbit of history!

Yeah, I definitely meant dystopia haha

Old 05-16-2015, 12:33 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,872,719 times
Quote:
It's black Hollywood! Go ask that horrible producer Tyler Perry along with Outkast and the cast of Single Ladies.
Well if we are going to.be blaming black hollywood, lets also focus on white hollywood for a second. White Hollywood has the world.believing that NYC is only about white people. Tell me how many shows based in New York City had a cast that wasnt all white people? Its supposed to.be the most diverse city in the WORLD, but we wouldnt know it thanks to white Hollywood, that makes it seem as if New York is actually Pittsburgh demographically.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:36 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,691,882 times
I've just arrived in ATL after driving down from Charlotte. We've just driven on Jimmy Carter Blvd heading West theough Gwinett Village and Fulton County(Roswell). Soooo many ethnic strip malls, and business parks. The hills are also beautiful. So many rolling hills and apartments atop these hills. But there's ALOT of these kinda suburban style ethnic(primarily, Mexican, Korean and a few Caribbean) businesses. I'd say most of the places aren't chains, but locally owned businesses. Interesting really. Diverse sprawl. But beautiful nonetheless.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

Silver Star Road in Orlando would be a close equivalent. Vietnamese businesses, Strip Mall Chinatowns, Haitian, Jamaican, and Puerto Rican businesses abound on Silverstar Rd.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:50 PM

5,170 posts, read 3,450,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Silver Star Road in Orlando would be a close equivalent. Vietnamese businesses, Strip Mall Chinatowns, Haitian, Jamaican, and Puerto Rican businesses abound on Silverstar Rd.
Interesting to hear, thanks! My sister lives near there in Rosemont, I'll check it out next time I'm down there. I haven't been down Silver Star in years.

Enjoy your visit to Atlanta.

You should check out Downtown Roswell. The old mill and waterfall is beautiful.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:48 PM

Funny, I'm currently driving through Northern Fulton/Gwinett/Cherokee county. I'm REALLY surprised by how non-black these burbs are. I see ALOT of White people. But Buford Highway was admittedly diverse. This isn't my 1st time in ATL, but this is the 1st time I've been here long enough to observe things. I'm here for the weekend. Didn't realize how White metro Atlanta is.

Last edited by polo89; 05-16-2015 at 02:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or