U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-16-2015, 06:51 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,539,681 times
Reputation: 4045

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
...wouldn't have guessed that either. I've only been to North Florida (Pensacola, Jacksonville, etc)
I wouldn't have guessed that either...

Miami CSA: 9,310
Atlanta CSA: 10,494

 
Old 05-16-2015, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,861,080 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I wouldn't have guessed that either...

Miami CSA: 9,310
Atlanta CSA: 10,494
??
 
Old 05-16-2015, 11:24 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,861,080 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Atlanta CSA:
Total Population of Atlanta CSA: 6,162,195
- Born in state of residence (GA): 2,941,346
- Born in other state in the United States: 2,208,529
+ Born in Northeastern United States: 490,917
+ Born in Midwestern United States: 477,186
+ Born in Southern United States: 1,043,852
+ Born in Western United States: 196,574
- Born in United States but not on the mainland (U.S. territories/Puerto Rico): 80,249
- Foreign Born: 778,759
+ Naturalized U.S. Citizen: 295,187
+ Not a U.S. Citizen: 483,572

Miami CSA:
Total Population of Miami CSA: 6,447,610
- Born in state of residence (FL): 2,021,777
- Born in other state in the United States: 1,838,631
+ Born in Northeastern United States: 1,071,918
+ Born in Midwestern United States: 332,695
+ Born in Southern United States: 336,512
+ Born in Western United States: 97,506
- Born in United States but not on the mainland (U.S. territories/Puerto Rico): 170,786
- Foreign Born: 2,249,790
+ Naturalized U.S. Citizen: 1,163,245
+ Not a U.S. Citizen: 1,086,545

American FactFinder - Results
More than a million people in Miami are not citizens yet you think Miami embodies what is America more than many other U.S. cites?

It would be even more interesting to know the breakdown of where people who live in Mexico City hail from.

Atlanta and Miami are growing basically at the same pace.Miami 4.55% vs Atlanta at 4.26%
 
Old 05-17-2015, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,479 posts, read 7,714,517 times
Reputation: 7295
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
More than a million people in Miami are not citizens yet you think Miami embodies what is America more than many other U.S. cites?

It would be even more interesting to know the breakdown of where people who live in Mexico City hail from.

Atlanta and Miami are growing basically at the same pace.Miami 4.55% vs Atlanta at 4.26%
Yeah I clearly said it embodies America as in the Americas (the Western Hemisphere - which I explicitly said is North and South America).

Read it again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I agree, Miami is THE American city.

Miami is North American, South American, Caribbean American, Central American, All-American, Argentine-American, Chilean-American, Bolivian-American, every sort of American. Fewer all around American cities out there as American as Miami; if the context of America is the entire Western Hemisphere at-large that is (Continents of North & South America).

It is the benefit of being the converging point of the Americas on the Floridian Peninsula.

Pretty much any city or town of any noteworthy value in the entire Western Hemisphere (the Americas) has a gate into and/or out of Miami. Look at the ring of destination service airports in the Caribbean region, or the piaffe stranglehold it has over South America for example. Miami also has expats from pretty much any noteworthy sized town or city in the Western Hemisphere - with them have come financial investment, real estate investment, art investment, athletics investment, logistical demand, and media and/or entertainment investment. For example, Miami plays a role in nearly every major film industry/media outlet in the Western Hemisphere - with varying degrees of involvement in each respectively.
Go ahead and try to argue any of those points. There isn't a need to, it is all true. Miami is a huge investment zone for Latin Americans from nearly all Latin American countries. Latin America, by the way, is also America, just not the United States of America sort of America.

By the way, just because it says "not a citizen" doesn't mean that they are undocumented by the way, I don't know if that was what you were getting at or not but most are probably on a greencard and/or visa or some sort. I mean, technically I am not an American citizen either but I have a permanent residency card to live here (whereas my father was born here, as were all my siblings, and my mother is naturalized 23 years ago). Probably lots more like me or another similar situation here, it is the most foreign place in the United States, that is for sure.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 05-17-2015 at 12:17 AM..
 
Old 05-17-2015, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Florida
4,813 posts, read 2,213,636 times
Reputation: 6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Yeah I clearly said it embodies America as in the Americas (the Western Hemisphere - which I explicitly said is North and South America).

Read it again:

Go ahead and try to argue any of those points. There isn't a need to, it is all true. Miami is a huge investment zone for Latin Americans from nearly all Latin American countries. Latin America, by the way, is also America, just not the United States of America sort of America.

By the way, just because it says "not a citizen" doesn't mean that they are undocumented by the way, I don't know if that was what you were getting at or not but most are probably on a greencard and/or visa or some sort. I mean, technically I am not an American citizen either but I have a permanent residency card to live here (whereas my father was born here, as were all my siblings, and my mother is naturalized 23 years ago). Probably lots more like me or another similar situation here, it is the most foreign place in the United States, that is for sure.
Most foreign born people in Miami are basically not illegals though.
 
Old 05-17-2015, 09:42 AM
 
14,006 posts, read 21,961,418 times
Reputation: 4085
Parts of Metro Atlanta remind me of Austin. Mainly because of the 200-300ft hills with homes atop them. I mainly saw this while driving through east Cobb County. There are plenty of rolling hills in Charlotte, but nothing like what's here in Atlanta as far as 300ft steep hills with homes at the top. Mertro Atlanta really reminds me of a greener version of Austin.
 
Old 05-17-2015, 09:49 AM
Status: "Ready for Fall" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Atlanta
4,645 posts, read 3,015,634 times
Reputation: 3862
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Parts of Metro Atlanta remind me of Austin. Mainly because of the 200-300ft hills with homes atop them. I mainly saw this while driving through east Cobb County. There are plenty of rolling hills in Charlotte, but nothing like what's here in Atlanta as far as 300ft steep hills with homes at the top. Mertro Atlanta really reminds me of a greener version of Austin.
You should check out Mount Wilkinson in Vinings. Amazing views of all the skylines up there.
 
Old 05-17-2015, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,861,080 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Yeah I clearly said it embodies America as in the Americas (the Western Hemisphere - which I explicitly said is North and South America).

Read it again:

Go ahead and try to argue any of those points. There isn't a need to, it is all true. Miami is a huge investment zone for Latin Americans from nearly all Latin American countries. Latin America, by the way, is also America, just not the United States of America sort of America.

By the way, just because it says "not a citizen" doesn't mean that they are undocumented by the way, I don't know if that was what you were getting at or not but most are probably on a greencard and/or visa or some sort. I mean, technically I am not an American citizen either but I have a permanent residency card to live here (whereas my father was born here, as were all my siblings, and my mother is naturalized 23 years ago). Probably lots more like me or another similar situation here, it is the most foreign place in the United States, that is for sure.
My fault.I misunderstood your point initially.Ok I get what you are saying.
However you know that was not my point and it has no bearing on my initial point.

Fact is I'm glad Miami is Miami as it os today because it is unique in a sense and its nice to have a somewhat exotic olace within our country to be able to get tp.However I think living there for many born Americans,its an intimidating place to be and can be uncomfortable for those who do not speak Spanish.
 
Old 05-17-2015, 12:07 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,126 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Reputation: 10216
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
My fault.I misunderstood your point initially.Ok I get what you are saying.
However you know that was not my point and it has no bearing on my initial point.

Fact is I'm glad Miami is Miami as it os today because it is unique in a sense and its nice to have a somewhat exotic olace within our country to be able to get tp.However I think living there for many born Americans,its an intimidating place to be and can be uncomfortable for those who do not speak Spanish.
Spanish helps, but you can still do pretty much everything in English. The place where it really dings you, besides maybe making some neighborhoods and their amenities less available to you (not really that big of a problem since it's a very large metro anyhow), is that those who can speak Spanish generally have an edge on you in terms of employment.
 
Old 05-17-2015, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,861,080 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Spanish helps, but you can still do pretty much everything in English. The place where it really dings you, besides maybe making some neighborhoods and their amenities less available to you (not really that big of a problem since it's a very large metro anyhow), is that those who can speak Spanish generally have an edge on you in terms of employment.
And this is a major problem for people who do not.

The other downside is that Miami will never be more than a Gateway for the Carribean and Latin America.Its not bad but its limiting.It will never be like a NYC,Chicago,LA ,Boston etc.
For example;Atlanta routinely attracts companies willing to relocate and even establish their companies or headquaters here.
Mercedes Benz,Porshe,Novellis,and several other international companies with North American headquarters in Atlanta are just a drop in the bucket.

In fact Atlanta ranks 14th in the world in the number of international headquarters.

1.London
2.Singapore
3.New York
4.Amsterdam
5.Hong Kong
6.Paris
7.Chicago
8.Toronto
9.Zurich
10.Berlin
11.Stockholm
12.Frankfurt
13.Brussels
14.Atlanta
15.San Francsco
16.Geneva
17Sydney
18.Washington D.C.
19.Montreal
20.Madrid


28.Houston
29.Miami
30.Barcelona

Mexico City is at #57.

The same report of most competetive cities puts Atlanta at number 1in the world.
Site Selection 2013 The World's Most Competitive Cities

Not bad for a city that caters on mainly to "black people".lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top