U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 05:25 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,541,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

Not bad for a city that caters on mainly to "black people".lol
You can easily tell when someone is wrapped up in The Real Housewives of Atlanta.

It's a reality show, people. It's not real life, and does not represent the whole of Atlanta.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:12 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,964,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
You can easily tell when someone is wrapped up in The Real Housewives of Atlanta.

It's a reality show, people. It's not real life, and does not represent the whole of Atlanta.
I couldn't agree more. I just got back to Charlotte from visiting Suburban Atlanta. I barely saw any blacks besides my family who I was visiting. The only time I saw a cluster of blacks, is when we drove on Jimmy Carter Blvd. through Gwinett Village.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:25 PM

All in All, the Atlanta area is gorgeous. I could see myself living amongst those hills above East Cobb or around the corner in those apartments near all those ethnic plazas in Gwinett Village. Gwinett Village and Buford Highway seemed cool. I like all those small towns along the Northern Atlanta metro like Smyrna, Norcross, etc. I like them primarily, because they don't operated like your typical small southern towns. All those ethnic plazas(Korean, Mexican, Dominican, Jamaican, Vietnamese) give it a pretty cool flair. And I couldn't get enough of the topography of these areas either. Sooo many HIGH hills with apartments and homes at the top of them with GREAT views of the city
Then you got apartments abutting mountains(like the apartments complexes I saw at the base of the Kenisaw Mountains in Woodstock). Metro Atlanta is a lovely area. It's like a larger, more mountainous, more ethnically diverse version of Charlotte. Did I mention mountainous. I never realized how mountainous Atlanta was. I recall seeing Stone Mountain in the distance heading South on 85. It's funny, I didn't even visit downtown, midtown, or any of the districts within the city limits, and I still enjoyed my visit. ATL has some awesome burbs.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:18 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,863,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I couldn't agree more. I just got back to Charlotte from visiting Suburban Atlanta. I barely saw any blacks besides my family who I was visiting. The only time I saw a cluster of blacks, is when we drove on Jimmy Carter Blvd. through Gwinett Village.
If you saw blacks there they more likely were of African descent.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
All in All, the Atlanta area is gorgeous. I could see myself living amongst those hills above East Cobb or around the corner in those apartments near all those ethnic plazas in Gwinett Village. Gwinett Village and Buford Highway seemed cool. I like all those small towns along the Northern Atlanta metro like Smyrna, Norcross, etc. I like them primarily, because they don't operated like your typical small southern towns. All those ethnic plazas(Korean, Mexican, Dominican, Jamaican, Vietnamese) give it a pretty cool flair. And I couldn't get enough of the topography of these areas either. Sooo many HIGH hills with apartments and homes at the top of them with GREAT views of the city
Then you got apartments abutting mountains(like the apartments complexes I saw at the base of the Kenisaw Mountains in Woodstock). Metro Atlanta is a lovely area. It's like a larger, more mountainous, more ethnically diverse version of Charlotte. Did I mention mountainous. I never realized how mountainous Atlanta was. I recall seeing Stone Mountain in the distance heading South on 85. It's funny, I didn't even visit downtown, midtown, or any of the districts within the city limits, and I still enjoyed my visit. ATL has some awesome burbs.
This is what people miss and wonder hy so many people love the area.They hang out a Five Point and think "this is it?"They could not be more wrong and I just stop trying to convince people how wrong they are after awhile and just give up trying.
Their loss and I HONESTLY and TRULY believe and feel this way.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:24 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,541,527 times
Quote:
This is what people miss and wonder hy so many people love the area.They hang out a Five Point and think "this is it?"They could not be more wrong and I just stop trying to convince people how wrong they are after awhile and just give up trying.
Their loss and I HONESTLY and TRULY believe and feel this way.
Or either it's just the opposite...they stay in a Holiday Inn Express in a far-flung suburb and think "this is it?".

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 05-17-2015 at 10:14 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Or either it's just the opposite...they stay is a Holiday Inn Express in a far-flung suburb and think "this is it?".

Old 05-18-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
If you saw blacks there they more likely were of African descent.
I saw quite a few Black Americans in and around Gwinett Village along Jimmy Carter BLVD.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:26 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,717,281 times
Quote:
My fault.I misunderstood your point initially.Ok I get what you are saying.
However you know that was not my point and it has no bearing on my initial point.

Fact is I'm glad Miami is Miami as it os today because it is unique in a sense and its nice to have a somewhat exotic olace within our country to be able to get tp.However I think living there for many born Americans,its an intimidating place to be and can be uncomfortable for those who do not speak Spanish.
I hear you.

Look, I'm not from the United States but I think it is absolutely necessary for people to learn English. Not only will it help them connect with their new country and culture better but it will open up possibilities and opportunities for them that they otherwise wouldn't be able to take advantage of without learning English.

However it is difficult to learn new languages when you get older and I certainly don't fault people if they cant learn it effectively, it is what it is and there is no use in faulting someone that at least tries.

That being said, I enjoy Miami for its differences with everywhere else. It is why I am here and not anywhere else (including New York). I wanted to live in the United States of America without living in a place that reminds me every second that I am living in the United States of America. Obviously this is where I am happy and millions of others as well.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I hear you.

Look, I'm not from the United States but I think it is absolutely necessary for people to learn English. Not only will it help them connect with their new country and culture better but it will open up possibilities and opportunities for them that they otherwise wouldn't be able to take advantage of without learning English.

However it is difficult to learn new languages when you get older and I certainly don't fault people if they cant learn it effectively, it is what it is and there is no use in faulting someone that at least tries.

That being said, I enjoy Miami for its differences with everywhere else. It is why I am here and not anywhere else (including New York). I wanted to live in the United States of America without living in a place that reminds me every second that I am living in the United States of America. Obviously this is where I am happy and millions of others as well.
I dont fault anyone for living and enjoying where they want.Its a big country and ever place has its own vibe.
Miami has its appeal and I totally get why some people love it.

I have a family history that dates back to Florida early times and its not a good history how blacks have been treated in the early days.So some of my dislike is from that.I don't think its a bad place at all but hardly any place that I want to be other than a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or