Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 03:43 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,785,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I lived in corporate apartments off Buckhead.
Oh so you visited for an extended time not lived but you think you know enough to make false generalizations.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I travel to Tokyo all the time, and I can tell you that Atlanta is not on any radar there. Neither is Miami (for business etc) in Tokyo, but then again I never claimed Miami was globally connected to Asia.
You said Miami is "globally connected".Oh so you dont think Asia or Africa are apart of the global community?

Old 05-21-2015, 03:57 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,917,960 times
Quote:
I travel to Tokyo all the time, and I can tell you that Atlanta is not on any radar there. Neither is Miami (for business etc) in Tokyo, but then again I never claimed Miami was globally connected to Asia.
Wrong again.

The over 500 Japanese-affiliated companies doing business here and the Consulate General of Japan say otherwise. The Consulate has been here since 1974.

Consulate-General of Japan in Atlanta

Old 05-21-2015, 05:52 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,202 times
Atlanta is a strange situation when discussing global connectivity. Every other major international destination has dozens of foreign airlines while Atlanta has but a few. The destinations out of Atlanta have a lot more to do with Delta's route network than the demand in and out of Atlanta.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Atlanta is a strange situation when discussing global connectivity. Every other major international destination has dozens of foreign airlines while Atlanta has but a few. The destinations out of Atlanta have a lot more to do with Delta's route network than the demand in and out of Atlanta.
Not true.
Korean Air,Lufthansa,Air Canada,Air France,British Airways,KLM are others that operate also

Miami has about the same except some of the Caribbean airllnes not a significant difference at all

Old 05-22-2015, 07:11 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,985,810 times
Quote:
I lived in corporate apartments off Buckhead.
What does "off Buckhead" mean?

Old 05-22-2015, 08:02 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You said Miami is "globally connected".Oh so you dont think Asia or Africa are apart of the global community?
I'm telling you Atlanta is not globally connected to Asia or Africa. But this is City Data, full of homers with weird delusions, so go ahead and say it is. Say the ski is pink and it rains coca cola in Atlanta as well, I don't really care.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:37 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Not true.
Korean Air,Lufthansa,Air Canada,Air France,British Airways,KLM are others that operate also

Miami has about the same except some of the Caribbean airllnes not a significant difference at all
The vast majority of Atlanta's international network relies on Delta's megahub. Korean is part of Skyteam, Air France is part of Skyteam, so is KLM. I am not saying Atlanta would not have flights around the world if there was no huge hub, it would still be connected to Europe, a few spots in Latin America/Caribbean and maybe a flight or two to Asia.

But saying Miami "has about the same except for some Caribbean airlines" is just factually wrong. You missed some Atlanta airlines too like Qatar and Virgin Atlantic. Atlanta has 8 international airlines flying in. Miami has 56 And its not like Miami does not have a fortress hub also. American's hub in Miami is not as large as Delta in Atlanta, but American's hub in Miami is the largest hub of any U.S. airline in terms of international traffic. Yet all the local airlines still flock to the area too, even with American having over 50% of the market share.

European Airlines at Miami and Ft. Lauderdale (Miami is a two airport town):

Aerofolt (Russia)
Transaero(Russia)
SWISS
Air France
British Airways
Virgin Atlantic
Lufthansa
TAP (Portugal)
Iberia
Air Berlin
Aer Europa
Arkefly (Netherlands)
Austrian
Finair
Jetair (Belgium)
Thomas Cook (UK)
Turkish
XL Airways (France)
Alitalia
Condor (Germany at FLL)
Norwegian Airlines (at FLL)
Qatar Airways (Not Europe but the only other non North American/Caribbean/Latin American Airline)

Thats more than just a few.

As for a few "some Caribbean arilines" its all of Latin America with most demand going to South America on airlines like TAM and LAN, and there are 28 of those flying into Miami/FLL. Even with Delta's megahub the international passenger statistics don't compare. Miami is #2 in the U.S. after JFK in international passengers.

As for this global discussion, I understand the "pro-Miami" poster's point. Atlanta is certainly a global city, with global reach and home to big companies, the largest airport in the world etc.. But Atlanta does not have the impact Miami does on one region of the world. Miami has a cultural, economic, and political impact on almost all of Latin America and the Caribbean. Atlanta can't say that about any region in the world. Also Miami is more connected both in culture, demographics, tourism and business to Europe than Atlanta is and the amount of air travel between Miami and Europe shows it.

Last edited by FlyMIA; 05-22-2015 at 08:46 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 08:53 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
As for this global discussion, I understand the "pro-Miami" poster's point. Atlanta is certainly a global city, with global reach and home to big companies, the largest airport in the world etc.. But Atlanta does not have the impact Miami does on one region of the world. Miami has a cultural, economic, and political impact on almost all of Latin America and the Caribbean. Atlanta can't say that about any region in the world. Also Miami is more connected both in culture, demographics, tourism and business to Europe than Atlanta is and the amount of air travel between Miami and Europe shows it.
In Miami Beach all (or almost all) my neighbors are European, and European companies buy property, renovate them, and sell them to European buyers, who then split their time between their country (Russia, Italy, and Spain being the hot 3) and Miami Beach. There are deals for Miami Beach property that American's wouldn't know about as they're only advertised in Europe. That's a big difference between Miami and Atlanta, not to mention our tourism from Europe.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I'm telling you Atlanta is not globally connected to Asia or Africa. But this is City Data, full of homers with weird delusions, so go ahead and say it is. Say the ski is pink and it rains coca cola in Atlanta as well, I don't really care.
Yes its a forum.People expect you to back your clams other than"i'm telling you".Someone ask you to define what you meant by globally connected.You have not yet.Several people have asked you how so?You still have not answered other than "I'M TELLING YOU"!
So when you say something of substance we can accept it but so far you are sounding like a child with no reasoning skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.