U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:45 AM

5,151 posts, read 3,439,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
In Miami Beach all (or almost all) my neighbors are European, and European companies buy property, renovate them, and sell them to European buyers, who then split their time between their country (Russia, Italy, and Spain being the hot 3) and Miami Beach. There are deals for Miami Beach property that American's wouldn't know about as they're only advertised in Europe. That's a big difference between Miami and Atlanta, not to mention our tourism from Europe.
What a cute story.

Metro GDP

Atlanta - $307.2 billion

Miami - $281 billion

Guess all of that 'international connectivity' doesn't really mean much at the end of the day.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:03 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,247,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
The vast majority of Atlanta's international network relies on Delta's megahub. Korean is part of Skyteam, Air France is part of Skyteam, so is KLM. I am not saying Atlanta would not have flights around the world if there was no huge hub, it would still be connected to Europe, a few spots in Latin America/Caribbean and maybe a flight or two to Asia.

But saying Miami "has about the same except for some Caribbean airlines" is just factually wrong. You missed some Atlanta airlines too like Qatar and Virgin Atlantic. Atlanta has 8 international airlines flying in. Miami has 56 And its not like Miami does not have a fortress hub also. American's hub in Miami is not as large as Delta in Atlanta, but American's hub in Miami is the largest hub of any U.S. airline in terms of international traffic. Yet all the local airlines still flock to the area too, even with American having over 50% of the market share.

European Airlines at Miami and Ft. Lauderdale (Miami is a two airport town):

Aerofolt (Russia)
Transaero(Russia)
SWISS
Air France
British Airways
Virgin Atlantic
Lufthansa
TAP (Portugal)
Iberia
Air Berlin
Aer Europa
Arkefly (Netherlands)
Austrian
Finair
Jetair (Belgium)
Thomas Cook (UK)
Turkish
XL Airways (France)
Alitalia
Condor (Germany at FLL)
Norwegian Airlines (at FLL)
Qatar Airways (Not Europe but the only other non North American/Caribbean/Latin American Airline)

Thats more than just a few.

As for a few "some Caribbean arilines" its all of Latin America with most demand going to South America on airlines like TAM and LAN, and there are 28 of those flying into Miami/FLL. Even with Delta's megahub the international passenger statistics don't compare. Miami is #2 in the U.S. after JFK in international passengers.

As for this global discussion, I understand the "pro-Miami" poster's point. Atlanta is certainly a global city, with global reach and home to big companies, the largest airport in the world etc.. But Atlanta does not have the impact Miami does on one region of the world. Miami has a cultural, economic, and political impact on almost all of Latin America and the Caribbean. Atlanta can't say that about any region in the world. Also Miami is more connected both in culture, demographics, tourism and business to Europe than Atlanta is and the amount of air travel between Miami and Europe shows it.
You are connected because of tourism to the world.Atlanta is connected by business.Neither i better,just different.
No one has disputed Miami as a de facto cutural center for Latin America and the Caribbean but Im not sure what thats suppose to mean.So what?
Its ONE AREA OF THE WORLD!

Weak argument.
I already poseted how Atlanta was 14th in the world in International headquarters offer Brussels and Toronto.Is Miami more globally connected than those cities also?

You are out of your mind if you think Miami has more business connections to Europe than Atlanta.Its silly to even go there.Its like me saying Atlanta has more tourism than Miami.Just not correct at all.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:06 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,247,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
In Miami Beach all (or almost all) my neighbors are European, and European companies buy property, renovate them, and sell them to European buyers, who then split their time between their country (Russia, Italy, and Spain being the hot 3) and Miami Beach. There are deals for Miami Beach property that American's wouldn't know about as they're only advertised in Europe. That's a big difference between Miami and Atlanta, not to mention our tourism from Europe.
You live in Miami Beach.Im not surprised at all.This is not indicative of the entire metro of Miami and YOU know it.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:45 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,150,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You are out of your mind if you think Miami has more business connections to Europe than Atlanta.Its silly to even go there.Its like me saying Atlanta has more tourism than Miami.Just not correct at all.
It does though. And by business, business is not just big companies. I work in real estate investment, the majority of our investors both individual and corporate are from Europe. Europe has been bringing money into Miami for years. Look up the banking connections. There is a reason all the major European Airlines bring in their top First Class products to Miami. Tourist don't fly first class, business travelers do.

And that is my point. I am not saying Miami is more globally connect in terms of regions that have decent ties to Miami compared to Atlanta. All I am saying is Miami has an actual impact on a fairly large region of the world outside the U.S. Atlanta can't say the same.

What is "just not correct at all" was your statement about international airlines. Now that was way off. Miami is a big tourism destination, but if you think business does not have a part in it as well, well that's just not right.

Again, I am not saying Atlanta is not well connected globally, and I AGREE Atlanta has more connections to places in different areas like Asia and Africa than Miami does. But Miami has a greater impact on international regions than Atlanta does. That's all I am saying, and you should agree, as you said it yourself, "de facto capital of Latin America".

Old 05-22-2015, 10:49 AM

3,712 posts, read 3,858,441 times
I am not knocking Atlanta here, but there is no way ATL would have the level of service it does without the massive hub Delta operates out of there. Sure there is a good amount of demand, but not enough to fill flights to places like Santiago Chile, Dusseldorf, Johannesburg and Stuggart with mostly O&D traffic. On airlines.net a few years back, someone posted some stats on flights from Atlanta where you had several routes that were filled with over 90% connecting traffic. Delta has even trimmed back some TATL service from ATL over the last few years.

Before anyone flames me, apart from NYC and maybe Los Angeles, no area could support the type of operation Atlanta enjoys without a carrier setting up a fortress hub.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:25 AM

7,899 posts, read 12,126,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I am not knocking Atlanta here, but there is no way ATL would have the level of service it does without the massive hub Delta operates out of there. Sure there is a good amount of demand, but not enough to fill flights to places like Santiago Chile, Dusseldorf, Johannesburg and Stuggart with mostly O&D traffic. On airlines.net a few years back, someone posted some stats on flights from Atlanta where you had several routes that were filled with over 90% connecting traffic. Delta has even trimmed back some TATL service from ATL over the last few years.

Before anyone flames me, apart from NYC and maybe Los Angeles, no area could support the type of operation Atlanta enjoys without a carrier setting up a fortress hub.
Perhaps, but it does exist and it has paid off handsomely. .

Old 05-22-2015, 11:40 AM

3,712 posts, read 3,858,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Perhaps, but it does exist and it has paid off handsomely. .
It's a huge boon to the residents and businesses to have as many non-stop flights as it does.

It's also interesting that Miami, and really the entire state of Florida, lacks non-stop service to East Asia. Pretty much every major US city has non-stop flights to at least one of the major cities - Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong. Boston, New York, Newark, Washington, D.C., Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Portland and Denver all have non-stop flights.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:16 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,348,651 times
I'd imagine the business ties to Europe from Miami are on par with Atlanta at minimum and I'm being conservative. The number of tier one European carriers serving Miami is substantially more than Atlanta. Legacy foreign carriers don't fly long haul without filling up the front of the plane.

Atlanta's O&D is roughly 27% of the total passenger movements. International O&D is about 1/3 of that 27%. Now that is enough O&D to support the major European trunk routes (London, Frankfurt and Paris) but I highly doubt you would see any other Euro cities served if not for Delta's route network and hub ops.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:45 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,348,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Not true.
Korean Air,Lufthansa,Air Canada,Air France,British Airways,KLM are others that operate also

Miami has about the same except some of the Caribbean airllnes not a significant difference at all
Not a significant difference? I'm no Miami homer/booster but I'll have to admit that outside of New York, Miami has the most European airlines of any U.S. Airport. The number of Euro carriers in Miami is more than the entire amount of foreign airlines in ATL. And I didn't even mention Latin/SA carriers. Atlanta's international service from foreign metal is pathetic for a metro its size

Old 05-22-2015, 01:22 PM

5,151 posts, read 3,439,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Not a significant difference? I'm no Miami homer/booster but I'll have to admit that outside of New York, Miami has the most European airlines of any U.S. Airport. The number of Euro carriers in Miami is more than the entire amount of foreign airlines in ATL. And I didn't even mention Latin/SA carriers. Atlanta's international service from foreign metal is pathetic for a metro its size
It's a fortress SkyTeam hub. What part of that do you not understand? Service is what matters, and it is hardly pathetic at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or