U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2015, 11:00 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,264,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Continue minimalizing Atlanta all you want. It's making you look foolish at this point, and is becoming quite entertaining.

Making me look foolish? I asked you WHY ATL has so few foreign airlines and you come up with a no substance reply that it's a Skyteam Hub. That is complete BS. SEA is a Skyteam hub and has more foreign airlines than you. So I ask you AGAIN why does such a Lubilee connected city as you say have so few for an airlines ?

Old 05-22-2015, 11:00 PM

4,644 posts, read 3,012,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Nah I'm at work. I just like poking fun at you Atlantans. Make the shift go by faster
Enjoy your $3500.00 a month apartment when you get off, as well as the Holiday weekend.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:10 PM

4,644 posts, read 3,012,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Making me look foolish? I asked you WHY ATL has so few foreign airlines and you come up with a no substance reply that it's a Skyteam Hub. That is complete BS. SEA is a Skyteam hub and has more foreign airlines than you. So I ask you AGAIN why does such a Lubilee connected city as you say have so few for an airlines ?
You are obviously in way over your head here.

Delta operates the largest hub on the planet in ATL. No other Airline has anything even remotely similar on this scale. The connectivity is massive, and non SkyTeam carriers would lose money - with the exception of Air Canada, British Airways and Lufthansa. Before Delta bought many of the old Pan Am and Eastern routes, we had many more foreign carriers. Times have changed, but it takes nothing away from our global connectivity.

The fact that this is the busiest Airport on the planet in number of passengers, connected to all corners of the globe stands. No matter how it irks you, deal with it.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:26 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,589,949 times
Quote:
You are obviously in way over your head here.

Delta operates the largest hub on the planet in ATL. No other Airline has anything even remotely similar on this scale. The connectivity is massive, and non SkyTeam carriers would lose money - with the exception of Air Canada, British Airways and Lufthansa. Before Delta bought many of the old Pan Am and Eastern routes, we had many more foreign carriers. Times have changed, but it takes nothing away from our global connectivity.

The fact that this is the busiest Airport on the planet in number of passengers, connected to all corners of the globe stands. No matter how it irks you, deal with it.
This is pretty much right. Delta cannibalizes a lot of airlines that would generally do well. Delta is the biggest airline in the world and it's hub is located here.

I mean, look at foreign embassies and that tells you how international cities are.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:12 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,858,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
This is pretty much right. Delta cannibalizes a lot of airlines that would generally do well. Delta is the biggest airline in the world and it's hub is located here.

I mean, look at foreign embassies and that tells you how international cities are.
EXACTLY!!End of discussion.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:30 AM

4,807 posts, read 2,209,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The Overtown riots, were pretty bad. This is true.
The Overtown & Liberty City riots happened in May of 1980 or over 35 years ago and I was a teen so I remember this well!
Four white cops shot at Arthur McDuffie who was a Un armed black Insurance salesman fleeing the Miami Police on his motorcycle! They moved the trial to Tampa where they were all acquitted! Shades of Baltimore or Ferguson or Rodney King in LA today?
Stop shooting "Un Armed" black men.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:52 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,264,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
LMAO!!! I don't know why I'm spending my time trying to convince Lilo and Stitch here the workings of the international airline industry. But I will break it down for you in layman's terms.

Mentioning how foreign airlines have difficulty competing against Delta in Atlanta is a Delta fanboy's response. Now that does hold some weight on the US side vs domestic carriers, but that reasoning carries no weight against foreign carriers and at overseas destinations especially at non Skyteam hub destinations.

If a foreign flag carrier generates enough traffic from it's home country and international network to fill a plane to Atlanta it doesn't matter how significant Delta's presence is in Atlanta because the bulk of the foreign carriers passengers would have Atlanta as a final destination and wouldn't have to compete against Delta for domestic destination connections from Atlanta.

O&D is a true barometer of measuring global connectivity/relations with foreign countries and Atlanta is at the bottom of the barrel compared to it's other US peer cities. This is a FACT. Less than 10% of Atlanta O&D fills those International flights. That is putrid.

Since Atlanta isn't on many foreign countries top lists to visit compared to it's other US peer cities, it doesn't have a large variety of foreign airlines because the demand from overseas isn't enough to fill planes to Atlanta, BUT there is enough demand from Delta's US domestic Network to fill planes to those overseas destinations.

Domestic Network means a large percentage of US cities Delta serves nonstop from Atlanta. Oh and yes Atlanta itself does fill a percentage of those flights (albeit small).

As I said, Charlotte with a metro of 2.5 million had many destinations in Europe, Caribbean, Central and South America served nonstop because US Airways routed every possible flight in it's network through Charlotte for connecting. Over 90% of foreign travelers never stepped foot in the city of Charlotte but for some reason since the airline decides to make a specific airport the jumping off location for outbound trans Ocean flights it automatically makes that city a major player in the global arena?

Get out of here with that garbage your spewing.

I'm done with you two homers. BYE!

Old 05-23-2015, 04:29 AM

20,111 posts, read 21,729,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
If that's the end of the discussion, then doesn't Miami's 35 diplomatic missions mean it's more international than Atlanta's 26 diplomatic missions? Obviously, Mexico City has this metric way over either of the two.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:05 AM

12,765 posts, read 12,744,983 times
Quote:
As the known haters pile on...

The amount of vitriol directed towards this place never ceases to amaze me.
I don't hate Atlanta, I just don't think it's the best of the 3. It does seem to have some rabid boosters who can't handle it not being considered #1, though, and that was really the point of my joke.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:06 AM

12,765 posts, read 12,744,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
So... Changing gears... I actually have seriously thought about attempting to work abroad in Mexico City for 6-12 months. Figured it would be a valuable experience. Tell me why I should do it? I know (or at least think I know) that Mexico City has awesome natural beauty, some great walkable historic neighborhoods and food, good parks system and culture close at hand.

What I was wondering though was, how is it in terms of safety? That would be my big concern that would prevent me from doing it (and of course the whole thing of actually finding a job at a university there). Obviously, I hear about safety concerns throughout Mexico City, but I'm thinking there are significant chunks of the central city and outlying suburbs that feel more American/European in nature than anywhere else in the country (or in Latin America for that matter, with the possible exception of Buenos Aires and Santiago). Would it be relatively nice to do so? And just how bad is the air there?
Send me a private message with any questions. I'll be more than happy to give you information. I have been living here for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or