U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 11:27 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,882,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I recognize there are a lot of poor people in Mexico. This is truly breaking news. Why are there so many in Atlanta? Or any of those cities for that matter?

I just don't get your criticism of poverty elsewhere when it's clearly a problem where you live. At least harp on a problem your city doesn't share.
You really dont understand or dont want to understand?

Let me help you.
If it were ONLY a high povety rate it would be one thing but Atlanta is not much different than other cities inthe U.S.Now if you wsh to make this a U.S. thing then fine.Its STILL less than half of what it is for DF.

Atlanta has a 24%poverty rate
Mexico City over 45%Homeless rate is one of the worlds worst.In fact in the top 20

Atlanta does not even make the top 20 in the U.S homeless rate.
Mexico City child homeless rate is reported as lowest at 15,000.You see children in the streets.Do you see that kind of poverty in Atlanta?NO.

You can be upset all you want but its the truth and all you can do is say its untrue but cant list one single article that says the DF does not have chronic homelessness AND poverty.A big difference when you are discussing poverty in a city.Poverty is one thing,homelessness is 10x worst

Also the incomes are MUCH greater in Atlanta or Miami for that matter.I know its convenient for you to only focus on poverty rate as that is the really only thing you can try to use but even that is a weak argument.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
accurate
So untrue but go ahead as you insist.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:14 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,863,256 times
Miami, no doubt.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:21 AM

4,647 posts, read 3,030,450 times
Many people from NOLA resent Atlanta for 'stealing their importance' and being an upstart decades ago, when in reality Houston did.

Yet, they have a strong kinship with Houston. I'm sure closeness is a factor, and it's definitely an interesting dynamic.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:45 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,216,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Many people from NOLA resent Atlanta for 'stealing their importance' and being an upstart decades ago, when in reality Houston did.

Yet, they have a strong kinship with Houston. I'm sure closeness is a factor, and it's definitely an interesting dynamic.
I don't resent Atlanta. I've no reason to. I just agreed with a statement about Atlanta posters in this forum. The statement I find to be quite accurate...and its being proven

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 05-13-2015 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-13-2015, 08:57 AM

12,793 posts, read 12,781,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You really dont understand or dont want to understand?

Let me help you.
If it were ONLY a high povety rate it would be one thing but Atlanta is not much different than other cities inthe U.S.Now if you wsh to make this a U.S. thing then fine.Its STILL less than half of what it is for DF.

Atlanta has a 24%poverty rate
Mexico City over 45%Homeless rate is one of the worlds worst.In fact in the top 20

Atlanta does not even make the top 20 in the U.S homeless rate.
Mexico City child homeless rate is reported as lowest at 15,000.You see children in the streets.Do you see that kind of poverty in Atlanta?NO.

You can be upset all you want but its the truth and all you can do is say its untrue but cant list one single article that says the DF does not have chronic homelessness AND poverty.A big difference when you are discussing poverty in a city.Poverty is one thing,homelessness is 10x worst

Also the incomes are MUCH greater in Atlanta or Miami for that matter.I know its convenient for you to only focus on poverty rate as that is the really only thing you can try to use but even that is a weak argument.
You seem to be confusing homelessness with being poor. They're not the same. Mexico City does not have a 45% homelessness rate. Your own top 20 link said 15K-30K. In a city of almost 9 million, that would be a rate of up to 0.32%. Any homelessness is bad, but math is your friend.

How many homeless live in Atlanta?

You brought up poverty. I'm just saying you're throwing stones from the glass house.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:29 AM

7,800 posts, read 11,751,032 times
Quote:
I am not rich/upper middle class and I live pretty great. I really don't know what you're talking about.
By your signature I'm guessing you are an expat. Yeah, the same rules don't apply to American expats at any income level. I used to live in the 3rd world for several years on a very modest income by American standards...and I might as well have been a rockstar. The COL differences alone make for a very easy life, but even the free perks that come along with being an American expat are priceless. If you don't have the ability to self-reflect on why it is you have a good life down there, I can't help with that.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
You seem to be confusing homelessness with being poor. They're not the same. Mexico City does not have a 45% homelessness rate. Your own top 20 link said 15K-30K. In a city of almost 9 million, that would be a rate of up to 0.32%. Any homelessness is bad, but math is your friend.

How many homeless live in Atlanta?

You brought up poverty. I'm just saying you're throwing stones from the glass house.
That was a run on sentence.I said earlier the poverty rate was 40% and it had an extremely high homeless population.Particularly street children which apparently are highly visible.

Some articles say over 1 million homeless children like this article.
Quote:
At least 1 million homeless children live in Mexico City, often raising each other on the streets. Mexico City is the largest city in the Americas—15 million people accounted for, and probably many more.
“Most of the people who live in this area are not originally from Mexico City,” Martinez said. “They don’t have steady salaries, and sometimes they have to go away to find work, and they leave their kids alone and with no food.” Some women trek 30 minutes for the free meal with babies tied around their backs in pieces of cloth and other children walking by their side. Some children go alone.
https://www.baptiststandard.com/reso...eeds-in-mexico

As it has already been said:Mexico has no concrete stats but it widely know worldwide that it is a major problem no matter how much you wish to hide it.
I have never been to Rio De Jinero but it too has worse problems than Mexico City but I want to there because of the culture and history but aint no way in hell I would EVER want to live there.

You can bring up Atlanta all you want.truth is it is far from a perfect city but Atlanta is not vastly different from many cities in America and to be poor in America is not being as poor in Mexico and you know it or if you dont then you need a reality check.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:05 PM

10,297 posts, read 12,436,382 times
Easily Mexico City.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:32 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,763,315 times
Oh, please. The people posting facts about homelessness and poverty are clueless. If someone actually had the OPTION to live in any one of these cities, with actual job prospects, they can probably choose to live in a decent neighborhood. LA, NYC, San Francisco all have huge homeless problems that are only escalating due to stagnant wages, a dwindling middle class and skyrocketing mortgages and rents. So, what...if I said I was moving to SF people would assume I would become a homeless man in the Tenderloin? If I moved to LA would I be forced to live in Skid Row?

The same goes for Mexico City...which has many, many incredibly gorgeous neighborhoods with such history and character that Atlanta and Miami could only dream of. I would gladly choose live in La Condesa or Roma Norte over Miami Beach any day, and twice on Sundays. Not to mention the art and culture of the city. Not that Miami or Atlanta are lacking, but they don't have the depth of Mexico city in cultural amenities that only certain places in the world can match, such as Paris and Istanbul.

I really like the neighborhood profiles that AirBnB has for different cities. Here are some of Mexico City's:

https://www.airbnb.com/locations/mexico-city/condesa

https://www.airbnb.com/locations/mexico-city/roma-norte

https://www.airbnb.com/locations/mexico-city/hipodromo

I understand my preference in neighborhoods is highly subjective, but so is everyone's so far.

Here is Miami and its nabes: https://www.airbnb.com/locations/miami

Unfortunately Atlanta isn't really one of AirBnB's top destinations so there aren't any sleek neighborhood profiles to browse through. If anyone has any blogs that have picture guides of some of your favorite Atlanta nabes, it would be sweet to share it to both highlight the best of Atlanta and to compare to Miami and Mexico City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or