U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 07:39 PM

3,442 posts, read 2,816,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
That is simply not true.It may not be Vancouver or Seattle but Atlanta has the largest and visible Korean,South Asian and Vietnamese communities in the Southeast.

I live in city with a Vietnamese mayor.20% of its residents are Vietnamese.
Tell me of a community in Miami where there is a visible Asian community?
Not just a couple of token resturants.
If you're talking about Morrow, the mayor's white, but the mayor pro-tem is Vietnamese.

Morrow’s new council members set state, city history | Clayton News Daily

Also, Atlanta has more of a mix of cultures than Miami. Miami is mostly Latin American, while Atlanta is a mix of Black, Hispanic, Asian, and southern culture.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:44 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times
Definitely cool how your suburban cities around Atlanta have Vietnamese mayors though and those pictures of the BAPS Mandir are nice. I have been to three BAPS Mandirs before here in North America (my family is Hindu; I am Atheist - that is why), they are all the same; built of marble, architecturally sound to Hindu faith, all have several floors, the ones in warmer climate cities have openings, and all of them have greenspace and shops where you can buy specific kinds of food. If you wear shorts, they hand you those Indian garbs that you have to wear and all that other jazz. Yes, Diwali can be fun (the Festival of Lights) the first time around, I guess. Glad you get to enjoy these things, doesn't make Atlanta any more different than other large North American cities (like I said, I have been to at least 3 BAPS mandirs already that aren't in Atlanta; all were similarly designed), but good to see people mixing to other cultures in Atlanta.

I went to the first one created in ALL of North America for the record, built years before the Atlanta one was created.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 05-28-2015 at 07:56 PM..

Old 05-28-2015, 09:03 PM

14,005 posts, read 21,953,057 times
You'll find a couple of Asian themed plazas throughout Broward County. Broward is about 4% Asian out of 1.8million people. There are also HUGE Islamic centers in Broward, Southern Palm Beach, and Northern Miami-Dade(Miami Gardens).

Old 05-28-2015, 09:12 PM

14,005 posts, read 21,953,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
If you're talking about Morrow, the mayor's white, but the mayor pro-tem is Vietnamese.

Also, Atlanta has more of a mix of cultures than Miami. Miami is mostly Latin American, while Atlanta is a mix of Black, Hispanic, Asian, and southern culture.
There are over 1million Black people living in South Florida. Some of which are Southern Black American, some of which are West Indian. Then there are over 1million non-Hispanic White people in South Florida. Some of which are regular American White, and some of which are ethnic Whites(Russians, Jews, Finnish, White-Canadians, Israelis, Brits). Then amongst the West Indian population, you have sub-groups, like Indo-Caribbean West Indians. Most of which, have Indian last names like Patel. There's a reason why Lauderhill(A suburb of Fort Lauderdale) has the largest Cricket Stadium in the US. I don't think you can narrow SoFla down to just Latin-Americans.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:22 PM

5,783 posts, read 6,335,815 times
I thought I wouldn't be back to commenting here but I got sucked in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I also know from my short stay in Atlanta that your asian places are neither numerous or very good. At least in the city core.
It's not even close. Much better Asian restaurants, particularly Korean and Chinese, than Miami. Gotta leave the Atlanta core though, which is the struggle.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:30 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Yeah, except I never did that to begin with. I made a post that didn't quote anyone, you quoted me inserting a new ranking that I was not even talking about with A.T. Kearney, so I included it and pointed out how whatever you were arguing backfired since NEITHER of our cities actually made their list this year when they cut it from 60 cities to just 25 cities worldwide.

Not really the case with A.T. Kearney. I don't think so.

Page 4, has all the previous year rankings too: https://www.atkearney.com/documents/...6-4c8eaf984cd5

Miami:
2008: 32nd
2010: 34th
2012: 36th
2014: 29th
2015: NOT ON IT

Atlanta:
2008: 37th
2010: 40th
2012: 39th
2014: 36th
2015: NOT ON IT

Kind of.

Washington D.C. as far as United States cities go has a lock on Africa on a pound-for-pound basis. It actually gets more African immigrants than anywhere else in the country by a significant margin (technically the same number as New York but that place is multiple times larger; so less impressive). Washington D.C. outpaces nearly every American city on key African countries. San Francisco IS United States' premier gateway to Oceania. It receives the largest number of immigrants from that region of the world of all American cities (including New York) and it makes for a substantial market for overseas tourism to the countries of Australia and New Zealand. This is reflected in the frequency of air routes, flight times, and O&D traffic between them and Oceania.

Oh, one more thing, Washington D.C. MSA is also just 6 million people but its population from Africa is like 180,000. Now that is impressive and it obviously crosses the 100,000+ threshold (six figures).

American FactFinder

Atlanta, unlike any of those cities (and some that you didn't name) or Miami, has none of that going on. Its largest immigrant community are Mexican people and it doesn't even have a top 10 Mexican population in the United States by either raw numbers or especially percentages.

Atlanta's Korean population is 48,766 and it hasn't even surpassed 100,000 people yet. It's combined South Asian population, or even just Indian alone isn't even the largest in the entire region of the South (though it is in the Southeast subregion) and hasn't even surpassed 100,000 people yet. You get the idea.

Atlanta is cosmopolitan, but significantly less than Miami, or Washington D.C., or San Francisco Bay Area among places you mentioned. The only place Atlanta is more foreign born than among 5+ million places are Philadelphia and Detroit and honestly, those two aren't much to talk about in regards to cosmopolitanism to begin with.

You can view the immigration trends and numbers here by the Department of Homeland Security of the United States' Government.

I also disagree with your assertion about New York not being region specific. It might not be region specific but it is country specific. It has the largest Russian population on planet Earth for any city outside of Russia or the former U.S.S.R. federation countries in Eastern Europe (basically any country ending in -ia). It has the largest Jewish population of any city on Earth outside of Tel-Aviv. It has the largest Italian population on Earth for any city outside of Italy. It has the largest Irish population on Earth for any city outside of Ireland/United Kingdom. It has the largest Bangladeshi population of any city on planet Earth outside of South Asia. So on.
Thats not ONE region so what are you talking about?

Actually you "forgot" to mention the FDI Global Cities list I posted where Atlanta was ranked overall and Miami was not.
Then I also posted fom Site Selection bt of course you seem to pick the studys that back your claims over anything else.

So your Gawc that has been discussed ad naseum on CD about how flawed it is and YOU are the only one on CD that thinks its the best indicator I have heard.
In 2008 the same GaWC you hold in such high regard had Atlanta ranked as a Beta+ while Miami was Beta- after Dallas and Atlanta.

Now it seems all of a sudden its more accurate than it was in 2008?

Miami was not even MENTIONED in the outlook but you ignored that Atlanta was ranked in the outlook even though it was not ranked in the actual cities listSeems Miami is not what you thought it was either.

I can spot BS a mile away.I think its so interesting that all you talk about is stats and how "insignificant" how small the Asian population is but you have YET to post anything regarding where the concentration of different Asian and African groups live.

I have posted several pictures of places and links of those places in Atlanta but you and your Miami posters keep ignoring it as if I have not asked several times.Its obvious now that you know you cant and look foolish trying to deny it but go ahead again and talk about how insignificant the Asian population is in Atlanta.

As I said before,Atlanta has one of the nations fastest growing Hispanic,Asian,(particulary Korean is the fastest in the nation),and African populations in America.Miami's according to the article I posted earlier regarding Miami's inability to attract Asians.Again its well over 80%-!00% in all categories.

The national rate of 46% for Asians growth is half of that in Miami and less than the average for the state of Florida.
This is true because the net migration of people moving into Atlanta is greater than Miami.
Look at Dekalb and Fulton counties net mgration then look at Miami Dade.Its astounding how many people are moving in these two smaller counties that make up Atlanta than Miami Dade.
US County Migration Patterns

Out of the 50 Universities in the U.S. with the largest student population,Miami has not one school but Georgia Tech in Atlanta is on there.

Anyway I know its hard to admit you cant show anything I ask for expect repeating how insignificant Atlanta's nearly more than double Asian population is to Miami where you cant even give me ONE community in the entire metro of Miami where Asians are visible.NOT ONE.Or even a small Chinatown or something.Oh well...

Miami is cosmopolitan where are the visible Asians or Africans?WHERE?????

Old 05-28-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Definitely cool how your suburban cities around Atlanta have Vietnamese mayors though and those pictures of the BAPS Mandir are nice. I have been to three BAPS Mandirs before here in North America (my family is Hindu; I am Atheist - that is why), they are all the same; built of marble, architecturally sound to Hindu faith, all have several floors, the ones in warmer climate cities have openings, and all of them have greenspace and shops where you can buy specific kinds of food. If you wear shorts, they hand you those Indian garbs that you have to wear and all that other jazz. Yes, Diwali can be fun (the Festival of Lights) the first time around, I guess. Glad you get to enjoy these things, doesn't make Atlanta any more different than other large North American cities (like I said, I have been to at least 3 BAPS mandirs already that aren't in Atlanta; all were similarly designed), but good to see people mixing to other cultures in Atlanta.

I went to the first one created in ALL of North America for the record, built years before the Atlanta one was created.
You seem o be thinking Im making Atlanta the most diverse place in the U.S.I am not but I am making the case whyI feel Miami is not what people say is.
We are no discussing but only these three cities and at this moment two of them so bringing up other cities is pointless and irrelevant other than you using them as excuses.

Sure Atlanta is newer as its Hindu population is relatively new but it does have one of the largest(on the lower end)populations in the country.Miami is at the bottom.

Funny how you cant say where you went to any of those temples.I gues they were not in Miami.
Sure these olaces are in the metro and not in the city but Miami Beach isnot Miami either but almost everybody who goes to Miami Beach think they were actually in Miami so its realy irrelevant beacuse these areas are fluid in each region.People get around.In Atlanta's case you can catch a subway train an go to some of these places which you cant do in Miami.

You minimizing the cultural impact of having multiple venues for those of us who enjoy others cultures is really you unwilling to admit that Miami falls way short in this area.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post

Yes that is my point I have been arguing with these Miami boosters for several pages.They act like even though Atlanta's has a reletively small Asian ppoppulation,it the same as Miami whicah has nothing like Morrow or any other Asian community in Miami.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:13 PM

4,642 posts, read 3,012,162 times
I'm convinced there must be something very odd in South Florida's water supply at this point.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I'm convinced there must be something very odd in South Florida's water supply at this point.
Yeh apparently it causes selective memory disease
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or