U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2015, 01:28 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,481,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
What happened to Miami in this poll?I guess people don't want all that "internationalism".lol
Atlanta wins a CD poll, Miami wins the "real life" poll.

Problem here is that Miami was pigeon-holed between being an American city and being an exotic city, international Metropolis. Mexico City will always win the latter, and it gets the added benefit of being a megapolis which appeals to posters on CD. Atlanta has the benefit of being a boring, traditional American city. Miami is in the middle.

But we both know which city people prefer more IRL, look at tourism, look at the size of our urban areas, or where the rich park their money.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:34 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,863,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
It's definitely true, everytime I was pulled over the police asked me "English, Spanish, or French". They have to learn these languages in academy.

I'm sorry that Atlanta doesn't have the foreigners to necessitate something like that in their police.
And NYC,Boston?D.C.?LOLAnd you are not correct anyway,There is bo language reqiurement only than English.They might pay extra for those that do but many departments do that.It NOT a requirement.

Ummm...how many times have you been pulled over?Are you a criminal?lol

Old 05-29-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
And NYC,Boston?D.C.?LOLAnd you are not correct anyway,There is bo language reqiurement only than English.They might pay extra for those that do but many departments do that.It NOT a requirement.
Please stop talking about things you don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
Ummm...how many times have you been pulled over?Are you a criminal?lol
Speeding, usually. Lucky for me I have a pre-paid legal service plan so I never got any points. But i probably spend a good deal a month giving police nice paychecks. Oh well, money is money. Easy come, easy go.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:46 PM

20,128 posts, read 21,745,742 times
Quote:
You Miami posters have a warped sense of reality.In most of American cities except Miami or NYC,the black population is American born by far.This is a fact.

It is not the norm in any city in America EXCEPT Miami for ANY police force to be bilingual.Not even NYC so again what is the point?Is Miami now more diverse than NYC?D.C.?NO.Its not.Atlanta is no different than any of those American cities.

Most European cities are not as diverse as American cities.

Atlanta aint the most diverse city like say D.C. which is a really example of a diverse city.European,Asians,Africans,Hisanics and perfectly ingrained in the communities.

You cant even get good authentic Asian or African food in Miami.To find it is harder as they are very few and in between.

Your ignorance about Atlanta is astounding.I can actually point you to Hispanic neighborhoods can you do that in Miami for Asians?Hardly insignificant if you can find communities where these people live and work.

Whats pathetic is that you cant post no ONE picture of anything like the Asian community because you dont have it!!LOL.Thats why you keep trying to downplay it.Keep trying in vain.You should ravel around the U.S. more because your remarks make you sound clueless about AMERICA.
Yea, it's not the norm for the black population in other US cities, that's part of what makes Miami so diverse. It's just another factor among many. There's nothing particularly warped about that.

The Asian communities in both places aren't that far off in size and are pretty small so their differences aren't really that significant. The differences in terms of all the far larger population groups of both cities as defined by the US census is far, far larger. That's pretty much it and it seems silly that you're harping so much on something so small.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Atlanta wins a CD poll, Miami wins the "real life" poll.

Problem here is that Miami was pigeon-holed between being an American city and being an exotic city, international Metropolis. Mexico City will always win the latter, and it gets the added benefit of being a megapolis which appeals to posters on CD. Atlanta has the benefit of being a boring, traditional American city. Miami is in the middle.

But we both know which city people prefer more IRL, look at tourism, look at the size of our urban areas, or where the rich park their money.
Oh my.Someones got there panties in a wad.
I'm sorry America bores you such.

Real life?How old are you?This IS real life.Look at your poverty rate,educational attainment,per capita and median household income.THAT is real life and Miami is not winning.You are living in some lala land.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:53 PM

Languages in Miami-Dade county:

Quote:
As of 2010, 63.77% of the population spoke only Spanish at home, 28.07% spoke English, 4.22% French Creole (mainly Haitian Creole,) 0.64% French, and 0.55% spoke Portuguese as their mother language.[30] 52% of the county residents were born outside the United States, while 71.93% of the population spoke a language other than English as their primary language.
Meaning Miami is one of the few cities in the USA where English is not the best means of communication. English is a secondary language here.

Now compare to Fulton County:

Quote:
Out of the total population five years and older, 83.3% spoke only English at home, while 8.8% spoke Spanish, 3.9% another Indo-European language and 2.8% an Asian language.[105]
And Atlanta posters have the gal to say they are more diverse when they are mono-cultural/mono-linguistic city/area?

Old 05-29-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Please stop talking about things you don't know what you're talking about.

Speeding, usually. Lucky for me I have a pre-paid legal service plan so I never got any points. But i probably spend a good deal a month giving police nice paychecks. Oh well, money is money. Easy come, easy go.
Miami is sounding more and more like Mexico City.lol

You are right I dont know but I gave a source you gave your anecdotal evidence.In fact you have not posted one quotable fact from a source yet.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Oh my.Someones got there panties in a wad.
I'm sorry America bores you such.
It does, which is why I live in Miami. What I do, I could do anywhere.

Quote:
Real life?How old are you?This IS real life.Look at your poverty rate,educational attainment,per capita and median household income.THAT is real life and Miami is not winning.You are living in some lala land.
City Data is real life? I guess, in a way. A small microcosm of it. Just try this, go to an overseas country or out of your Atlanta and poll people, where would they rather live: Atlanta, Miami. I bet even in Atlanta most people prefer Miami they just don't know how to make money here, as this is a hard market to crack. So they stick to more traditional jobs: big company -> boss -> 9 to 5.

Funny you say "lala" land, my fiancee says it all the time, it's kind of annoying.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Languages in Miami-Dade county:

Meaning Miami is one of the few cities in the USA where English is not the best means of communication. English is a secondary language here.

Now compare to Fulton County:

And Atlanta posters have the gal to say they are more diverse when they are mono-cultural/mono-linguistic city/area?
You do know this is America right?English is the language that is official.

This is why the domestic migration in Miami is high and why salaries are low in Miami.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
You do know this is America right?English is the language that is official.

This is why the domestic migration in Miami is high and why salaries are low in Miami.
If we lose more plain English speaking Americans and gain Europeans then to me that's a win. My fiancee jokes (she is a real estate investor) that she looks for clients who are Europeans rather than Americans mostly because she also wants to increase the European share here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or