U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 03:16 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,923,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
It does, which is why I live in Miami. What I do, I could do anywhere.

City Data is real life? I guess, in a way. A small microcosm of it. Just try this, go to an overseas country or out of your Atlanta and poll people, where would they rather live: Atlanta, Miami. I bet even in Atlanta most people prefer Miami they just don't know how to make money here, as this is a hard market to crack. So they stick to more traditional jobs: big company -> boss -> 9 to 5.

Funny you say "lala" land, my fiancee says it all the time, it's kind of annoying.
That's why Miami is not on the radar for global companies outside of Latin America.

I have my own buisness and I have lived many places but I chose Atlanta>it aint the best but its pretty good.
Most people of course no Miami well before Atlanta if they had even heard of Atlanta so obviously those would choose but when it comes to domestic net migration Atlanta wins .

Last edited by JMT; 05-30-2015 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: Violation of rules for posting images

Old 05-29-2015, 03:21 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,497,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Miami is one of the top cities for loosing young people:
They are losing young people to "job center cities" not because they don't like Miami but because they have no idea how to make good money here. Living here, requires you to have a real high in demand skill, or be very business savvy. If you are waiting around for a big corporation to give you a "comfy" salary go to Houston, Dallas, Atlanta.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, it's not the norm for the black population in other US cities, that's part of what makes Miami so diverse. It's just another factor among many. There's nothing particularly warped about that.

The Asian communities in both places aren't that far off in size and are pretty small so their differences aren't really that significant. The differences in terms of all the far larger population groups of both cities as defined by the US census is far, far larger. That's pretty much it and it seems silly that you're harping so much on something so small.
Have you even been to Atlanta?Have you been to these areas where you are qualified to make a statement on what is relevant and what is not?
You are so downplaying the Asian population in Atlanta.Yes overall it seems small but there are several areas in the metro that have more than 20% Asian.You cant say that about anywhere in Miami.You are being totally biased.

And why you guys keep leaving out the African population as if its the same as the African American population yet bring up the Hispanic and Caribbean African population in Miami says alot.You are totally biased.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
They are losing young people to "job center cities" not because they don't like Miami but because they have no idea how to make good money here. Living here, requires you to have a real high in demand skill, or be very business savvy. If you are waiting around for a big corporation to give you a "comfy" salary go to Houston, Dallas, Atlanta.
LOL.HAHHAA .Really?All those low paying skill jobs I gues are in high demand in Miami.What making a bed in a hotel is a skill I guess.?
There is only money for those who are already wealthy which judging from your totally ignorant and clueless comments,you are.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:04 PM

6,497 posts, read 7,801,411 times
Quote:
Thats not ONE region so what are you talking about?
Actually after sleeping on it, this morning I realized I just could have said all of Europe for New York. There isn't any American city as tied to Europe as New York. No where even comes remotely close at all. So that would count as a region of the world (a continent), I guess.

San Francisco Bay Area and Oceania. Washington D.C. area and Africa. Honolulu and Asia. Miami and Latin America. So on.
Quote:
So your Gawc that has been discussed ad naseum on CD about how flawed it is and YOU are the only one on CD that thinks its the best indicator I have heard.
In 2008 the same GaWC you hold in such high regard had Atlanta ranked as a Beta+ while Miami was Beta- after Dallas and Atlanta.

Now it seems all of a sudden its more accurate than it was in 2008?
We're talking about this right? http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/images/world2008t.jpg

Just to be clear, NONE of what I am going to say is directed at you but instead directed at the clowns that parade and bandy about with this Alpha-Beta-Gamma strata piece of (expletive).

I have posted a million times by now that I don't like that Alpha-Beta-Gamma GaWC ranking.

The Alpha-Beta-Gamma stratas that were posted ONLY measure how competitively connected cities are to London economically by number of firms. They are NOT a measurement of city power supremacy the way mouth foaming boosters on the Internet want to make it out to be. Don't believe me? See what the guy who made that ranking said himself, he admitted to making a mistake by issuing that ranking that he acknowledges people misuse it:
Quote:
I have personally been caught up in this process through an early research project on how London related economically with other world cities. The latter had to be identified and a ‘roster of cities' was devised by counting numbers of selected firms in a range of cities (Beaverstock et al 1999). The variation in numbers was simplified by dividing cities into strata labelled alpha, beta and gamma. This essentially petty exercise, just a first step in investigating London's external links, has had immense influence: personally it is my most cited article and, with hundreds of citations, it is the most cited article ever published in the journal Cities. I interpret this astonishing success as my ‘alpha-beta-gamma misgiving'.

Why a misgiving? This most successful paper is a very simple taxonomic exercise in which relational thinking is conspicuous by its absence. Hence we have made a major contribution to cities considered as merely separate entities to be ranked and compared. As all my subsequent writings show (deriving from Taylor 2001), such modes of thinking eliminate a crucial part of the complexity of cities and thereby misunderstand them. Hence the alpha-beta-gamma misgiving is just about as large a research embarrassment as can be imagined.

- P.J. Taylor (Sole author of the GaWC Alpha-Beta-Gamma strata rankings)

GaWC Research Bulletin 409
I'm not saying Global Cities (GaWC) doesn't have good rankings, they absolutely do. I use them frequently on their OTHER rankings that actually have detailed methodology and explanations (which I read carefully to make sure I am not posting something meaningless).

That Alpha-Beta-Gamma crap. Cities are cities and not monkeys, there is no such thing as an "Alpha world city" or a "Beta world city" or a "Gamma world city." All that is made up nonsense, an "Alpha world city" according to that ranking is a city that is MOST economically linked to London, nothing more.

I think this is where the Alpha-Beta-Gamma Strata belongs: StopFraud.gov - Report Fraud

[Yes, only kidding but no really it basically is fraud]
Quote:
Miami was not even MENTIONED in the outlook but you ignored that Atlanta was ranked in the outlook even though it was not ranked in the actual cities listSeems Miami is not what you thought it was either.
Well for one thing I already knew it didn't make that ranking, neither did the other two cities in this thread.

Anyhow, I don't really care for discussing rankings anymore as it is - this topic is as boring as watching paint dry on the wall. I'm more in a sports geared mood as it is.

How about we compare all three of these cities (and bring Mexico City back into the fold) on their culinary scenes and sports culture? Miami is an excellent place for individual sports or partner sports like tennis, or cricket, or badminton, or the like.

How do the other two cities stack up?

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 05-29-2015 at 04:48 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 04:25 PM

Who cares afonega how many middle class jobs we have, or how many asians you have. We're still more international and diverse than you are.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:35 PM

20,459 posts, read 22,009,078 times
Quote:
Have you even been to Atlanta?Have you been to these areas where you are qualified to make a statement on what is relevant and what is not?
You are so downplaying the Asian population in Atlanta.Yes overall it seems small but there are several areas in the metro that have more than 20% Asian.You cant say that about anywhere in Miami.You are being totally biased.

And why you guys keep leaving out the African population as if its the same as the African American population yet bring up the Hispanic and Caribbean African population in Miami says alot.You are totally biased.
Have you ever been to a city that actually has a large Asian population? No, seriously, have you? Plus, you're still disregarding the larger point here: the Asian population in both cities is very small compared to all the other ethnic groups. Within those other ethnic groups, Miami is a lot more diverse and international. You're basically harping on something that's obviously foolish. It makes a lot more sense to push the many ways Atlanta is actually doing better in than Miami. Right now, you're kind of just trying to ram through something that's basically and obviously not true.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Have you ever been to a city that actually has a large Asian population? No, seriously, have you? Plus, you're still disregarding the larger point here: the Asian population in both cities is very small compared to all the other ethnic groups. Within those other ethnic groups, Miami is a lot more diverse and international. You're basically harping on something that's obviously foolish. It makes a lot more sense to push the many ways Atlanta is actually doing better in than Miami. Right now, you're kind of just trying to ram through something that's basically and obviously not true.
What's not true?That Atlanta has noteable Asian communities and Miami does not have even one?The Asian population no matter how small is large enough for there to be communities.In Miami there simply is not and it is kILLING you to admit it.

Yes I have been.The only difference is size and depth.With Miami there it is so small there is no size or depth to measure.You know and thats why you are acting like its not.There is no larger point because it exist in Atlanta and in Miami it just does not.THAT IS THE ONLY POINT!

Why is it when you Google Miami and Asians,several articles will appear discussing the low amount of Asians and why.
Google Atlanta and it will go into more detail about where you will find these communities,information on dating, networking etc

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...miami%20asians

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...atlanta+asians

Why is that?How can you say a few communities in the metro where Asians make upwards of 20% are insignificant?Because its BS and you know it but dont want to admit it.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Who cares afonega how many middle class jobs we have, or how many asians you have. We're still more international and diverse than you are.
Like I said:"La La Land".You are the Mayor elect.I can walk next door to my neighbor who from Indian and 3 doors down Vietnamese.How far you gotta go to see something similar?

Old 05-29-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Like I said:"La La Land".You are the Mayor elect.I can walk next door to my neighbor who from Indian and 3 doors down Vietnamese.How far you gotta go to see something similar?
Literally everyone of my neighbors is from a different country (Italy, Russia, France, Polish, Czech Republic, Cuban). By from a different country, I mean born there. 3 of them don't speak English. The rest I don't know.

Bye bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or