U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2015, 11:22 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,805 posts, read 11,768,611 times
Reputation: 5416

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Yeah. I agree, it is especially insignificant because neither city (nor Mexico City) would crack the North American top 10 to begin with (especially when Toronto and Vancouver are included). So it is like what on Earth is there even to be bragging about here?

Asian only population in raw numbers:
01. Los Angeles: 2.3 million
02. New York: 2.1 million
03. San Francisco Bay Area: 1.9 million
04. Chicago: 572,379
05. Washington DC: 558,290 (MSA)
06. Seattle: 488,166
07. Honolulu: 479,480
08. Houston: 452,551
09. Boston: 420,225
10. Dallas/Fort Worth: 401,800
11. San Diego: 346,972
12. Philadelphia: 312,116
13. Sacramento: 281,836
14. Atlanta: 275,502
15. Minneapolis/Saint Paul: 193,959
16. Detroit: 176,194
17. Las Vegas: 168,665
18. Miami/Fort Lauderdale: 141,132
19. Phoenix: 138,688
20. Portland: 135,252
21. Baltimore: 126,886
22. Denver: 111,726
23. Orlando: 99,158
24. Tampa: 82,258
25. Saint Louis: 59,266
26. Cleveland: 56,095

Total Overseas Born Population:
- New York: 5,974,000
- Los Angeles: 5,511,026
- San Francisco Bay Area: 2,226,990
- Miami: 2,166,385
- Chicago: 1,699,371
- Houston: 1,344,448
- Washington: 1,232,826
- Dallas: 1,160,081
- Boston: 1,111,220
- Atlanta: 744,033
- Philadelphia: 629,785

Overseas Born in Northern America:
- Los Angeles: 58,921
- New York: 52,451
- Boston: 36,362
- Miami: 32,575
- San Francisco Bay Area: 31,837
- Houston: 15,136
- Dallas: 14,621
- Chicago: 14,058
- Washington: 11,973
- Atlanta: 10,602
- Philadelphia: 10,032

Overseas Born in Latin America:
- Los Angeles: 3,239,408
- New York: 2,984,526
- Miami: 1,879,281
- Houston: 897,208
- Chicago: 829,267
- Dallas: 746,995
- San Francisco Bay Area: 731,434
- Washington: 501,800
- Boston: 408,154
- Atlanta: 386,982
- Philadelphia: 202,281

Overseas Born in Africa:
- New York: 236,869
- Washington: 171,290
- Boston: 98,939
- Los Angeles: 87,175
- Atlanta: 70,495
- Dallas: 67,099
- Houston: 54,125
- Philadelphia: 49,854
- Chicago: 46,875
- San Francisco Bay Area: 34,864
- Miami: 20,511

Overseas Born in Asia:
- Los Angeles: 1,831,693
- New York: 1,646,941
- San Francisco Bay Area: 1,193,466
- Chicago: 440,667
- Washington: 432,478
- Houston: 316,083
- Boston: 314,190
- Dallas: 271,261
- Philadelphia: 236,943
- Atlanta: 208,366
- Miami: 108,860

Southeast Florida's relationship with South America (or Latin America in general) is something Atlanta has not developed with any part of the world outside of the United States. Arguably the "strength" for Atlanta is in its African population according to its posters but numerically the gap between the two cities there is 48,000 which is a negligible gap, essentially both cities are closer to each other there than they are blowing each other out. Take a look at the massive gulf between Miami and Atlanta on Latin America and overall total overseas people to see the huge difference the two cities have on the world outside of the United States. Now comparatively that is a massive difference and is easy to spot as a massive difference.

Let me get this straight: Your argument (and I assume SPD's argument too) is that Miami has a larger foreign born population, therefore has more of an global connection than Atlanta?

If so, this a very wrong idea to have. While it is true that Miami has a huge foreign born population, let's not forget why that is: Cuban and Haitian refugees that make nearly 1 million of it's foreign born residents. While I'm not downplaying their influence on Miami (which is huge), it's not exactly a international connection, especially in the case of the Cubans who came this country specifically to sever their connections with their home country.

It is also has the fatal flaw of insinuating that only cities with as high a foreign born population as Miami have true international connections. That would only leave NYC, LA, and San Francisco which would be ridiculous. Are you going to tell me that DC or Chicago or Houston or Dallas are in the same boat as Atlanta even though their foreign born population is of similar percentages?

I'm not one to remove true facts from these conversations, but if you remove Miami's Cuban and Haitian populations it's foreign born population falls in line other metropolitan regions of it's size like Atlanta, Philly, DC, Houston, and Dallas. The advantage only exists because of the happenstance of proximity, not because of anything particularly special about Miami.

Last edited by waronxmas; 05-30-2015 at 11:37 PM..

 
Old 05-31-2015, 12:58 AM
 
6,797 posts, read 6,622,812 times
Reputation: 5416
I think a major criticism of Miami that isn't bought up is the fact that it's economy is vastly working class. It's a beach and resort city first and foremost so it gets that really high tourist numbers, but as far as white collar jobs, it struggles. It doesn't have a full complete economy, though it's economy is still better than Mexico City's because it's located in a developed country, but let's be honest....the only thing that matters in Miami is the coast line and anything within a mile of it.

I think if Miami really wants to succeed as a full and complete city 20 years down the road, it really needs to try to lure more elite industries. I mean, I guess Miami is satisfied with being a beach resort city, but if it really wants that young, intelligent energy that other coastal cities enjoy, it really has to lure some corporations in the city and diversify it's economy a little.

I kind of feel like Miami is one of those cities where you see in those dystopian movies that all of the rich and wealthy live in the sky while the poor live on the ground. The sky would refer to the condos. It's like a bubble that exists. When most think of Miami, it's Miami beach or Downtown Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Outside of that bubble, there's nothing but poverty, strife, crime, among it's immigrant working class.

These may be the reasons why Miami may have fell behind on this poll.
 
Old 05-31-2015, 01:14 AM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,489,951 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I think a major criticism of Miami that isn't bought up is the fact that it's economy is vastly working class.
It's been brought up on this thread. Miami loses a lot of CD polls for whatever reason, I wasn't surprised with this outcome.

There is a lot of money being thrown around Miami, however it's not in the form of 9-5 jobs for corporations.

As a topic, I'm increasing my investments in Miami by buying one of those "sky towers" condominiums in Sunny Isles. With an ocean view. The building I bought in is right next to the Porsche Design Tower that is being built, while it makes people uncomfortable to discuss how much my properties are, the condominiums in the Porsche Design Tower are being sold for about 8 million. And that's a 2 bedroom.

What's cool about Sunny Isles is most of the money is coming from Russian investors, some of them are genuine capitalists, others are mafioso who are laundering money. Many brokers in that area request to see bank statements so they can 'know' where the money is coming from when these Russians fly to Miami and buy these multi-million dollar properties with cash. But to me that's borderline discrimination.

Sunny Isles is turning into a mini-Russia, something you won't see in Atlanta.

But this is why Miami living trumps DF or Atlanta, the view from my new investment. And my fiancee in the way.

 
Old 05-31-2015, 02:05 AM
 
14,009 posts, read 22,028,822 times
Reputation: 4087
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Let me get this straight: Your argument (and I assume SPD's argument too) is that Miami has a larger foreign born population, therefore has more of an global connection than Atlanta?

If so, this a very wrong idea to have. While it is true that Miami has a huge foreign born population, let's not forget why that is: Cuban and Haitian refugees that make nearly 1 million of it's foreign born residents. While I'm not downplaying their influence on Miami (which is huge), it's not exactly a international connection, especially in the case of the Cubans who came this country specifically to sever their connections with their home country.

It is also has the fatal flaw of insinuating that only cities with as high a foreign born population as Miami have true international connections. That would only leave NYC, LA, and San Francisco which would be ridiculous. Are you going to tell me that DC or Chicago or Houston or Dallas are in the same boat as Atlanta even though their foreign born population is of similar percentages?

I'm not one to remove true facts from these conversations, but if you remove Miami's Cuban and Haitian populations it's foreign born population falls in line other metropolitan regions of it's size like Atlanta, Philly, DC, Houston, and Dallas. The advantage only exists because of the happenstance of proximity, not because of anything particularly special about Miami.
I don't know man. I still think South Florida breaks 1million foreign born if you removed Haitians and Cubans. I can think of at least 4 or 5 other ethnic groups in Miami that have broken 100,000 residents. And there's probably another 5 more that have broken 50,000 and up. Nicaraguans, Venezuelans, Columbians, Jamaicans, Puerto Ricans and Brazilians all over the 100,000 mark if I'm not mistaken. Then there's STRONG showings from Israelis, Brits, Russians, Bahamians, Trinis, Dominicans, and Canadians.
 
Old 05-31-2015, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,898,955 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
It's been brought up on this thread. Miami loses a lot of CD polls for whatever reason, I wasn't surprised with this outcome.

There is a lot of money being thrown around Miami, however it's not in the form of 9-5 jobs for corporations.

As a topic, I'm increasing my investments in Miami by buying one of those "sky towers" condominiums in Sunny Isles. With an ocean view. The building I bought in is right next to the Porsche Design Tower that is being built, while it makes people uncomfortable to discuss how much my properties are, the condominiums in the Porsche Design Tower are being sold for about 8 million. And that's a 2 bedroom.

What's cool about Sunny Isles is most of the money is coming from Russian investors, some of them are genuine capitalists, others are mafioso who are laundering money. Many brokers in that area request to see bank statements so they can 'know' where the money is coming from when these Russians fly to Miami and buy these multi-million dollar properties with cash. But to me that's borderline discrimination.

Sunny Isles is turning into a mini-Russia, something you won't see in Atlanta.

But this is why Miami living trumps DF or Atlanta, the view from my new investment. And my fiancee in the way.
Atlantans have Russians too.I had 2 of them over my house watching the basketball game just last week.
No Atlanta does not have as many as Miami but there are more Asians in Atlanta than Russians in Miami so hardly relevant by your own admission due to Atlanta low Asian population even though its more than double that of Miami.So which is it because it was not relevant but now it is?

Many of the Russians in Miami unfortunately are connected to the Russian Mafia.Not something I would be bragging about.

Mr.Lala.This is not realistic thinking.The majority of "people" do not have close to 8million dollars to spend on property.This maybe the reality for you but its just not for others.
We could care less how much money your place cost but is it really relevant when so many cant afford this ?Even if I could I can promise you I would never buy a 2 bedroom for 8 million dollars ANYWHERE.
People who would do that are doing ot for the "bragging rights" or to show others what they have not for the value.
Another reason I have never liked Miami.Seems very superficial with no depth.

It just does not loose on CD but in real lif as i posted earlier,it domestic migration loss.
Miami is loosing out with American citizens.This is not just born Americans but naturalized citizens also.

Notice the high level of loss for Miami (Domestic population) and the gain for Atlanta in International migrants is higher than its Domestic population Gain.

As you see the low income levels in Miami has a lot to do with its poor immigrant populations.Its low high tech sector jobs dont attract "the right immigrants" that fuel the high tech sector which compose largely of Africans and Asians which Miami lacks.

As an African American I can tell you that I feel more uncomfortable in Miami than I have in small rural towns in the South.
I am not wealthy but I come from a fairly well off family so I have a sense of decorum one would expext from being raised around somewhat lavish lifestyle.
In Miami it seems unless you are a famous athlete you will run into more racism if you are black.Especially in the nicer areas.
So no I have no love for Miami for those personal reasons.Not hardly cosmopolitan with so much segregation and tension among communities as Miami has been known for in the past.

Last edited by afonega1; 05-31-2015 at 01:09 PM..
 
Old 05-31-2015, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,898,955 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave120 View Post
Just curious, where'd you get these numbers? It's interesting (but not surprising to me) that, if those stats are correct, Boston now has more African born than places like Atlanta and LA. Also, I'm surprised that Minneapolis isn't on the list.
Something is off because according to this from the Census realeased Oct.2014
African-Born Population in US Roughly Doubled Every Decade Since 1970

Metropolitan areas with the largest African-born populations were New York (212,000), Washington (161,000), Atlanta (68,000), Los Angeles (68,000), Minneapolis-St. Paul (64,000), Dallas-Fort Worth (61,000) and Boston (60,000).
Among the 10 metro areas with the largest African-born populations, Nigerians were the most populous group and constituted a high proportion (20 percent or more) of the African-born in the Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston metros. Similarly, Ethiopians were a high proportion and the largest group in the Washington D.C. metro, Cabo Verdeans in Boston, Somalis in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Egyptians in Los Angeles and Liberians in Philadelphia.
 
Old 05-31-2015, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,898,955 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I don't know man. I still think South Florida breaks 1million foreign born if you removed Haitians and Cubans. I can think of at least 4 or 5 other ethnic groups in Miami that have broken 100,000 residents. And there's probably another 5 more that have broken 50,000 and up. Nicaraguans, Venezuelans, Columbians, Jamaicans, Puerto Ricans and Brazilians all over the 100,000 mark if I'm not mistaken. Then there's STRONG showings from Israelis, Brits, Russians, Bahamians, Trinis, Dominicans, and Canadians.
Maybe right.Its at least close.However it remarkable how many Haitians and Jamaicans have moved to Atlanta.I think its the fastest if not close to it growth in the country of that group to any city.Even faster growing than that in Miami.

Many of those are moving fron New york and Miami to Atlanta.I have met many of them.Some of them are friends.
Since 2000 Atlanta has seen a 285% increase in its Jamaican population since 2000.Jamaicans are now the fourth largest immigrant group in Atlanta after Mexicans, Indians,and Koreans.
 
Old 05-31-2015, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,489,951 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
It just does not loose on CD but in real lif as i posted earlier,it domestic migration loss.
Miami is loosing out with American citizens.This is not just born Americans but naturalized citizens also.
Your own chart shows Miami is gaining more people than Atlanta (look at total net migration).

Your own chart shows Miami is gaining far more international people than Atlanta. In fact it seems roughly tied with Los Angeles and behind NYC.

The net loss in domestic is small, but it shows Miami is continuing to become even more of an international city at a far faster rate than Atlanta. Since you are well behind us now, and since we're expanding our lead, your situation is hopeless to become as diverse, globally connected, or cosmopolitan as us.

I would have kept that chart hidden.

Quote:
As an African American I can tell you that I feel more uncomfortable in Miami than I have in small rural towns in the South.
I am not wealthy but I come from a fairly well off family so I have a sense of decorum one would expext from being raised around somewhat lavish lifestyle.
In Miami it seems unless you are a famous athlete you will run into more racism if you are black.Especially in the nicer areas.
So no I have no love for Miami for those personal reasons.Not hardly cosmopolitan with so much segregation and tension among communities as Miami has been known for in the past.
Tbh, I don't really care. But I will answer that this has nothing to do with internationalism, cosmopolitanism, or diversity. If you as a black-American prefer Atlanta, I can perfectly see that, after all it's now a black-American mecca.

But many cities have segregation and racism, e.g. NYC. Even Atlanta, your metro is so highly segregated, some counties don't even want MARTA to expand to prevent black-Americans from the city core without cars making trips into their counties.
 
Old 05-31-2015, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,488 posts, read 7,765,337 times
Reputation: 7300
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Let me get this straight: Your argument (and I assume SPD's argument too) is that Miami has a larger foreign born population, therefore has more of an global connection than Atlanta?
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Are you going to tell me that DC or Chicago or Houston or Dallas are in the same boat as Atlanta even though their foreign born population is of similar percentages?
Your point is made up.

Born overseas (by percentages):
- Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL: 38.21%
- San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA: 36.44%
- Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA: 34.07%
- San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA: 29.69%
- New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA: 28.99%
- San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA: 23.40%
- Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX: 21.94%
- Las Vegas-Paradise, NV: 21.75%
- Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV: 21.61%
- Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA: 21.32%
- Honolulu, HI: 19.33%
- Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA: 17.94%
- Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, IL-IN-WI: 17.78%
- Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX: 17.51%
- Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA: 16.93%
- Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH: 16.79%
- Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL: 16.40%
- Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX: 14.94%
- Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ: 14.51%
- Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA: 13.25%
- Tucson, AZ: 12.94%
- Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA: 12.47%
- Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL: 12.45%
- Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO: 12.10%
- Salt Lake City, UT: 11.78%
- San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX: 11.71%
- Raleigh-Cary, NC: 11.42%
- Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC: 12.27%
- Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD: 9.79%
- Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI: 9.73%
- Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI: 8.70%

American FactFinder

Even when you take out Cubans and Haitians, its percentages still dwarf Atlanta's, you can do that math yourself. I'm not giving you every answer just because you're wrong. Also, laughable that you actually think your city's percentages are in the league of those others you mentioned. Absolutely laughable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
While it is true that Miami has a huge foreign born population, let's not forget why that is: Cuban and Haitian refugees that make nearly 1 million of it's foreign born residents.
- Miami's Born in Cuba Population: 695,838
- Miami's Born in Haiti Population: 201,643
- Combined Population of Born in Cuba + Haiti: 897,481

- Miami MSA Total Foreign Born Population: 2,274,308
- Combined Overseas Born Cuban + Haitian in Miami: 897,481

- Remaining after Cuban + Haitian is subtracted from total foreign born: 1,376,827 (Foreign born people who aren't Cuban or Haitian)

- Atlanta TOTAL Foreign Born Population: 755,810

Just shy of still doubling Atlanta's full total and that is without the 900,000 Cubans + Haitians.

American FactFinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
While I'm not downplaying their influence on Miami (which is huge)
Sure you are. You're playing this game of "take away" and fail to realize we can play that game too and it only makes Atlanta look worse.

So lets keep playing "take away" and I have one right off the bat. Lets see what Atlanta's foreign born population is when we "take away" Mexicans. Yeah, thought so.

- Atlanta's Total Foreign Born Population: 755,810
- Atlanta's Born in Mexico Population: 189,589

- Atlanta's Total Foreign Born Population when you take out Mexico: 566,221

American FactFinder

Plummets to Phoenix's level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
but if you remove Miami's Cuban and Haitian populations it's foreign born population falls in line other metropolitan regions of it's size like Atlanta, Philly, DC, Houston, Boston, and Dallas.
Your point is made up again.

Total Overseas Born Population:
- New York: 5,974,000
- Los Angeles: 5,511,026
- Miami: 2,274,308
- San Francisco Bay Area: 2,226,990
- Chicago: 1,699,371
- Miami: 1,376,827 (when we play "take away" and take out the Cubans + Haitians)
- Houston: 1,344,448
- Washington: 1,232,826
- Dallas: 1,160,081
- Boston: 1,111,220
[Sub-million]
- Atlanta: 744,033
- Philadelphia: 629,785

American FactFinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It is also has the fatal flaw of insinuating that only cities with as high a foreign born population as Miami have true international connections.
Your point is made up.

Our "international connections" look just fine. These numbers are O&D, meaning they're bullet proof concrete evidence that people either A) go from here to these places OR B) people from these countries come here. That is it, origin and destination.

01. Toronto, Canada: 668,838 (Miami)
02. Caracas, Venezuela: 617,296 (Miami)
03. Nassau, Bahamas: 538,089 (Miami)
04. Buenos Aires, Argentina: 533,507 (Miami)
05. Montreal, Canada: 477,207 (Miami)
06. London, United Kingdom: 476,010 (Miami)
07. New York, United States: 475,176 (Miami)
08. Sao Paulo, Brazil: 456,244 (Miami)
09. Port-au-prince, Haiti: 445,348 (Miami)
10. Bogota, Colombia: 442,221 (Miami)
11. Mexico City, Mexico: 417,507 (Miami)
12. Cancun, Mexico: 358,688 (Miami)
13. Kingston, Jamaica: 350,463 (Miami)
14. Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic: 349,655 (Miami)
15. Lima, Peru: 316,466 (Miami)
16. San Jose, Costa Rica: 303,901 (Miami)
17. Paris, France: 246,710 (Miami)
18. Managua, Nicaragua: 226,549 (Miami)
19. Panama City, Panama: 209,016 (Miami)
20. Port-of-spain, Trinidad and Tobago: 190,614 (Miami)

21. Seoul-Incheon, South Korea: 188,207 (Atlanta)
22. Montego Bay, Jamaica: 186,943 (Miami)
23. London, United Kingdom: 185,587 (Atlanta)
24. Guayaquil, Ecuador: 180,840 (Miami)
25. Guatemala City, Guatemala: 179,307 (Miami)

26. Toronto, Canada: 177,215 (Atlanta)
27. Medellin, Colombia: 168,119 (Miami)
28. San Pedro Sula, Honduras: 167,897 (Miami)

29. Cancun, Mexico: 165,260 (Atlanta)
30. Georgetown, Cayman Islands: 159,514 (Miami)
31. Quito, Ecuador: 153,661 (Miami)
32. Madrid, Spain: 151,250 (Miami)
33. Frankfurt am Main, Germany: 136,993 (Miami)
34. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: 129,388 (Miami)
35. Santiago, Chile: 123,992 (Miami)
36. Zürich, Switzerland: 123,352 (Miami)
37. Rome, Italy: 115,594 (Miami)
38. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic: 112,432 (Miami)
39. Freeport, Bahamas: 108,501 (Miami)
40. Brasilia, Brazil: 104,762 (Miami)
41. Ottawa, Canada: 101,781 (Miami)
42. Oranjestad, Aruba: 101,309 (Miami)


Global Gateways: International Aviation in Metropolitan America | Brookings Institution

^ To further add insult to injury, only one of those connections for Miami are to Cuba AND Haiti (number 9 on the list). ROFLOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I'm not one to remove true facts from these conversations, but if you remove Miami's Cuban and Haitian populations it's foreign born population falls in line other metropolitan regions of it's size like Atlanta, Philly, DC, Houston, and Dallas.
Yeah, well you just did it anyways.

Total Overseas Born Population:
- New York: 5,974,000
- Los Angeles: 5,511,026
- Miami: 2,274,308
- San Francisco Bay Area: 2,226,990
- Chicago: 1,699,371
- Miami: 1,376,827 (when we play "take away" and take out the Cubans + Haitians)
- Houston: 1,344,448
- Washington: 1,232,826
- Dallas: 1,160,081
- Boston: 1,111,220
[Sub-million]
- Atlanta: 744,033
- Philadelphia: 629,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The advantage only exists because of the happenstance of proximity, not because of anything particularly special about Miami.
Oh, so Miami is the only place in the world that benefits from a uh, "happenstance of proximity"?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Brussels is one of the most diverse places on the planet? You know, sucking people from so many nationalities that are within 500 kilometers of the city.

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Melbourne and Sydney have surging Asian populations, specifically Southeast Asian and Oceanian people (the people closest to Australia)?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why California and Texas have the largest Mexican and Central American populations outside of Mexico and Central America?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" along with former colonialism doesn't play a part into why London is the second most cosmopolitan city on the face of the Earth after New York? You know sucking in people from tiny European countries that are a jump, hop, skip away along with people from all over the planet that once viewed London as the colonial center to their empires.

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Boston has one of the largest expat communities of people from Iceland, Greenland, Ireland, among the like?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Istanbul is one of the most diverse cities in all of the Middle-East, because it lies geographically in the center of Europe, Asia Minor, and North Africa (across the Mediterranean Sea)?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Montpelier, VT has one of the largest expat Quebecois French populations on Earth outside of Quebec?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Singapore, the crossroads of all of Southeast Asia with geographic proximity to Indonesia, Malaysia, among various other nations, is the most diverse and cosmopolitan place in all of Southeast Asia.

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Hong Kong, the crossroads of East Asia where the lure and draw beckon it from surrounding countries, is the reason why it is the most diverse city in East Asia?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" along with former colonial influences doesn't play a part into why Paris has one of the fastest growing Vietnamese, African, and Arab populations (specifically from North Africa) in the world?

No, I suppose that "happenstance of proximity" only applies to Miami when it comes to benefits of having a massive immigrant population.

LOL @ "happenstance of proximity."
 
Old 05-31-2015, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,489,951 times
Reputation: 699
Good post Red John, I was going to respond the same way (i.e take away both of Atlanta's largest FB populations) but was too lazy to look up the statistics. But that's even more damning than I imagined it to be for Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top