U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2015, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,870,310 times
Reputation: 2908

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Your own chart shows Miami is gaining more people than Atlanta (look at total net migration).

Your own chart shows Miami is gaining far more international people than Atlanta. In fact it seems roughly tied with Los Angeles and behind NYC.

The net loss in domestic is small, but it shows Miami is continuing to become even more of an international city at a far faster rate than Atlanta. Since you are well behind us now, and since we're expanding our lead, your situation is hopeless to become as diverse, globally connected, or cosmopolitan as us.

I would have kept that chart hidden.



Tbh, I don't really care. But I will answer that this has nothing to do with internationalism, cosmopolitanism, or diversity. If you as a black-American prefer Atlanta, I can perfectly see that, after all it's now a black-American mecca.

But many cities have segregation and racism, e.g. NYC. Even Atlanta, your metro is so highly segregated, some counties don't even want MARTA to expand to prevent black-Americans from the city core without cars making trips into their counties.
I have not once denied Miami get more internationalimmigrants.What I have said is that they are limited to certain regions more than others.

As another poster stated Atlanta is no different than many cities like SF,Boston,D.C.Chicago.Seattle etc.You ignore that because you know it makes totally no sense whatsoever.

LOL.Im so happy Atlanta will never be Miami.We don't have riots or where Cubans and Haitians are constantly at odds.Or Cubans are constantly at odds with other islanders.

May I ask where you are from originally and are you Hispanic or European?

You are quoting old opinions that do not hold true.
MARTA is in the process of expanding largely because they are now better ran and because crime levels are now the lowest in the city of Atlanta in 40 years.
It may have been at one time a race issue but hardly that today.Nice try though.

In fact the city of Atlanta has lost a significant amount of its black population but not away to other cities out state but to the suburbs,Many of Atlanta suburbs are very diverse,The City core however is not as much but its more of class and economics than race which is more of an issue in Miami way more than Atlanta.

MARTA is one of the main catalyst for growth in the city.Business and retail are relocating to many areas where there is a subway.Many companies are moving from the suburbs into the city like NCR,Metlife and many others.
I dont prefer Atlanta because its has a large black population soley.I prefer it because I can move with ease in any place I choose.I dont get looks like why are you here when I hang out in areas that are not as diverse like what happens in Miami.
I choose to live in Atlanta because of it access to a truly global diverse populace AND I have access to African American culture.

I could live in D.C.,Chicago,Philly,Oakland,and many other cities for that very same reason as the African American culture is strong in those cities as well as they are also diverse and international.
Miami does not offer nearly as a welcoming attitude to people of darker skin.

 
Old 05-31-2015, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,482,534 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I have not once denied Miami get more internationalimmigrants.What I have said is that they are limited to certain regions more than others.
Miami gets plenty from South America, the Caribbean, North America, and Europe.

Quote:
As another poster stated Atlanta is no different than many cities like SF,Boston,D.C.Chicago.Seattle etc.You ignore that because you know it makes totally no sense whatsoever.
SF, Boston, DC, and Chicago are far more international than Atlanta but that's a different story. You're in the same league as Seattle.

Quote:
May I ask where you are from originally and are you Hispanic or European?
Europe, Serbian.

Quote:
I could live in D.C.,Chicago,Philly,Oakland,and many other cities for that very same reason as the African American culture is strong in those cities as well as they are also diverse and international.
Miami does not offer nearly as a welcoming attitude to people of darker skin.
I don't know what to tell you, we get way too many black tourists from Atlanta. They don't seem to mind, as tourists anyway.
 
Old 05-31-2015, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,870,310 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
No.

Your point is made up.

Born overseas (by percentages):
- Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL: 38.21%
- San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA: 36.44%
- Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA: 34.07%
- San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA: 29.69%
- New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA: 28.99%
- San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA: 23.40%
- Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX: 21.94%
- Las Vegas-Paradise, NV: 21.75%
- Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV: 21.61%
- Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA: 21.32%
- Honolulu, HI: 19.33%
- Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA: 17.94%
- Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, IL-IN-WI: 17.78%
- Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX: 17.51%
- Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA: 16.93%
- Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH: 16.79%
- Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL: 16.40%
- Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX: 14.94%
- Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ: 14.51%
- Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA: 13.25%
- Tucson, AZ: 12.94%
- Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA: 12.47%
- Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL: 12.45%
- Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO: 12.10%
- Salt Lake City, UT: 11.78%
- San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX: 11.71%
- Raleigh-Cary, NC: 11.42%
- Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC: 12.27%
- Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD: 9.79%
- Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI: 9.73%
- Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI: 8.70%

American FactFinder

Even when you take out Cubans and Haitians, its percentages still dwarf Atlanta's, you can do that math yourself. I'm not giving you every answer just because you're wrong. Also, laughable that you actually think your city's percentages are in the league of those others you mentioned. Absolutely laughable.

- Miami's Born in Cuba Population: 695,838
- Miami's Born in Haiti Population: 201,643
- Combined Population of Born in Cuba + Haiti: 897,481

- Miami MSA Total Foreign Born Population: 2,274,308
- Combined Overseas Born Cuban + Haitian in Miami: 897,481

- Remaining after Cuban + Haitian is subtracted from total foreign born: 1,376,827 (Foreign born people who aren't Cuban or Haitian)

- Atlanta TOTAL Foreign Born Population: 755,810

Just shy of still doubling Atlanta's full total and that is without the 900,000 Cubans + Haitians.

American FactFinder

Sure you are. You're playing this game of "take away" and fail to realize we can play that game too and it only makes Atlanta look worse.

So lets keep playing "take away" and I have one right off the bat. Lets see what Atlanta's foreign born population is when we "take away" Mexicans. Yeah, thought so.

- Atlanta's Total Foreign Born Population: 755,810
- Atlanta's Born in Mexico Population: 189,589

- Atlanta's Total Foreign Born Population when you take out Mexico: 566,221

American FactFinder

Plummets to Phoenix's level.

Your point is made up again.

Total Overseas Born Population:
- New York: 5,974,000
- Los Angeles: 5,511,026
- Miami: 2,274,308
- San Francisco Bay Area: 2,226,990
- Chicago: 1,699,371
- Miami: 1,376,827 (when we play "take away" and take out the Cubans + Haitians)
- Houston: 1,344,448
- Washington: 1,232,826
- Dallas: 1,160,081
- Boston: 1,111,220
[Sub-million]
- Atlanta: 744,033
- Philadelphia: 629,785

American FactFinder

Your point is made up.

Our "international connections" look just fine. These numbers are O&D, meaning they're bullet proof concrete evidence that people either A) go from here to these places OR B) people from these countries come here. That is it, origin and destination.

01. Toronto, Canada: 668,838 (Miami)
02. Caracas, Venezuela: 617,296 (Miami)
03. Nassau, Bahamas: 538,089 (Miami)
04. Buenos Aires, Argentina: 533,507 (Miami)
05. Montreal, Canada: 477,207 (Miami)
06. London, United Kingdom: 476,010 (Miami)
07. New York, United States: 475,176 (Miami)
08. Sao Paulo, Brazil: 456,244 (Miami)
09. Port-au-prince, Haiti: 445,348 (Miami)
10. Bogota, Colombia: 442,221 (Miami)
11. Mexico City, Mexico: 417,507 (Miami)
12. Cancun, Mexico: 358,688 (Miami)
13. Kingston, Jamaica: 350,463 (Miami)
14. Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic: 349,655 (Miami)
15. Lima, Peru: 316,466 (Miami)
16. San Jose, Costa Rica: 303,901 (Miami)
17. Paris, France: 246,710 (Miami)
18. Managua, Nicaragua: 226,549 (Miami)
19. Panama City, Panama: 209,016 (Miami)
20. Port-of-spain, Trinidad and Tobago: 190,614 (Miami)

21. Seoul-Incheon, South Korea: 188,207 (Atlanta)
22. Montego Bay, Jamaica: 186,943 (Miami)
23. London, United Kingdom: 185,587 (Atlanta)
24. Guayaquil, Ecuador: 180,840 (Miami)
25. Guatemala City, Guatemala: 179,307 (Miami)

26. Toronto, Canada: 177,215 (Atlanta)
27. Medellin, Colombia: 168,119 (Miami)
28. San Pedro Sula, Honduras: 167,897 (Miami)

29. Cancun, Mexico: 165,260 (Atlanta)
30. Georgetown, Cayman Islands: 159,514 (Miami)
31. Quito, Ecuador: 153,661 (Miami)
32. Madrid, Spain: 151,250 (Miami)
33. Frankfurt am Main, Germany: 136,993 (Miami)
34. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: 129,388 (Miami)
35. Santiago, Chile: 123,992 (Miami)
36. Zürich, Switzerland: 123,352 (Miami)
37. Rome, Italy: 115,594 (Miami)
38. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic: 112,432 (Miami)
39. Freeport, Bahamas: 108,501 (Miami)
40. Brasilia, Brazil: 104,762 (Miami)
41. Ottawa, Canada: 101,781 (Miami)
42. Oranjestad, Aruba: 101,309 (Miami)


Global Gateways: International Aviation in Metropolitan America | Brookings Institution

^ To further add insult to injury, only one of those connections for Miami are to Cuba AND Haiti (number 9 on the list). ROFLOL.

Yeah, well you just did it anyways.

Total Overseas Born Population:
- New York: 5,974,000
- Los Angeles: 5,511,026
- Miami: 2,274,308
- San Francisco Bay Area: 2,226,990
- Chicago: 1,699,371
- Miami: 1,376,827 (when we play "take away" and take out the Cubans + Haitians)
- Houston: 1,344,448
- Washington: 1,232,826
- Dallas: 1,160,081
- Boston: 1,111,220
[Sub-million]
- Atlanta: 744,033
- Philadelphia: 629,785

Oh, so Miami is the only place in the world that benefits from a uh, "happenstance of proximity"?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Brussels is one of the most diverse places on the planet? You know, sucking people from so many nationalities that are within 500 kilometers of the city.

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Melbourne and Sydney have surging Asian populations, specifically Southeast Asian and Oceanian people (the people closest to Australia)?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why California and Texas have the largest Mexican and Central American populations outside of Mexico and Central America?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" along with former colonialism doesn't play a part into why London is the second most cosmopolitan city on the face of the Earth after New York? You know sucking in people from tiny European countries that are a jump, hop, skip away along with people from all over the planet that once viewed London as the colonial center to their empires.

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Boston has one of the largest expat communities of people from Iceland, Greenland, Ireland, among the like?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Istanbul is one of the most diverse cities in all of the Middle-East, because it lies geographically in the center of Europe, Asia Minor, and North Africa (across the Mediterranean Sea)?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Montpelier, VT has one of the largest expat Quebecois French populations on Earth outside of Quebec?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Singapore, the crossroads of all of Southeast Asia with geographic proximity to Indonesia, Malaysia, among various other nations, is the most diverse and cosmopolitan place in all of Southeast Asia.

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Hong Kong, the crossroads of East Asia where the lure and draw beckon it from surrounding countries, is the reason why it is the most diverse city in East Asia?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" along with former colonial influences doesn't play a part into why Paris has one of the fastest growing Vietnamese, African, and Arab populations (specifically from North Africa) in the world?

No, I suppose that "happenstance of proximity" only applies to Miami when it comes to benefits of having a massive immigrant population.

LOL @ "happenstance of proximity."
Jesus!You are the most long winded poster I have seen in a long time.Many of your stats while good and informative are irrelevant taken out of context, or just plain redundant.

For instance your stats are also selective and biased.You dont show the percentages of where many of those cities foreign born hail from.
Seattle will be largely and mostly Asian.
Las Vegas has 121,00 foreign born yet 81,000 are from Latin America and 69,000 are from Mexico.
http://old.lasvegasnevada.gov/files/...Population.pdf
Not to mention man cities in the lis

Ok so you say you took away Atlanta largest foreign born group which is Mexico but its still not HALF of its total like in Miami the Cuban population is of its foreign born.
64% of Miami's foreign born is Hispanic or Latino.
http://www.miamidade.gov/business/li...ic-profile.pdf

Again why cant you post some stats on the Asian and African population of Miami like I asked?What communities in Miami have a 10% or higher of these groups?I guess Ill never get an answer.....
 
Old 05-31-2015, 01:48 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,797 posts, read 11,738,575 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I don't know man. I still think South Florida breaks 1million foreign born if you removed Haitians and Cubans. I can think of at least 4 or 5 other ethnic groups in Miami that have broken 100,000 residents. And there's probably another 5 more that have broken 50,000 and up. Nicaraguans, Venezuelans, Columbians, Jamaicans, Puerto Ricans and Brazilians all over the 100,000 mark if I'm not mistaken. Then there's STRONG showings from Israelis, Brits, Russians, Bahamians, Trinis, Dominicans, and Canadians.
Oh, it most certainly does. Which was the point I was making: Take away the special case of what happened with Cubans and Haitians, and Miami has a foreign born population in line with other cities of similar size.

Again, I don't want to take anything away from Miami with those two groups. They are a big part of what defines Miami and is definitely a bonus for that city. What I have a problem with is people twisting that to mean that Miami got that way because it somehow better globally connected. No, it just happens to be the largest American city closest to those cities.

Last edited by waronxmas; 05-31-2015 at 01:57 PM..
 
Old 05-31-2015, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,870,310 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Miami gets plenty from South America, the Caribbean, North America, and Europe.
Where is Asia and Africa?


SF, Boston, DC, and Chicago are far more international than Atlanta but that's a different story. You're in the same league as Seattle.



Europe, Serbian.



I don't know what to tell you, we get way too many black tourists from Atlanta. They don't seem to mind, as tourists anyway.
Im no surprised.I dont think Miami is a bad place to visit but for some groups its not the best although livable.
Its not like I thinks the 1950's Jim Crow South it once was.Its just lower on the totem pole than many cities in that regard.
Im going to Miami in August for a wedding and I know that I will enjoy myself even though Im not much of a beach person.I will still enjoy it regardless.

I asked where you were from because as I stated many Americans by birth do not "love" Miami.Those who are also English speaking by birth are also less likely to choose Miami.
 
Old 05-31-2015, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,482,534 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I asked where you were from because as I stated many Americans by birth do not "love" Miami.Those who are also English speaking by birth are also less likely to choose Miami.
Well I was born in Los Angeles, it was my parent's who were immigrants. I'm obviously fluent in English but also in several other European languages, Serbian being one of them.

Like I said, Miami is a hard nut to crack. I hear sob-stories from many people in Miami. One guy moved from Los Angeles and his paycheck was cut in 3. Now, COL in Miami is cheaper than in LA but not by a factor of 3. He is currently drowning, it doesn't help he has 3 kids, 2 of them which are special needs.

My fiancee was a model for Elite in Greece before she came to Florida. When she went to Florida, she had so much money from modeling she bought her first house, in cash, and so would begin a career of hers in real estate, she is now a real estate investor and owns two companies of which she basically pays assistants to do 90% of her work.

In my case, I made my money in California and other states. I was an iOS developer and was lucky enough to have had my hand in several gigantic projects of which I get shares. In fact if you don't use them, you have a friend who does. I'm basically set for the rest of my life, and it was at that point in my life I chose to move to Miami because I fell in love with the city on a visit many years ago for WMC. Now I'm getting into real estate (partly due to her insisting, partly because why not) but point is, this is a tough market to make it.

I actually like it that way, it keeps a certain mediocrity out.
 
Old 05-31-2015, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,482,534 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Oh, it most certainly does. Which was the point I was making: Take away the special case of what happened with Cubans and Haitians, and Miami has a foreign born population in line with other cities of similar size. .
Red John just posted a lengthy post showing you that if you take away those 2 groups, Miami still has 2x the foreign born population of Atlanta.

Of course, take away the 2 largest groups from Atlanta's number to compare (Mexicans and which is the second?) and Atlanta basically has a negligible foreign born population.
 
Old 05-31-2015, 02:46 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,797 posts, read 11,738,575 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
No.

Your point is made up.

Born overseas (by percentages):
- Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL: 38.21%
- San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA: 36.44%
- Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA: 34.07%
- San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA: 29.69%
- New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA: 28.99%
- San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA: 23.40%
- Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX: 21.94%
- Las Vegas-Paradise, NV: 21.75%
- Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV: 21.61%
- Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA: 21.32%
- Honolulu, HI: 19.33%
- Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA: 17.94%
- Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, IL-IN-WI: 17.78%
- Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX: 17.51%
- Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA: 16.93%
- Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH: 16.79%
- Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL: 16.40%
- Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX: 14.94%
- Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ: 14.51%
- Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA: 13.25%
- Tucson, AZ: 12.94%
- Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA: 12.47%
- Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL: 12.45%
- Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO: 12.10%
- Salt Lake City, UT: 11.78%
- San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX: 11.71%
- Raleigh-Cary, NC: 11.42%
- Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC: 12.27%
- Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD: 9.79%
- Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI: 9.73%
- Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI: 8.70%

American FactFinder

Even when you take out Cubans and Haitians, its percentages still dwarf Atlanta's, you can do that math yourself. I'm not giving you every answer just because you're wrong. Also, laughable that you actually think your city's percentages are in the league of those others you mentioned. Absolutely laughable.

- Miami's Born in Cuba Population: 695,838
- Miami's Born in Haiti Population: 201,643
- Combined Population of Born in Cuba + Haiti: 897,481

- Miami MSA Total Foreign Born Population: 2,274,308
- Combined Overseas Born Cuban + Haitian in Miami: 897,481

- Remaining after Cuban + Haitian is subtracted from total foreign born: 1,376,827 (Foreign born people who aren't Cuban or Haitian)

- Atlanta TOTAL Foreign Born Population: 755,810

Just shy of still doubling Atlanta's full total and that is without the 900,000 Cubans + Haitians.

American FactFinder

Sure you are. You're playing this game of "take away" and fail to realize we can play that game too and it only makes Atlanta look worse.

So lets keep playing "take away" and I have one right off the bat. Lets see what Atlanta's foreign born population is when we "take away" Mexicans. Yeah, thought so.

- Atlanta's Total Foreign Born Population: 755,810
- Atlanta's Born in Mexico Population: 189,589

- Atlanta's Total Foreign Born Population when you take out Mexico: 566,221

American FactFinder

Plummets to Phoenix's level.

Your point is made up again.

Total Overseas Born Population:
- New York: 5,974,000
- Los Angeles: 5,511,026
- Miami: 2,274,308
- San Francisco Bay Area: 2,226,990
- Chicago: 1,699,371
- Miami: 1,376,827 (when we play "take away" and take out the Cubans + Haitians)
- Houston: 1,344,448
- Washington: 1,232,826
- Dallas: 1,160,081
- Boston: 1,111,220
[Sub-million]
- Atlanta: 744,033
- Philadelphia: 629,785

American FactFinder

Your point is made up.

Our "international connections" look just fine. These numbers are O&D, meaning they're bullet proof concrete evidence that people either A) go from here to these places OR B) people from these countries come here. That is it, origin and destination.

01. Toronto, Canada: 668,838 (Miami)
02. Caracas, Venezuela: 617,296 (Miami)
03. Nassau, Bahamas: 538,089 (Miami)
04. Buenos Aires, Argentina: 533,507 (Miami)
05. Montreal, Canada: 477,207 (Miami)
06. London, United Kingdom: 476,010 (Miami)
07. New York, United States: 475,176 (Miami)
08. Sao Paulo, Brazil: 456,244 (Miami)
09. Port-au-prince, Haiti: 445,348 (Miami)
10. Bogota, Colombia: 442,221 (Miami)
11. Mexico City, Mexico: 417,507 (Miami)
12. Cancun, Mexico: 358,688 (Miami)
13. Kingston, Jamaica: 350,463 (Miami)
14. Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic: 349,655 (Miami)
15. Lima, Peru: 316,466 (Miami)
16. San Jose, Costa Rica: 303,901 (Miami)
17. Paris, France: 246,710 (Miami)
18. Managua, Nicaragua: 226,549 (Miami)
19. Panama City, Panama: 209,016 (Miami)
20. Port-of-spain, Trinidad and Tobago: 190,614 (Miami)

21. Seoul-Incheon, South Korea: 188,207 (Atlanta)
22. Montego Bay, Jamaica: 186,943 (Miami)
23. London, United Kingdom: 185,587 (Atlanta)
24. Guayaquil, Ecuador: 180,840 (Miami)
25. Guatemala City, Guatemala: 179,307 (Miami)

26. Toronto, Canada: 177,215 (Atlanta)
27. Medellin, Colombia: 168,119 (Miami)
28. San Pedro Sula, Honduras: 167,897 (Miami)

29. Cancun, Mexico: 165,260 (Atlanta)
30. Georgetown, Cayman Islands: 159,514 (Miami)
31. Quito, Ecuador: 153,661 (Miami)
32. Madrid, Spain: 151,250 (Miami)
33. Frankfurt am Main, Germany: 136,993 (Miami)
34. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: 129,388 (Miami)
35. Santiago, Chile: 123,992 (Miami)
36. Zürich, Switzerland: 123,352 (Miami)
37. Rome, Italy: 115,594 (Miami)
38. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic: 112,432 (Miami)
39. Freeport, Bahamas: 108,501 (Miami)
40. Brasilia, Brazil: 104,762 (Miami)
41. Ottawa, Canada: 101,781 (Miami)
42. Oranjestad, Aruba: 101,309 (Miami)


Global Gateways: International Aviation in Metropolitan America | Brookings Institution

^ To further add insult to injury, only one of those connections for Miami are to Cuba AND Haiti (number 9 on the list). ROFLOL.

Yeah, well you just did it anyways.

Total Overseas Born Population:
- New York: 5,974,000
- Los Angeles: 5,511,026
- Miami: 2,274,308
- San Francisco Bay Area: 2,226,990
- Chicago: 1,699,371
- Miami: 1,376,827 (when we play "take away" and take out the Cubans + Haitians)
- Houston: 1,344,448
- Washington: 1,232,826
- Dallas: 1,160,081
- Boston: 1,111,220
[Sub-million]
- Atlanta: 744,033
- Philadelphia: 629,785
Well, I hate it for you that you spent all of that time typing and digging up stats (not really), but you proved the point I was trying to make. Artificially remove Miami's Cuban and Haitian foreign born communites, and it comes more in line with metropolitan areas of similar size.

As it is in reality, Miami is in the same league as New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco aka the traditional major ports of entry in this country for foreign born persons. However, the reason for that isn't the same for Miami.

Again, my goal wasn't to take anything away from Miami, but rather to consider historical context. No Cuban Revolution or the economic wasteland Haiti has been for the last several decades, no NYC/LA/San Fran size foreign born population. It would happened to any city as close as Miami is to those countries.

I also want to make it clear that my point wasn't to say that Atlanta somehow bests Miami in foreign born population if you remove Cubans and Haitians. Obviously that is not true as you (painstakingly) noted above.

I will say however it's not exactly chopped liver. Yeah, it's not over a million, but it also was barely above 100,000 as recently as the 1980s. What Atlanta lacks in size (trust it'll be over 1 million within 10 to 15 years or so) it makes up for how rapidly it has become a major destination for foreign born residents. And it did so not by being a major port of entry, but as a city that was known for having a good COL and numerous economic opportunities. I'm not sure if any stats exist to show it, but just from the people I know in my life (both family and friends) that are foreign born, most of them started out in this country in another city then moved here. Not saying that this is unique to Atlanta, or that we're somehow better than Miami in this regard (though I think a case could be made for economic reasons), but it applies to basically all foreign born here.

I also personally think that it is a bonus for Atlanta that it's foreign born population isn't so lopsided to one region. While is not a the top of any list for a particular foreign nation, we have a healthy percentage of people from all regions. While obviously Latin and Caribbean culture isn't one dimensional, the fact that those two regions make up 90% of Miami's foreign born population speaks to the dynamics at play there of proximity. It's not good or bad, just the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Melbourne and Sydney have surging Asian populations, specifically Southeast Asian and Oceanian people (the people closest to Australia)?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why California and Texas have the largest Mexican and Central American populations outside of Mexico and Central America?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" along with former colonialism doesn't play a part into why London is the second most cosmopolitan city on the face of the Earth after New York? You know sucking in people from tiny European countries that are a jump, hop, skip away along with people from all over the planet that once viewed London as the colonial center to their empires.

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Boston has one of the largest expat communities of people from Iceland, Greenland, Ireland, among the like?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Istanbul is one of the most diverse cities in all of the Middle-East, because it lies geographically in the center of Europe, Asia Minor, and North Africa (across the Mediterranean Sea)?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Montpelier, VT has one of the largest expat Quebecois French populations on Earth outside of Quebec?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Singapore, the crossroads of all of Southeast Asia with geographic proximity to Indonesia, Malaysia, among various other nations, is the most diverse and cosmopolitan place in all of Southeast Asia.

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" doesn't play a part into why Hong Kong, the crossroads of East Asia where the lure and draw beckon it from surrounding countries, is the reason why it is the most diverse city in East Asia?

I suppose "happenstance of proximity" along with former colonial influences doesn't play a part into why Paris has one of the fastest growing Vietnamese, African, and Arab populations (specifically from North Africa) in the world?

No, I suppose that "happenstance of proximity" only applies to Miami when it comes to benefits of having a massive immigrant population.

LOL @ "happenstance of proximity."
Why yes, Miami is not alone in having a large foreign population due to it's physical location. Again, I hate it for you (not really) that you spent so much time writing out what is a very easy point to understand.
 
Old 05-31-2015, 02:47 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,797 posts, read 11,738,575 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Red John just posted a lengthy post showing you that if you take away those 2 groups, Miami still has 2x the foreign born population of Atlanta.

Of course, take away the 2 largest groups from Atlanta's number to compare (Mexicans and which is the second?) and Atlanta basically has a negligible foreign born population.
Yeah, not the point I was making.
 
Old 05-31-2015, 03:01 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,797 posts, read 11,738,575 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Something is off because according to this from the Census realeased Oct.2014
African-Born Population in US Roughly Doubled Every Decade Since 1970

Metropolitan areas with the largest African-born populations were New York (212,000), Washington (161,000), Atlanta (68,000), Los Angeles (68,000), Minneapolis-St. Paul (64,000), Dallas-Fort Worth (61,000) and Boston (60,000).
Among the 10 metro areas with the largest African-born populations, Nigerians were the most populous group and constituted a high proportion (20 percent or more) of the African-born in the Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston metros. Similarly, Ethiopians were a high proportion and the largest group in the Washington D.C. metro, Cabo Verdeans in Boston, Somalis in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Egyptians in Los Angeles and Liberians in Philadelphia.
Yeah, those numbers were either wrong or old data. I don't have the time to post it now, but as of the latest ACS in 2013, Atlanta is 3rd in foreign born Africans and 3rd in overall population. I have no idea how they got that number for Boston in the other post. No data on Factfinder or elsewhere shows a population that high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top