U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2015, 09:55 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,229,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I just learned today that Miami does have a paw in Africa and Asia after all.

Miami actually does beat Atlanta in one region of Africa and one of Asia as well and we're able to hold Atlanta to a clean sweep in Europe and Latin America (by that I mean we top Atlanta in every region of those continents).

Western Asia (Asia Minor/Middle-East):
1. Miami: 21,716
2. Atlanta: 10,071

Northern Africa:
1. Miami: 7,015
2. Atlanta: 4,029

We're also very competitive with Atlanta in these parts as well;

Southern Africa:
1. Atlanta: 4,395
2. Miami: 3,893

Granted how small both city's African populations are (both are well less than 100,000 total), it doesn't much matter.

Here's the United States census data on that.

Atlanta cannot top Miami in Northern Europe, Eastern Europe, Southern Europe, Western Europe, Caribbean America, North America, South America, Central America. In nearly every single one of those cases, it is a blowout, Miami ahead by several hundreds of thousands of people if applicable.

Atlanta's Asian population is 14th (275,502) largest in the United States, while Miami's is 18th (141,132) largest in the United States. Atlanta's is closer to Miami's than it is to anywhere surpassing half-a-million total (or close to topping half-a-million total) for all intents and purposes in the grand scheme of things. As for Atlanta's African population, Miami's is 19,000 and Atlanta's is 70,000. Honestly, for a continent with over 1 billion people and these two metropolitan being 6 million people, a difference of 50,000 isn't killing anyone. Unbelievable how far some of these posters are going. Asians are the fastest growing group in Miami and all of Florida for that matter by the way, particularly Chinese and Indians - so it is not like Miami's Asian population isn't gaining.

Also, Southeast Florida's start-up scene is coming onto its own rather quickly too now relative to other places in the South Region.

Venture Capital Investment, 2014:
11. Fort Lauderdale: $641.91 Million (off just 7 deals)
14. Atlanta: $495.85 Million (off 59 deals)
Dude just stop it.If you are gonna insist that Miami's African population is as significant as it is in Atlanta then I can't do this with you.
Your post about how you dominate by every region in Europe and then list ony
Southern African and Northern Africa but some reason don't list East Africa and West Africa(the most populous region)tells how biased you are and what you will say to prove a point with no merit.

Miami's Asian population as I posted earlier is one of the lowest gaining population out of major cities.Atlanta has grown more than double that of Miami.
At the current growth Atlanta's Asian populations will be over 10%.
Atlanta's Hispanic population is also growing faster than Miami.While most are from Mexico,Puerto Ricans,Dominicans,and other groups have a faster rate of growth overall than Miami.It will never be more but its not suppose to be.

Atlanta and Miami's overall population is very similar in size.If Miami is 18th and Atlanta 14th it sounds like not major but its close to double.
You look at numbers but the affect is totally different.

For instance:Where do these Africans reside largely?I already asked to no avail about Asians.
Especially when these are VISIBLE communities.

Even with the Caribbean and Brazilians,I can tell you each group and where to find them.

One European nation that Miami does not outnumber Atlanta is Bosnians.There maybe other groups but I dont have the time or patience you obviously do.

So keep posting numbers and downplaying the stark differences.

You love grasping at straws dont you?Venture Capital in a suburb?So low income for the average person,high poverty rate and low educational attainment where many have never even finished high school and this is what you hit me with?LOL

Even though according to your link it says Ft.Lauderdale,Not Miami which is listed at 59th.Yes I know its in its MSA.
All you need is one or two good deals but does not make you a center of investment when you traditionally have not been.I know Miami has never(for that matter Ft.Lauderdale)has never been on any list so its not impressive at all.
Lets revisit this next year.

Sorry but you can post all kinda fact and selectively use those facta ands stats that best support your argiment but it does not change the fact that you are missing a significant part of the worlds population so much that you can't even give me a community where you can find these groups in Miami.
Sorry but your attempts are only smoke and mirrors designed too fool those who don't know any better

Last edited by afonega1; 05-31-2015 at 10:35 PM..

Old 05-31-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah, Floridas Asian population is rapidly growing. The main Regional Asian ethnic groups in South Florida seem to be South/Southeast Asians, like Vietnamese, Thai, Indians, and some Chinese. Seems to be plenty of strip-mall Pho Spots throughout Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade. The main Chinese hub of Miami Dade is North Miami Beach. In Broward, you can find plenty of Pan-Asian themed stripmalls, with large scale Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Indian markets. Broward is pretty diverse.
Its rapidly growing in the entire US.but Miami lags behind in growth.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:54 PM

14,109 posts, read 22,646,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Its rapidly growing in the entire US.but Miami lags behind in growth.
Give it some time. Especially with Asian investors putting their hands in some Miami architectural projects.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Give it some time. Especially with Asian investors putting their hands in some Miami architectural projects.
Brazilians are apparently the largest investors.I don't doubt it will increase but Chinese are different than other richer Asian nations.
Chinese are mainly investing in real estate while Japanese ,Koreans and the like are investing in business in Atlanta.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:07 AM

6,816 posts, read 6,902,293 times
People really overrate trivial things on this forum. Why is Foreign born population so important when it comes to rating cities anyway? Why has there been a 20-30 page argument on something so stupid? Only on City-Data really. Anyone with a brain knows Miami has a higher foreign born population. Atlanta boosters trying to argue this for ages is silly. It's just trivial.

That's certainly is not what went into my decision on which city I chose. I went with factors such as quality of life, economy, future prospects, urbanity(Miami has Atlanta beat, but Atlanta will be the more traditionally built city in the next 20 years. It already has a better, more old world type downtown), etc.

Mexico City seems like a nice urban, dense city and certainly has some great architecture, but that's about it. Maybe one day I'd like to go visit it, but it's not very high on my list. Plenty of places around the world makes it on my bucket list before it does.

I could not live in Miami. Miami Beach is very nice. The beaches are nice. Downtown Miami is starting to come into it's own building the new shopping development among many other great things. The only problem I have is that a lot of the condos don't really have street level retail. City to visit, not to live.

Atlanta, Atlanta, Atlanta...I've expressed my frustrations with this city plenty of times on these forums. Relatively sparse/sprawled....doesn't have that complete traditional urban core, and transit still lacks, but there are a lot of positive to this city honestly. Love the greenery, I think some of it's parks are fantastic(Piedmont Park is one of the most underrated parks in the country...I mean, the designer is the same one who designed Central Park), it's developing some great urban neighborhoods and the beltline is just wonderful. The food scene is really beginning to come through now after decades of relative mediocrity. I think the city is just becoming more livable overall. Atlanta as a CITY(not metro area) was not very livable prior to 2010.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
People really overrate trivial things on this forum. Why is Foreign born population so important when it comes to rating cities anyway? Why has there been a 20-30 page argument on something so stupid? Only on City-Data really. Anyone with a brain knows Miami has a higher foreign born population. Atlanta boosters trying to argue this for ages is silly. It's just trivial.

That's certainly is not what went into my decision on which city I chose. I went with factors such as quality of life, economy, future prospects, urbanity(Miami has Atlanta beat, but Atlanta will be the more traditionally built city in the next 20 years. It already has a better, more old world type downtown), etc.

Mexico City seems like a nice urban, dense city and certainly has some great architecture, but that's about it. Maybe one day I'd like to go visit it, but it's not very high on my list. Plenty of places around the world makes it on my bucket list before it does.

I could not live in Miami. Miami Beach is very nice. The beaches are nice. Downtown Miami is starting to come into it's own building the new shopping development among many other great things. The only problem I have is that a lot of the condos don't really have street level retail. City to visit, not to live.

Atlanta, Atlanta, Atlanta...I've expressed my frustrations with this city plenty of times on these forums. Relatively sparse/sprawled....doesn't have that complete traditional urban core, and transit still lacks, but there are a lot of positive to this city honestly. Love the greenery, I think some of it's parks are fantastic(Piedmont Park is one of the most underrated parks in the country...I mean, the designer is the same one who designed Central Park), it's developing some great urban neighborhoods and the beltline is just wonderful. The food scene is really beginning to come through now after decades of relative mediocrity. I think the city is just becoming more livable overall. Atlanta as a CITY(not metro area) was not very livable prior to 2010.
Not sure what boosters from Atlanta you are referring to or what thread you are reading but not one person has denied Miami as having a extremely high foreign born population.NOT ONE.
I suggest if that what you gather from this thread you go back and read it because your statements are those of someone who has not followed it from the beginning.

The other thing is you are dead wrong for saying Atlanta was not very livable prior to 2010.The city grew mor then that it has between 2010 and now.'Its largest building boom was before the recession so I just dont see how it was more lveable but nothn has changed as much other than there was no Beltline.

Also the foos scene had falle off for a couple of year but Atlanta even in the mid to late 90's had many national top rated restaurants.It was more than or as much as there are today,

Old 06-01-2015, 08:59 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,581,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Not sure what boosters from Atlanta you are referring to or what thread you are reading
He is talking about you and others for continuing to try argue 2 + 2 = 5, in other words Atlanta is somehow more diverse, international, or globally connected than Miami. It's not even close for us to be arguing.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:24 AM

29,522 posts, read 26,987,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
He is talking about you and others for continuing to try argue 2 + 2 = 5, in other words Atlanta is somehow more diverse, international, or globally connected than Miami.
No, this discussion over those issues began because you claimed that Atlanta had absolutely no global connections, which is patently false.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:39 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,581,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No, this discussion over those issues began because you claimed that Atlanta had absolutely no global connections, which is patently false.
Let's take a look at what I said:

Quote:
Mexico City I have to see, so I won't vote for it, but as a city it doesn't appeal to me really. It's landlocked, gigantic but without the international flair and prestige of NYC. Sure it has a great many cultural amenities, but I imagine it to be the Mexican version of Tokyo, big but thoroughly Mexican in and out.

Miami is the only city on this list that is coastal, with beautiful beaches. It has a flair I don't imagine Mexico City to match, and definitely Atlanta does not. And it's very international, and globally connected in a way Atlanta, and I also doubt Mexico City, are.

So be that as it may, I go with Miami. I mean I live here, but I would say the something if I didn't.
And that was my first post, later after Atlanta boosters began screaming about your handful of Asians:

Quote:
Miami is globally connected to Latin America and to a lesser extent Europe, Atlanta is globally connected to no one. Not Latin America, not Europe, not Asia, not Africa.
I didn't say Atlanta had no global connections just that you're not globally connected to any one region outside of the USA. The sanctions on Russia actually hurt Miami real estate prices as a lot of Russian investors stopped buying. Events in Latin America, especially in countries like Cuba, Haiti, Venezuela, and Brazil are prime pieces of news in Miami when they'd be buried on some back page anywhere else. Are you telling me there is any region outside of the USA that affects Atlanta's day in day out lives? Or do you have just a bunch of Asian foot spas and Ghanese cabbies?

Old 06-01-2015, 09:55 AM

29,522 posts, read 26,987,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I didn't say Atlanta had no global connections just that you're not globally connected to any one region outside of the USA. The sanctions on Russia actually hurt Miami real estate prices as a lot of Russian investors stopped buying. Events in Latin America, especially in countries like Cuba, Haiti, Venezuela, and Brazil are prime pieces of news in Miami when they'd be buried on some back page anywhere else. Are you telling me there is any region outside of the USA that affects Atlanta's day in day out lives? Or do you have just a bunch of Asian foot spas and Ghanese cabbies?
When you say that Atlanta is globally connected to no one, that's the same as saying that it has no global connections to me. Otherwise you could have easily said that Atlanta doesn't have several major connections to any one particular continent which would be accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or