U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2015, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
5,796 posts, read 6,353,175 times
Reputation: 3135

Advertisements

Some wise person (not me) earlier in this thread reminded us to compare this cities for someone looking to move there. We can assume that this means someone is not planning to move to one of these cities as broke, destitute, or with plans to be homeless. Sure, having high poverty in an area should affect all its residents/citizens and also bad things could happen to any one of us that might leave us in a tough situation, but I find it silly to compare the worst situations against the worst situations in a thread that isn't specifically asking for that (i.e., is it better to be homeless in x or y)

The more I read in this discussion the more I feel my hunch that DF/MC would be my top choice is correct. And I am literally invested in Miami and Atlanta, so I do like both a lot.

 
Old 05-15-2015, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,785 posts, read 12,761,529 times
Reputation: 5448
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
If you are an American citizen who moved to Mexico and didn't renig on your citizenship, but is planning on staying in Mexico for a long time, you are an expat. That's not a judgement, that's reality despite the fact that I understand your point about the usual Anglo-centric view of that word.

And yes, I am assuming a lot about you (perhaps you can share to provide context as it would be interesting topic to the conversation), but I spent many years as an non-Anglo expat (I'm blasian) in Asia to further my career. On my first full day of overseas residence, it was as clear as day that the rules that applied to everyone else didn't apply to me. I don't want to judge you, but from your posts it seems as if you do not see the correlation between your current QOL in Mexico and being an American, no matter your economic bracket.

But please, feel free to elaborate. I do not aim to discount the personal experience of any person.
There is no legal difference between calling someone an expat vs. an immigrant because both terms involve relocation to another country to live. Expat has just become popular because it has less negative connotations for some, and it seems to be used more frequently with those who don't actually plan to stay permanently in the new country. Since I have no plans to move back, and I live and work here legally, I'm an immigrant.

I have no financial advantages. No savings account, no retirement packages, no insurance, no family back in the US I can really turn to if things fall apart. I work paycheck to paycheck like pretty much everyone else here, and my wages are perhaps a bit above average for the type of work I do (restaurant), but I am only barely middle class, and only according to Mexican standards, not the US, in which I would be living in poverty. I don't own a car and couldn't afford one if I wanted to. I live in a decent house in an okay neighborhood, but not without roommates. Perhaps the singular advantage of being from the US I have here is that I speak English, so I've been able to give the occasional class.

Basically, I'm not here because my finances are so much better, because they are literally worse in many ways. But I also find I have access to more things here just because the cost of living is better, and there is just a vastly different culture in which much more is possible with a lot less, and that is true for Mexicans or immigrants alike. It's difficult to explain until you've lived here.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 11:58 AM
 
6,795 posts, read 6,597,193 times
Reputation: 5411
Atlanta's downtown feels far more traditional in the "old urban" sense than Miami's does. To say Miami has better preserved it's historic buildings is ridiculous. Again, people are always making slights at Atlanta as if it has no old buildings and all of it's buildings were built in the 1970s or later. You can almost tell who has done their research on Atlanta or has been to Atlanta and those who have not.

Anyone who has been to Atlanta and Miami will tell you almost instantly Atlanta's downtown feels more walkable and compact. Atlanta may not be the most walkable city, but it still has a rather compact downtown with small streets(some surprisingly narrow) and historic buildings(including an intact historic district...hell Sweet Auburn part of downtown still has a ton of older building).
 
Old 05-15-2015, 12:46 PM
 
1,039 posts, read 822,294 times
Reputation: 1140
Would not live in Mexico City. Atlanta #1, Miami #2.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,482,046 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
A 'cosmopolitan" city should be worldly in its offerings but Miami is so "Latin-Centric" or "Spanish-Centric"Just because it attracts many nationalities does not make it "cosmopolitan"automatically.
Miami is Latin and European centric. There are tons of offerings for Europeans, and tons of Europeans take vacations here in Miami Beach. It offers less for Asians, and Africans I guess but that's changing as well.

Meanwhile Atlanta doesn't offer anything outside of American culture. It's an American city that caters to (black) American culture.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,868,346 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Ah yes, when I want information without sources, I go to Baptist Standard. What next, a claim of 50 million rapes courtesy of Weekly World News?

Let's be honest, you have convinced yourself that Mexico City is terribly beneath you and you validate that position with trash beliefs. I'm the one living here on the ground. I'm the one facing whatever real problems exist because I see them. You don't have to tell me what they are, I see them every day. But you are so far off base and out of your league on this. But by all means, believe what you want. If C-D is known for anything, it's all the armchair experts.
Look just stop it because you don't know me.I think Mexico City is a wonderful place but you ignore every source that does not fit your idea of what it is.You acting like its Utopia is crazy.
Every source I could find says Mexico City ranks in the world as one of the top cites for homelessness,Especially children.

I made several comments asking you about things and you ignore them because you simply cannot deny the evidence.
YOU brought up Atlanta in many occasions.I said in Atlanta,you can go to Buckhead which is one of the wealthiest communities in America and drive on streets where huge palatial mansions line up and down the with many them without gates and guards.
You insist crime is no worse than in America but gave no explanation as to why the wealthy feel the need to take such measures in Mexico City.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 02:49 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,797 posts, read 11,736,662 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpmiami View Post
meanwhile atlanta doesn't offer anything outside of american culture. It's an american city that caters to (black) american culture.
lol
 
Old 05-15-2015, 03:02 PM
 
27,767 posts, read 24,803,389 times
Reputation: 16479
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Meanwhile Atlanta doesn't offer anything outside of American culture. It's an American city that caters to (black) American culture.
False. Metro Atlanta has one of the fastest-growing Korean populations in the country and it also has sizable African and Afo-Caribbean communities as well. Suburban Gwinnett County, with a population of almost 900K, is easily one of the most diverse, if not THE most diverse, counties in the Southeast.

Top 5 Most Korean-American Cities: Atlanta | Koreabridge
Atlanta often first stop for African immigrants chasing dreams | Online Athens
Statistical Portrait of the U.S. Black Immigrant Population | Pew Research Center
 
Old 05-15-2015, 03:06 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,797 posts, read 11,736,662 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
False. Metro Atlanta has one of the fastest-growing Korean populations in the country and it also has sizable African and Afo-Caribbean communities as well. Suburban Gwinnett County, with a population of almost 900K, is easily one of the most diverse, if not THE most diverse, counties in the Southeast.

Top 5 Most Korean-American Cities: Atlanta | Koreabridge
Atlanta often first stop for African immigrants chasing dreams | Online Athens
Statistical Portrait of the U.S. Black Immigrant Population | Pew Research Center
And don't forget Latino culture. While we are not even in the same ballpark as Miami, we're hurtling towards 1 million latinos in the metro at a breakneck pace. We should be there or close by decades end.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,868,346 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Some wise person (not me) earlier in this thread reminded us to compare this cities for someone looking to move there. We can assume that this means someone is not planning to move to one of these cities as broke, destitute, or with plans to be homeless. Sure, having high poverty in an area should affect all its residents/citizens and also bad things could happen to any one of us that might leave us in a tough situation, but I find it silly to compare the worst situations against the worst situations in a thread that isn't specifically asking for that (i.e., is it better to be homeless in x or y)

The more I read in this discussion the more I feel my hunch that DF/MC would be my top choice is correct. And I am literally invested in Miami and Atlanta, so I do like both a lot.
Your opinion but Its not silly at all.If this was NYC-Miami-Atlanta question .It would not even be close.Obviously the problems of MC are enough to where this poll would be so close.
Lets face it.Different strokes for different folks.

Rio De Jinero has the exact same issues but I want to go there more than any place next.
There a reason MC is barely winning this poll.Many people on CD are well traveled so I cant see why they would hate on MC unless these issues really are worth considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top