U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2015, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,864,809 times
Reputation: 2908

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Miami is Latin and European centric. There are tons of offerings for Europeans, and tons of Europeans take vacations here in Miami Beach. It offers less for Asians, and Africans I guess but that's changing as well.

Meanwhile Atlanta doesn't offer anything outside of American culture. It's an American city that caters to (black) American culture.
Exactly.Its and American City.Is Miami not?

Stupid and erroneous remark but so what if it did cater to black Americans?Why is that bad?

 
Old 05-15-2015, 03:44 PM
 
Location: City of Atlanta
2,587 posts, read 1,498,440 times
Reputation: 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Meanwhile Atlanta doesn't offer anything outside of American culture. It's an American city that caters to (black) American culture.
Lolling pretty hard at this.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,864,809 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Lolling pretty hard at this.
He;s just lashing out.I think hes smarter than that
 
Old 05-15-2015, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,864,809 times
Reputation: 2908
Mexico To Launch Anti-Kidnapping Campaign

But Im making stufff up......
 
Old 05-15-2015, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,479 posts, read 7,717,281 times
Reputation: 7295
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Exactly.Its and American City.Is Miami not?
I agree, Miami is THE American city.

Miami is North American, South American, Caribbean American, Central American, All-American, Argentine-American, Chilean-American, Bolivian-American, every sort of American. Fewer all around American cities out there as American as Miami; if the context of America is the entire Western Hemisphere at-large that is (Continents of North & South America).

It is the benefit of being the converging point of the Americas on the Floridian Peninsula.

Pretty much any city or town of any noteworthy value in the entire Western Hemisphere (the Americas) has a gate into and/or out of Miami. Look at the ring of destination service airports in the Caribbean region, or the piaffe stranglehold it has over South America for example. Miami also has expats from pretty much any noteworthy sized town or city in the Western Hemisphere - with them have come financial investment, real estate investment, art investment, athletics investment, logistical demand, and media and/or entertainment investment. For example, Miami plays a role in nearly every major film industry/media outlet in the Western Hemisphere - with varying degrees of involvement in each respectively.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 05-15-2015 at 04:28 PM..
 
Old 05-15-2015, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,864,809 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I agree, Miami is THE American city.

Miami is North American, South American, Caribbean American, Central American, All-American, Argentine-American, Chilean-American, Bolivian-American, every sort of American. Fewer all around American cities out there as American as Miami; if the context of America is the entire Western Hemisphere at-large that is (Continents of North & South America).

It is the benefit of being the converging point of the Americas on the Floridian Peninsula.

Pretty much any city or town of any noteworthy value in the entire Western Hemisphere (the Americas) has a gate into and/or out of Miami. Look at the ring of destination service airports in the Caribbean region, or the piaffe stranglehold it has over South America for example. Miami also has expats from pretty much any noteworthy sized town or city in the Western Hemisphere - with them have come financial investment, real estate investment, art investment, athletics investment, logistical demand, and media and/or entertainment investment. For example, Miami plays a role in nearly every major film industry/media outlet in the Western Hemisphere - with varying degrees of involvement in each respectively.
Keep telling yourself that.Miami role is limited to the Caribbean and Latin America.Hardly "the world".

The number one turn off for Americans who visit Miami is the need to know Spanish.This is America.We speak English.
If "Americans" are not largely present then how on Earth can a city be "quintessentially" American?

Chicago is quintessentially American. Miami is nowhere near it .

Most of your post is nothing more than conjecture.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,481,056 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Exactly.Its and American City.Is Miami not?

Stupid and erroneous remark but so what if it did cater to black Americans?Why is that bad?
No Miami is not an American city. By American I mean USA. It's not because you need to know spanish, there are other cities where that's true, however the mentality here is rather different which is why many white Americans don't like to live in Miami but prefer PBC.

But that's why I love Miami. I'm an European-American, and I feel the culture here to be more comfortable for me. And this is why Miami is head and shoulders more cosmopolitan than Atlanta (a city I lived in btw).

And nothing is wrong catering to American culture, and black American culture. But it shows you're not a cosmopolitan city. You're some regional American city with regional American interests.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 06:38 PM
Status: "Ready for Fall" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Atlanta
4,646 posts, read 3,017,092 times
Reputation: 3862
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
No Miami is not an American city. By American I mean USA. It's not because you need to know spanish, there are other cities where that's true, however the mentality here is rather different which is why many white Americans don't like to live in Miami but prefer PBC.

But that's why I love Miami. I'm an European-American, and I feel the culture here to be more comfortable for me. And this is why Miami is head and shoulders more cosmopolitan than Atlanta (a city I lived in btw).

And nothing is wrong catering to American culture, and black American culture. But it shows you're not a cosmopolitan city. You're some regional American city with regional American interests.
You are downplaying Atlanta. This place caters to way more than black American culture, but if you lived here you already knew that. Our gay population is huge, and our Asian community dwarfs South Florida's.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,864,809 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
No Miami is not an American city. By American I mean USA. It's not because you need to know spanish, there are other cities where that's true, however the mentality here is rather different which is why many white Americans don't like to live in Miami but prefer PBC.

But that's why I love Miami. I'm an European-American, and I feel the culture here to be more comfortable for me. And this is why Miami is head and shoulders more cosmopolitan than Atlanta (a city I lived in btw).

And nothing is wrong catering to American culture, and black American culture. But it shows you're not a cosmopolitan city. You're some regional American city with regional American interests.
So basically catering to black culture is not "cosmopolitan" but caterin to Latin/Hispanic culture is?

That shows your ignorance.You even acknowledge that Miami is lacking for African Americans And Asians yet then you go on talking about how its cosmopolitan.

Atlanta is barely majoriity African American and in the metro its by far more white.yet you go about Atlanta "catering" to balcks DESPITE all facts presented.

Just HOW does Atlanta cater more to blacks than anone else.Just curious because right now Im sitting in my living room with 3 Germans,1 Brazilian.1 Turkish2 Indian-American myself watching the Atlanta Hawks game.
Ill eagerly wait your answer.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,481,056 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
So basically catering to black culture is not "cosmopolitan" but caterin to Latin/Hispanic culture is?

That shows your ignorance.You even acknowledge that Miami is lacking for African Americans And Asians yet then you go on talking about how its cosmopolitan.

Atlanta is barely majoriity African American and in the metro its by far more white.yet you go about Atlanta "catering" to balcks DESPITE all facts presented.

Just HOW does Atlanta cater more to blacks than anone else.Just curious because right now Im sitting in my living room with 3 Germans,1 Brazilian.1 Turkish2 Indian-American myself watching the Atlanta Hawks game.
Ill eagerly wait your answer.
It's very simply you see this issue as an American: white, black, etc.

I see this more as a foreigner, there are white Americans, black Americans but also foreign whites, foreign blacks.

Look at the foreign born of both cities and you get the picture. Atlanta is dominated by American culture whether that culture is white (good ole' southern) or black. Miami is dominated by foreign (aka cosmopolitan cultures) whether it's Cuban, Brazilian, Argentinian or on the flip side Russian, Italian or Bulgarian.

Who is in your room is not my concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top