Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 02:42 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I won't get in to a back and forth about the merits of one city over another, but there is a something that's being left about Mexico City: It's a great place to live so long as you are rich/upper middle class. For everyone else, it sucks balls.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to single out Mexico City here. This is a problem for every big city in this world that isn't in the US, Canada, Japan, or Western Europe. Even if you work hard and are educated, unless you have money your life is basically filled with all kinds of crap that most people in this country can't imagine. From poor housing conditions, substandard infrastructure, stifling traffic, to crime (which is on another level in Mexico) it takes away from the truly great things about that city.
Yup. People in this thread are exposing their absolute ignorance. Atlanta crushes Mexico City as far as quality of life, its not even a question.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:51 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
I won't get in to a back and forth about the merits of one city over another, but there is a something that's being left about Mexico City: It's a great place to live so long as you are rich/upper middle class. For everyone else, it sucks balls.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to single out Mexico City here. This is a problem for every big city in this world that isn't in the US, Canada, Japan, or Western Europe. Even if you work hard and are educated, unless you have money your life is basically filled with all kinds of crap that most people in this country can't imagine. From poor housing conditions, substandard infrastructure, stifling traffic, to crime (which is on another level in Mexico) it takes away from the truly great things about that city.
Which is my point I have tried to convey but somehow often flaws in American cities are apart of the criticism but overlooked at cities like Mexico City because they are "exotic".
Mexico city is great to visit but hardly a great city to live in by many merits.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:12 PM

I just find it strange how cities like Atlanta get constant criticism by some becuase its not as diverse,and has crime issues and those same people go on about how great a big city in a third world country with soaring poverty and among the worlds largest homeless populations is somehow considered great because it has nice public architecture and museums

Old 05-12-2015, 03:32 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:

I am not rich/upper middle class and I live pretty great. I really don't know what you're talking about.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Which is my point I have tried to convey but somehow often flaws in American cities are apart of the criticism but overlooked at cities like Mexico City because they are "exotic".
Mexico city is great to visit but hardly a great city to live in by many merits.
You mean all the merits you got wrong over in the other thread? Still selling misinformation and calling it fact.

I have to say, Atlanta posters are right up there with Clevelanders as to being defensive when their city isn't #1 on a list.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I just find it strange how cities like Atlanta get constant criticism by some becuase its not as diverse,and has crime issues and those same people go on about how great a big city in a third world country with soaring poverty and among the worlds largest homeless populations is somehow considered great because it has nice public architecture and museums
Atlanta has a near 25% poverty rate.... in the richest nation on earth. And a higher murder rate to boot. Fix your own problems before commenting on things you don't know.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:06 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You mean all the merits you got wrong over in the other thread? Still selling misinformation and calling it fact.

I have to say, Atlanta posters are right up there with Clevelanders as to being defensive when their city isn't #1 on a list.
accurate

Old 05-12-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Atlanta has a near 25% poverty rate.... in the richest nation on earth. And a higher murder rate to boot. Fix your own problems before commenting on things you don't know.
So Im lying?So when will you prove me wrong?Why is there Mexico City on evey list of cities with the most homeless?
Why are over 40% of the population poor ?Atlanta poverty rate is rght there with cities like Miami,Houston,Dallas,Charlotte etc.
Dont get ma at me because you cant acknowledge the negatives as well as the positives of living in your city.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
So Im lying?So when will you prove me wrong?Why is there Mexico City on evey list of cities with the most homeless?
Why are over 40% of the population poor ?Atlanta poverty rate is rght there with cities like Miami,Houston,Dallas,Charlotte etc.
Dont get ma at me because you cant acknowledge the negatives as well as the positives of living in your city.
I recognize there are a lot of poor people in Mexico. This is truly breaking news. Why are there so many in Atlanta? Or any of those cities for that matter?

I just don't get your criticism of poverty elsewhere when it's clearly a problem where you live. At least harp on a problem your city doesn't share.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:12 PM

19 posts, read 20,570 times
Atlanta is the city for the rich and those that serve them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City