U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2015, 02:07 PM
 
Location: First Hill, Seattle
5,470 posts, read 5,783,610 times
Reputation: 7191

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
So nobody thinks Memphis belongs in this conversation?
No, because Memphis isn't one of the three cities the OP is visiting this summer, so it's irrelevant to topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2015, 03:04 PM
 
2,195 posts, read 2,148,742 times
Reputation: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Says the KC wonk and nobody else! How about you list all the great local bands and venues in KC, and why specifically they are superior to what is offered in St Louis, Louisville, Detroit and Memphis?
Plenty of other people will tell you the exact same thing. It might behoove you to take a second and remember that this forum is not very representative of the real world and the opinions in it.

And how about I don't waste our time. Your mind is made up, as is mine. KC's music scene is not moribund. I think it is better and livelier that StL's, especially at the local music level. I think they are both better than Louisville at every level of music, from festivals to local bar bands to symphonies. I don't think Louisville is any where near as nice a town as either KC or StL, I think music in Memphis is commendable for its omni-presence but is fairly lame as a whole, and I think Detroit's music scene is actually moribund, especilly given the city's size, and also pretty lame.

You can disagree, but it doesn't really mean anything, except you disagree. There's no way to quantify or really even qualify it. It's music. It's a taste thing, not a personal attack. Grow a little thicker skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2015, 11:24 PM
 
6,297 posts, read 13,187,373 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Louisville is a top 10 music city on one single list (that I've found so far)... I googled this as I'm not an expert on this at all, and I know full well who you are (Thanks for calling the others "shelled out," you can't just be a constant Louisville booster, you have to put the others down... while amusingly being defensive saying people will bash Louisville because of its state...), and I couldn't even find a single other list that even mentioned Louisville, and some of these went to 25-30 cities! I scrolled through a bunch of google results to read these stupid lists that I hate, so where is all of this recognition? I don't think most lists like these are very useful at all, but what am I missing?

I'm not saying it's not a good music city, its great food scene certainly flies under the radar, but I'm not really seeing what you're saying.
So you are saying STL is not shelled out? Come on my friend. So Is Louisville, but not nearly to the extent of STL. Louisville is just a more "hot" city right now and its population growth, vibrancy, music scene, and even restaurants surpass St. Louis. I am no more a Louisville booster than you are a STL booster.

STL has a lot to love...history, art, world class parks and museums...but it is just not the same city it was even 30 years ago.

Louisville is on nearly every one of these lists. Don't get jealous. What I find is people from "larger" rust belt metros love to hate on cities like Louisville and Nashville.

15 Best Cities for Creative 20-Somethings Other Than New York - Mic

This is only a fraction of the recent pub on Louisville. If you haven't been lately, prepare for a shock.

https://louisvilleky.gov/government/...uzz-louisville

There are 6 hotels under construction in downtown Louisville. Tower cranes are everywhere....infill is going up in every urban neighborhood. Prep work has begun on the new 30 story omni hotel and luxury apartment tower.

Here is the design for the new downtown Omni Louisville - Insider Louisville

You talk the talk and give the STL is bigger and better argument but yet you link no articles to back up your claims.

And you guys downplay Louisville's music scene based on what? I want to know what music festival in downtown STL, in a top 10 ranked urban waterfront park, draws 60-80,000 visitors annually and some of the coolest indie bands around? You let me know and then I will concede to you. And please don't say loufest. It was founded years after Forecastle and modeled after it and Lollapalooza in Chicago. Again, since I love Louisville, I cannot help but love STL. They are sister river cities. But Louisville just has more going for it, especially pound for pound. You also don't see the race problems like Ferguson over here.

http://forecastlefest.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 01:45 AM
 
Location: Paris
1,671 posts, read 1,920,989 times
Reputation: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
So you are saying STL is not shelled out? Come on my friend. So Is Louisville, but not nearly to the extent of STL. Louisville is just a more "hot" city right now and its population growth, vibrancy, music scene, and even restaurants surpass St. Louis. I am no more a Louisville booster than you are a STL booster.

STL has a lot to love...history, art, world class parks and museums...but it is just not the same city it was even 30 years ago.

Louisville is on nearly every one of these lists. Don't get jealous. What I find is people from "larger" rust belt metros love to hate on cities like Louisville and Nashville.

15 Best Cities for Creative 20-Somethings Other Than New York - Mic

This is only a fraction of the recent pub on Louisville. If you haven't been lately, prepare for a shock.

https://louisvilleky.gov/government/...uzz-louisville

There are 6 hotels under construction in downtown Louisville. Tower cranes are everywhere....infill is going up in every urban neighborhood. Prep work has begun on the new 30 story omni hotel and luxury apartment tower.

Here is the design for the new downtown Omni Louisville - Insider Louisville

You talk the talk and give the STL is bigger and better argument but yet you link no articles to back up your claims.

And you guys downplay Louisville's music scene based on what? I want to know what music festival in downtown STL, in a top 10 ranked urban waterfront park, draws 60-80,000 visitors annually and some of the coolest indie bands around? You let me know and then I will concede to you. And please don't say loufest. It was founded years after Forecastle and modeled after it and Lollapalooza in Chicago. Again, since I love Louisville, I cannot help but love STL. They are sister river cities. But Louisville just has more going for it, especially pound for pound. You also don't see the race problems like Ferguson over here.

The Forecastle Festival | July 17th - 19th | Louisville, Kentucky
Can you actually address the content of my post please? You're now talking about hotels, population growth, race, lists with totally different subjects (waterfront parks? creative 20 somethings...) (you know you can find these for just about any city/subject, right?), etc. I'm not even going to debate any of these things as they are not at all the subject of this thread, which is only asking about music and related places to go (start a thread for it if you want and then we can). Stay focused or just don't directly quote me please, especially in your "you guys" talk as I'm not downplaying anything about Louisville's music scene.

You say it's a top ten US city for music but the only list I can find it on is the one you posted which has quite a few deviations (other lists more consistently were picking the same cities) from what seems to be the norm. As I said I'm not an expert here. I've never even heard of your festival and I haven't been to one in the US for a while; I am however familiar with historical contributions of the cities so I was just curious and things didn't seem to line up with what your saying on my brief research. There is no need to start bringing up your Louisville vs. rust belt cities thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,165,858 times
Reputation: 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Plenty of other people will tell you the exact same thing. It might behoove you to take a second and remember that this forum is not very representative of the real world and the opinions in it.

And how about I don't waste our time. Your mind is made up, as is mine. KC's music scene is not moribund. I think it is better and livelier that StL's, especially at the local music level. I think they are both better than Louisville at every level of music, from festivals to local bar bands to symphonies. I don't think Louisville is any where near as nice a town as either KC or StL, I think music in Memphis is commendable for its omni-presence but is fairly lame as a whole, and I think Detroit's music scene is actually moribund, especilly given the city's size, and also pretty lame.

You can disagree, but it doesn't really mean anything, except you disagree. There's no way to quantify or really even qualify it. It's music. It's a taste thing, not a personal attack. Grow a little thicker skin.
The above proves 2 things absolutely. 1) You will back your city at the expense of anything, including reality. 2) You don't know anything about music.

Detroit birthed a genre (techno). It was home to arguably the most powerful collection of black music talent in rock history (Motown). While most rock music was suffering from bloat, it was, along with neighbor Ohio, the epicenter of proto-punk, with the Stooges/MC5 axis influencing literally every punk band ever (Ramones, Sex Pistols, Saints, doesn't matter where in the world). It had one of the best and best-known hardcore scenes in the country (and Touch & Go magazine - Fix, Negative Approach, Meatmen, Necros, Crici****s, etc.). The 90s/2000s garage revival was centered in Detroit and Memphis, and taken to fame by local bands like the White Stripes. Currently, it's home to the most consistently creative and unique local rock scene in the country, which isn't saying a lot at this point, but it's true.

This is not even mentioning Kid Rock, Insane Clown Posse, Nugent, and others who are incredibly popular and influential (but arguably not "good"). Here are some Detroit RnR Hall of Famers: Bill Haley, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, Jackie Wilson, the Supremes, the Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Hank Ballard, the Four Tops, Gladys Knight & The Pips, John Lee Hooker, Alice Cooper, Wilson Pickett, Martha & The Vandellas, Little Willie John, Parliament-Funkadelic, James Jamerson, Holland-Dozier-Holland, Bob Seger, Glenn Frey, The Stooges, Berry Gordy and Patti Smith.

I'm sorry, but if Detroit has been "lame musically" "for its size," what of every other metro in the country? Where else has remained consistently relevent over the last decades like Detroit and Memphis? And how does KC come anywhere near Detroit or Memphis "for music?" Sorry bud, but KC hasn't had anything interesting in generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 01:28 PM
 
2,195 posts, read 2,148,742 times
Reputation: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
The above proves 2 things absolutely. 1) You will back your city at the expense of anything, including reality. 2) You don't know anything about music.

Detroit birthed a genre (techno). It was home to arguably the most powerful collection of black music talent in rock history (Motown). While most rock music was suffering from bloat, it was, along with neighbor Ohio, the epicenter of proto-punk, with the Stooges/MC5 axis influencing literally every punk band ever (Ramones, Sex Pistols, Saints, doesn't matter where in the world). It had one of the best and best-known hardcore scenes in the country (and Touch & Go magazine - Fix, Negative Approach, Meatmen, Necros, Crici****s, etc.). The 90s/2000s garage revival was centered in Detroit and Memphis, and taken to fame by local bands like the White Stripes. Currently, it's home to the most consistently creative and unique local rock scene in the country, which isn't saying a lot at this point, but it's true.

This is not even mentioning Kid Rock, Insane Clown Posse, Nugent, and others who are incredibly popular and influential (but arguably not "good"). Here are some Detroit RnR Hall of Famers: Bill Haley, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, Jackie Wilson, the Supremes, the Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Hank Ballard, the Four Tops, Gladys Knight & The Pips, John Lee Hooker, Alice Cooper, Wilson Pickett, Martha & The Vandellas, Little Willie John, Parliament-Funkadelic, James Jamerson, Holland-Dozier-Holland, Bob Seger, Glenn Frey, The Stooges, Berry Gordy and Patti Smith.

I'm sorry, but if Detroit has been "lame musically" "for its size," what of every other metro in the country? Where else has remained consistently relevent over the last decades like Detroit and Memphis? And how does KC come anywhere near Detroit or Memphis "for music?" Sorry bud, but KC hasn't had anything interesting in generations.
Cool. Seems like a reasoned argument about relative influence, the unquantifiable nature of taste and the futility of arguing an entirely, completely and unequivocally subjective topic would totally persuade you.

I bet you would definitely not stoop to an ad hominem response, then proceed to make all my points for me by accident. I should probably invest my time in that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,165,858 times
Reputation: 2854
"I don't have a leg to stand on, and lack enough information to generate even a chimera of a counterpoint"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 01:33 PM
 
2,195 posts, read 2,148,742 times
Reputation: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
"I don't have a leg to stand on, and lack enough information to generate even a chimera of a counterpoint"
Pithy riposte. You are an internet intellect of the highest order. Keep up the good work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,165,858 times
Reputation: 2854
Let's see the defense of your positions - I haven't even seen the name of a single club or musician yet, let alone a salient point beyond "sez you." Or anything showing you have any sort of grasp on this nation's music history or the current scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2015, 07:39 AM
 
2,195 posts, read 2,148,742 times
Reputation: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Let's see the defense of your positions - I haven't even seen the name of a single club or musician yet, let alone a salient point beyond "sez you." Or anything showing you have any sort of grasp on this nation's music history or the current scene.
Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top