U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 04:55 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,339,731 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting these three cities over the summer, and I was wondering which is the best for music. I personally listen to rock and jazz, but I think for the sake of the thread, we should include all genres of music. I've spent about couple weeks in Louisville, I've only driven through St. Louis, and I've never been to KCMO.

Are there any iconic, institutional dancehalls, theatres, or clubs that stand out?
Where do up-and-coming local bands play?
What tourist traps should be avoided?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 08:18 PM

6,298 posts, read 13,191,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I'll be visiting these three cities over the summer, and I was wondering which is the best for music. I personally listen to rock and jazz, but I think for the sake of the thread, we should include all genres of music. I've spent about couple weeks in Louisville, I've only driven through St. Louis, and I've never been to KCMO.

Are there any iconic, institutional dancehalls, theatres, or clubs that stand out?
Where do up-and-coming local bands play?
What tourist traps should be avoided?
This is a close call. I vote Louisville just because it has been ranked higher nationally and I have spent time in MO and I am just not impressed as they are more "shelled out" cities because they were historically larger. Louisville retains a very charming feel and indie vibe.

These Are America's Best Music Scenes - TIME

Louisville is a top 10 music city. The MO cities are not. Now I am sure there will be some Louisville bashers come in here, since it is located in KY and generally has a negative image. However, the city has an awesome arts and music scene.

The Forecastle Festival | July 17th - 19th | Louisville, Kentucky

The above is the best festival in this area outside Bonnaroo, and is the best urban music festival outside Lollapalooza in the Midwest (I would throw in Summerfest in Milwaukee).

Old 06-02-2015, 08:54 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,167,830 times
KC has a moribund current local scene. St Louis is a bit livelier. Chuck Berry used to perform regularly locally, but he's pretty old and doesn't seem to get out much anymore. I would say Louisville by a bit. Not a great local scene, but not a bad one, and a nicer town. All have some strong musical histories.

I personally would recommend Memphis and Detroit (instead) in terms of current local musical strength as well as historical, but both cities are...pretty rough. Doesn't bother me, but might make others uncomfortable. Though you did also list St Louis, so....

Old 06-02-2015, 11:08 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,150,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
KC has a moribund current local scene.

St Louis is a bit livelier.

I would say Louisville by a bit. Not a great local scene, but not a bad one,

and a nicer town.

I personally would recommend Memphis

and Detroit (instead) in terms of current local musical strength ..
Disagree.

Disagree.

Disagree.

Disagree strongly.

Disagree, but I can see how a certain type of fan would think so.

Disagree.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:19 PM

Says the KC wonk and nobody else! How about you list all the great local bands and venues in KC, and why specifically they are superior to what is offered in St Louis, Louisville, Detroit and Memphis?

Old 06-03-2015, 12:11 PM

1,671 posts, read 1,921,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
This is a close call. I vote Louisville just because it has been ranked higher nationally and I have spent time in MO and I am just not impressed as they are more "shelled out" cities because they were historically larger. Louisville retains a very charming feel and indie vibe.

These Are America's Best Music Scenes - TIME

Louisville is a top 10 music city. The MO cities are not. Now I am sure there will be some Louisville bashers come in here, since it is located in KY and generally has a negative image. However, the city has an awesome arts and music scene.

The Forecastle Festival | July 17th - 19th | Louisville, Kentucky

The above is the best festival in this area outside Bonnaroo, and is the best urban music festival outside Lollapalooza in the Midwest (I would throw in Summerfest in Milwaukee).
Louisville is a top 10 music city on one single list (that I've found so far)... I googled this as I'm not an expert on this at all, and I know full well who you are (Thanks for calling the others "shelled out," you can't just be a constant Louisville booster, you have to put the others down... while amusingly being defensive saying people will bash Louisville because of its state...), and I couldn't even find a single other list that even mentioned Louisville, and some of these went to 25-30 cities! I scrolled through a bunch of google results to read these stupid lists that I hate, so where is all of this recognition? I don't think most lists like these are very useful at all, but what am I missing?

I'm not saying it's not a good music city, its great food scene certainly flies under the radar, but I'm not really seeing what you're saying.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Louisville is a top 10 music city on one single list (that I've found so far)... I googled this as I'm not an expert on this at all, and I know full well who you are (Thanks for calling the others "shelled out," you can't just be a constant Louisville booster, you have to put the others down... while amusingly being defensive saying people will bash Louisville because of its state...), and I couldn't even find a single other list that even mentioned Louisville, and some of these went to 25-30 cities! I scrolled through a bunch of google results to read these stupid lists that I hate, so where is all of this recognition? I don't think most lists like these are very useful at all, but what am I missing?

I'm not saying it's not a good music city, its great food scene certainly flies under the radar, but I'm not really seeing what you're saying.
Right, none of these are current hotspots, though Louisville does far better than St Louis, which is slightly above KCMO.

I find it funny that 1) anyone would use Time as a barometer of any sort of current "cool," or anything really, and 2) LA is #6 (not even close) Houston is near the top (WHAT) and Detroit is one from the bottom? Come on. There hasn't been a better city for local music over the last few decades than Detroit, and I'm talking worldwide.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:40 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,436,195 times
So nobody thinks Memphis belongs in this conversation?

Old 06-03-2015, 12:54 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,535,340 times
I'm not trying to down Louisville, but St. Louis has produced far more well known music acts than Louisville and its really not even close.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
So nobody thinks Memphis belongs in this conversation?
*cough*

Quote:
KC has a moribund current local scene. St Louis is a bit livelier. Chuck Berry used to perform regularly locally, but he's pretty old and doesn't seem to get out much anymore. I would say Louisville by a bit. Not a great local scene, but not a bad one, and a nicer town. All have some strong musical histories.

I personally would recommend Memphis and Detroit (instead) in terms of current local musical strength as well as historical, but both cities are...pretty rough. Doesn't bother me, but might make others uncomfortable. Though you did also list St Louis, so....
Additionally:

Quote:
Says the KC wonk and nobody else! How about you list all the great local bands and venues in KC, and why specifically they are superior to what is offered in St Louis, Louisville, Detroit and Memphis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City