U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 10:12 AM

24 posts, read 35,614 times

Advertisements

I have been researching on Atlanta and Houston to call one as potential home. I work in SAP, mainly in SD, CRM, EDI, getting ready for IS Retail. I am trying to know how these two cities compare with each other in terms of SAP job market - Consulting/client employment. I heard companies are sprawled in Houston whereas in Atlanta, they are mostly in Alpharetta and Downtown.

Thanks! Any info would really help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 10:23 PM

18,219 posts, read 25,914,317 times
Try asking in the respective city forums.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:22 AM

8,201 posts, read 4,403,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfiddich View Post
I have been researching on Atlanta and Houston to call one as potential home. I work in SAP, mainly in SD, CRM, EDI, getting ready for IS Retail. I am trying to know how these two cities compare with each other in terms of SAP job market - Consulting/client employment. I heard companies are sprawled in Houston whereas in Atlanta, they are mostly in Alpharetta and Downtown.

Thanks! Any info would really help!
Are you set on either of those two cities exclusively? Why? Because SAP American headquarters are in Newtown Sq,PA which is a Philadelphia suburb.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:06 PM

868 posts, read 1,357,083 times
Some of the major O/G companies use SAP and some are stating to make that shift over. I'm not sure about ATL and IT in general but I have a few friends who studied SAP in school and are doing very well in Houston. In Houston (O/G), the folks in IT get paid very well and there appears to be some openings for SAP positions. I am only speaking for O/G (Houston), im not sure about other markets but either city should be fine due to SAP becoming a popular ERP choice.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:31 PM

4,645 posts, read 3,017,092 times
The travel technology firm Concur that SAP just bought has a major division in Atlanta, and SAP has a regional office here.

Good luck!

Old 05-10-2015, 03:12 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,717,281 times
I work in SAP.

If you are in P.R.A. and more Fi/Co then go with Houston. For technical purposes or other, then go with Atlanta. You have more energy specific or biomedical specific projects in Houston and there is a large need for Fi/Co as well. Atlanta is a more commercial base, the projects there are often linked to collaborative ones in Charlotte, perhaps Raleigh, Orlando, and Washington D.C. as well. By the way, the vast majority of the companies all over the world at this point use SAP, so where SAP is headquartered is incredibly irrelevant in the context of things (it is based in Frankfurt, Germany and the United States operations are out of Philadelphia). Both cities are massive corporate centers actually, some of the largest on the planet and it's a widely regarded fact that the grand majority of their major corporations run platforms of SAP. So you're good with these two cities as an option, or really any large advanced world city altogether.

Also, you are mistaken, the vast majority of the SAP positions in Houston are concentrated inside the Inner Loop. I think the lionshare in Downtown Houston, and the remainder all in Greenway or Uptown, which are about 4 miles west from Downtown. The only area outside the Loop that would have significant presence of SAP positions would probably be the Energy Corridor but you would have to be in the P.R.A. to be out there. In Atlanta, once again, the largest concentrations are in the Downtown and Midtown areas specifically. Like Houston's Inner Loop, the Atlanta core region is cohesively stringed together as one continuous region. I would imagine the largest concentration of SAP positions outside of Atlanta's core would be 4 miles north of Downtown in Buckhead and quite possibly the Perimeter Area. So either way, your best prospects in each city is right in the heart of the city, so no frets.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
By the way, the vast majority of the companies all over the world at this point use SAP, so where SAP is headquartered is incredibly irrelevant in the context of things (it is based in Frankfurt, Germany and the United States operations are out of Philadelphia).
True. I mentioned Concur and SAP's presence here in case the OP was interested in working directly with SAP or a subsidiary. Those opportunities exist here, and are worth noting.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:03 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,717,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
True. I mentioned Concur and SAP's presence here in case the OP was interested in working directly with SAP or a subsidiary. Those opportunities exist here, and are worth noting.
Yeah, I understand.

I meant more to the guy that came in here to advocate for the OP to look at Philadelphia instead because SAP's United States headquarters is there.

Honestly, where the headquarters is completely irrelevant to anything. Various entire industries and corporations run SAP, even the NBA runs SAP platforms, there is an actual need/demand of SAP positions in every major advanced world city all over the planet (see Monster, Dice, LinkedIn, so on). Some developing world cities (actually many) even have a need for those same SAP positions.

Atlanta and Houston's logistical connections are a great draw for people in SAP, the airports are convenient and connect the cities with all of the most prominent markets all over the world.

My project is with BHP Billiton in Singapore, my hometown, through my company. I'm scheduled to be in Singapore in July by way of Miami-to-Houston (Miami doesn't have a direct non-stop to Singapore and I have to do data measures at BHP in Houston before heading to Singapore) on a project that is going live out there.

Long story short, both Atlanta and Houston are pretty solid markets for SAP. I've got coworkers that have done various Atlanta projects before moving to Miami, so there's a constant need for SAP in Atlanta, from what I hear.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Yeah, I understand.

I meant more to the guy that came in here to advocate for the OP to look at Philadelphia instead because SAP's United States headquarters is there.

Honestly, where the headquarters is completely irrelevant to anything. Various entire industries and corporations run SAP, even the NBA runs SAP platforms, there is an actual need/demand of SAP positions in every major advanced world city all over the planet (see Monster, Dice, LinkedIn, so on). Some developing world cities (actually many) even have a need for those same SAP positions.

Atlanta and Houston's logistical connections are a great draw for people in SAP, the airports are convenient and connect the cities with all of the most prominent markets all over the world.

My project is with BHP Billiton in Singapore, my hometown, through my company. I'm scheduled to be in Singapore in July by way of Miami-to-Houston (Miami doesn't have a direct non-stop to Singapore and I have to do data measures at BHP in Houston before heading to Singapore) on a project that is going live out there.
Have fun on United.

And I understand. My sister is a fraud investigator for a major Bank, and they're on SAP. They are taking over the world.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:35 AM

24 posts, read 35,614 times
Red John - Would you have any idea how Houston is for SD, EDI, IS-Retail, CRM. I did a search on Dice and Indeed, but can't rely purely on them as there will be a bunch of dummy posting out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or