U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are Greater Indianapolis & Greater Columbus' ceilings in the Midwest over the course of the
They will surpass all places in the Midwest in population and economy except for Chicago, Detroit, and the Twin Cities 29 39.73%
They will settle somewhere in the mid-range and wont ever completely surpass Cleveland or Saint Louis 24 32.88%
They will stay where they are now as relative upstarts 11 15.07%
They will decline and lose ground in the future 4 5.48%
They will even surpass Chicago, Detroit, and the Twin Cities (CSAs) 1 1.37%
Other 4 5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 02:28 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,724,081 times

Advertisements

What are Greater Indianapolis & Greater Columbus' ceilings in the Midwestern United States?

So lets say a couple of decades, the 2010s, the 2020s, the 2030s, possibly beyond all the way to the 2050s. What would you say are the ceilings for these cities? They are two of the only seven boomtowns among major Midwestern metropolitan areas (the other five being Omaha, Madison, Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Grand Rapids, and Des Moines).

Do you think these two places have a legit chance of surpassing the likes of Kansas City, Cincinnati, Saint Louis, Cleveland and then take position right behind the Midwest's Big 3 (Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis/Saint Paul)?

Factors to consider: economic momentum, logistical future (how location will help), population growth, globalization, so on.

Here are two articles I read earlier this morning with some information about where these cities are headed;

Indianapolis: "The Crossroads of America:" How Indianapolis Has Benefited From Booming Latino Business Community : Business : Latin Post

Columbus: Logistics gaining steam in Columbus region | Columbus CEO

Overall national news: High Demand for Industrial Space at Nation

Share thoughts, concerns, ideas, rants, skepticism, whatever.

You can compare them by MSA or CSA, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 03:51 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,304,412 times
2050? They can't even get estimates right. How can you estimate 40 years down the road? Every metro slows down. Also redefinition of MSA boundaries could change everything.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:53 PM

306 posts, read 331,522 times
I think Columbus will really start to gain steam as a small business start up area. Depending on how much much industry returns to Cleveland, I could see Columbus bypassing Clevland.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:05 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,724,081 times
I think the two will complete the Midwest top 5 at some point.

Honestly, it really doesn't look like there's any large momentum out of Saint Louis, Cleveland, or Kansas City.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:55 PM

12,785 posts, read 12,761,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
I think Columbus will really start to gain steam as a small business start up area. Depending on how much much industry returns to Cleveland, I could see Columbus bypassing Clevland.
With no changes to the MSA borders, Columbus will pass Cleveland within 5 years.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:57 PM

12,785 posts, read 12,761,529 times
The MSAs of Chicago, MSP and Detroit are all safe for the foreseeable future in terms of ranking, but I can see Indy and Columbus both continuing to grow into the 2.5 million range by 2050, if not sooner.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:21 PM

21,023 posts, read 15,325,769 times
The Midwest is a huge place. You also have Cincy, Kansas City, Milwaukee, etc, hovering in this same range.

I don't see Indy or Columbus overtaking any of the big three. No Midwestern city is going to eclipse Chicago. METRO Detroit is still a major powerhouse, even though the CITY is bad off, but turning a corner. MSP is a bit below those two, but still a bit above competing cities.

I think Cleveland and St. Louis, and possibly Cincy, will continue their decline as Midwestern cities with a lot of racial strife. I think Indy is also a racial tinderbox ready to blow - Columbus, not so much.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:19 AM

4,283 posts, read 3,350,202 times
They will decline and lose future ground, and it's going to stay just like that. The only metro to join the big four will be Cincinnati when it merges with Dayton to overtake St. Louis.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:09 AM

306 posts, read 331,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
They will decline and lose future ground, and it's going to stay just like that. The only metro to join the big four will be Cincinnati when it merges with Dayton to overtake St. Louis.
No way, their economies are too diversified. That is the reason they are doing so well at this point. Now I agree the Cin-Day region will merger to become area number 4.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:48 PM

291 posts, read 297,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Remember, if Cincy merges with Dayton it will be a CSA not an MSA. It's also possible that Cleve and Youngstown might merge into a single CSA within the next couple of decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or