U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 08:45 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,481,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Because we have 1000 better things to do with our life than engage in a pissing match? Are jobs that scarce in Columbus or something?
What would you know about work? Attending IUPUI doesn't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 09:40 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,119,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Austin grew about 28% more slowly during the previous decade than it did during the 1990s. We won't know for sure about this decade for 5 more years. And as I said, booms have an expiration date, just as declines.
Expiration dates mean nothing. Detroit once boomed but I'm talking about what's current now. I was using Austin's current rate as an example. Columbus and Indy does not have Austin's growth rate to give them large noticeable advantage between each other. So when it comes to population growth there's not much difference between them.

Quote:
Cultural Trail is nice and an Indy asset, but let's be honest, it's a multi-use path. Fancier than most, but it serves the same function as the rest. And something that successful should be repeated in Indy across the city. Are there any plans to do that?
No, not that I currently know of. There has been some art projects added to it.

Quote:
Indy doesn't have anything like the High Street corridor, which is virtually continuously developed from German Village, through Downtown to Campus.
Sure we do it's called Meridian Street which goes right through Monument Circle which is something Columbus doesn't really have.

Quote:
Again, it's not the surrounding area that makes it suburban. Enclosed malls are meant to keep people inside and shopping. If all that retail were spread out over individual stores across Indy's downtown, can you imagine the type of wide-scale street activity you would have? Instead, it's all concentrated in a single place where people rarely venture beyond. City Center killed a lot of existing retail in Downtown Columbus for the very same reason. A few token sidewalk cafe's wouldn't have changed that and it doesn't really change the way Circle Center acts on Downtown Indy. Retail locations are now exploding in downtown Columbus, and across a much larger area than when City Center existed. Gay, High, Long and Rich streets in particular are seeing massive benefit from its demise, as are parts of Front, Oak and others.
There are plenty of other stores lining up along other blocks in downtown at street level which have nothing to do with Circle Centre. Circle Centre isn't the only place for shopping and eating. As for City Center in Columbus, it was poorly designed due to the lack of entrances to other businesses at street level. This is why Circle Centre was more successful and City Center wasn't. Rather if it's an enclosed mall or a building people are going to have to go inside a structure to shop.

Circle Centre isn't the only place for eating and shopping. You have it all wrong. Indy already has the best of both worlds. I'll list a couple of links just to illustrate my point.
TJ Maxx
https://goo.gl/maps/PIbhD
Other restaurants and retail not part of Circle Centre at street level on the other side of Washington Street. You'll also find this in other areas of downtown.
https://goo.gl/maps/YSzKT
Marsh Super Market (the 2nd super market downtown and Whole Foods coming in the future making it 3)
https://goo.gl/maps/RUpff

It's no wonder when you add it all up that having a thriving booming downtown is one of the contributing factors to Indy's high GDP growth.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:44 PM

6,233 posts, read 8,387,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
What would you know about work? Attending IUPUI doesn't count.
LOL! Wait a minute, McDonaldIndy is BroadRippleGuy???

Old 05-28-2015, 10:04 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,481,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
LOL! Wait a minute, McDonaldIndy is BroadRippleGuy???
The kinder, gentler BRG.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:48 AM

113 posts, read 80,424 times
Quote:
Well, here's what I see as positives and negatives in both.

Positives
Indy: Nice parks in the area, nice monuments, Cultural Trail, some walkable areas around Monument Circle, especially, some nice amenities, ongoing infill projects.
Columbus: Nice parks in the area (it will be adding 3 more within the next few years), Arena District, High Street Corridor, Gay Street-Neighborhood Launch, some nice amenities, downtown surrounded by strong urban neighborhoods, ongoing infill.

Negatives
Indy: Terrible mass transit, too many parking craters, lack of surrounding strong urban core, suburban mall sucking away potential expansion of retail around the downtown, not very much downtown construction for a city its size, especially residential, higher crime in general (this may be more an overall city issue than downtown, though).
Columbus: Terrible mass transit, too many parking craters, not enough larger-scale construction projects for a city its size, not enough night life yet, need improved construction standards on ongoing infill (see Highpoint).

For what exists right now, Indy may still have the edge, but I guess I just don't see a huge difference in quality right now.
How can you speak on Columbus night life from Mexico City?

Old 05-29-2015, 12:58 AM

12,793 posts, read 12,775,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logongst View Post
How can you speak on Columbus night life from Mexico City?
Because I'm from there, spent 90% of my life there and still visit regularly, including 2 weeks ago? Plus I run a blog related to Columbus development, history, demographics, etc.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:05 AM

113 posts, read 80,424 times
Quote:
Because I'm from there, spent 90% of my life there and still visit regularly, including 2 weeks ago? Plus I run a blog related to Columbus development, history, demographics, etc.
Well I disagree. And I'm not even talking Arena District, Short Nort, OSU... How can you imply Columbus night life as subpar. Ever been on the Eastside at 3AM

BTW, I do agree with majority post in this thread.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logongst View Post
Well I disagree. And I'm not even talking Arena District, Short Nort, OSU... How can you imply Columbus night life as subpar. Ever been on the Eastside at 3AM

BTW, I do agree with majority post in this thread.
The subpar night life was in reference to Downtown. I still think that's true to a degree, but certainly not like it used to be. It doesn't close up completely at 5pm like it once did. There are a lot of nice restaurants now in the neighborhood.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:50 AM

[quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post

Sure we do it's called Meridian Street which goes right through Monument
Circle
which is something Columbus doesn't really have.
Let's do a sort of visual comparison between High and Meridian. I'll post several google maps photos of points along the street, along with any commentary or links on plans for development, ongoing construction, etc. along and nearby it. From my own look on the maps, I don't think Meridian looks much like High at all once you get too far past Monument Circle in terms of development, but perhaps you can prove me wrong. I'll put together the maps in another post.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:48 AM

8,268 posts, read 13,559,463 times
Quote:

Let's do a sort of visual comparison between High and Meridian. I'll post several google maps photos of points along the street, along with any commentary or links on plans for development, ongoing construction, etc. along and nearby it. From my own look on the maps, I don't think Meridian looks much like High at all once you get too far past Monument Circle in terms of development, but perhaps you can prove me wrong. I'll put together the maps in another post.
Meridian is not a great comparison to High Street. Maybe up to 16th Street with some development planned through there, but that is a reach.

For roads that have that sort of continuous development feel in Indianapolis, Mass Ave and Virginia Ave probably come closest if we are talking about things that run from downtown. East 10th could, as that corridor comes back. Indianapolis is playing catch-up in the neighborhood department, but that catch up is happening.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 05-29-2015 at 12:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or