U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2015, 05:33 AM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,205 posts, read 8,356,135 times
Reputation: 4624

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I didn't claim that Nashville was a peer city. I pointed out that your stats were erroneous. You were the one that got defensive and tried to belittle my city. Rather than own up to your mistake, you claimed that I should have updated my city's wikipedia page.

Nashville is not on the same level as Indy. We can agree on that.

But I wonder if you will be so smug a decade from now.
Did I specifically say "Nashvols tried to compare Nashville as a peer city"? No. I said some poster, because there is another one insistent it's a peer city, and in terms of population he's right, Nashville is a peer city.

Oh no, you want to worry me with where Nashville will be in 10 years, not where it's at now. I don't even live in Indiana, or Indianapolis. I can care less where either of them are in 10 years. Point is they aren't even close in GDP right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2015, 06:55 AM
 
6,385 posts, read 10,365,395 times
Reputation: 6528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Did I specifically say "Nashvols tried to compare Nashville as a peer city"? No. I said some poster, because there is another one insistent it's a peer city, and in terms of population he's right, Nashville is a peer city.

Oh no, you want to worry me with where Nashville will be in 10 years, not where it's at now. I don't even live in Indiana, or Indianapolis. I can care less where either of them are in 10 years. Point is they aren't even close in GDP right now.
You did not say "some poster".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I like how a few Tennessee posters are desperate to claim Nashville is a peer city of Indy
I don't know what a few means to you, but to me it means more than two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2015, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,205 posts, read 8,356,135 times
Reputation: 4624
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
You did not say "some poster".



I don't know what a few means to you, but to me it means more than two.
So to you Nashville at a rounded 1.8 million is NOT a peer city to Indy? You should talk to jbcm81 about this. 1.5 million to 2.5 million is his metric for "peer cities".

Nashville is a peer in terms of size, I just chose not to discuss it due to its low GDP, wasn't worthy of comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2015, 07:18 AM
 
6,385 posts, read 10,365,395 times
Reputation: 6528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So to you Nashville at a rounded 1.8 million is NOT a peer city to Indy? You should talk to jbcm81 about this. 1.5 million to 2.5 million is his metric for "peer cities".

Nashville is a peer in terms of size, I just chose not to discuss it due to its low GDP, wasn't worthy of comparison.
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware jbcm81 was a Tennessee poster.

Who were the other 3 Tennessee posters you were referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2015, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,766 posts, read 12,744,983 times
Reputation: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Actually several posters outside of Indy agree. It's you and maybe 2 or 3 other posters that have come up with a bunch of bogus reasons to disagree that have kept this thread going for over 20 pages now.

I'm just curious to know what makes a mid size metro in the mostly regressive state of Indiana have a higher GDP than several larger cities, and it's considerably larger than some. I like how a few Tennessee posters are desperate to claim Nashville is a peer city of Indy, which in population it is, however I intentionally didn't include Nashville because its GDP is nowhere close, it's a meager $100 billion in 2013.
This all would've been fine if you had included all of the population peer group, regardless of their GDP. From a total GDP standpoint alone, Indy would still look pretty good, it just wouldn't be at the very top. And throw in the fact that you've completely ignored or disregarded points made on GDP growth rates and per-capita, and you get the kind of disagreement you've had.

In the strictest terms, Indy is within its peer group. It's not extraordinary in the group, but in total, it is better than average. I'm not sure what is left to discuss. I'm not even sure you really want serious proposals as to why Indy is ranked where it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2015, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,766 posts, read 12,744,983 times
Reputation: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So to you Nashville at a rounded 1.8 million is NOT a peer city to Indy? You should talk to jbcm81 about this. 1.5 million to 2.5 million is his metric for "peer cities".

Nashville is a peer in terms of size, I just chose not to discuss it due to its low GDP, wasn't worthy of comparison.
It's a peer metro in population size. I disagree with whoever says it's not. If we're only going by metros with populations within a 100K or less population difference, that list would be too small a sample size to make many claims about, including GDP performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2015, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,205 posts, read 8,356,135 times
Reputation: 4624
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
This all would've been fine if you had included all of the population peer group, regardless of their GDP. From a total GDP standpoint alone, Indy would still look pretty good, it just wouldn't be at the very top. And throw in the fact that you've completely ignored or disregarded points made on GDP growth rates and per-capita, and you get the kind of disagreement you've had.

In the strictest terms, Indy is within its peer group. It's not extraordinary in the group, but in total, it is better than average. I'm not sure what is left to discuss. I'm not even sure you really want serious proposals as to why Indy is ranked where it is.
You're right. The only point I was making is that the 9 cities that follow Indianapolis in GDP are all larger than it.

If you want to include peer cities of 1.75 million to 2.25 million Indy is ranked third behind only Portland and San Jose. San Jose is the tech capital of the world, so I don't think anyone is surprised to see it so high.

If you increase it to a 2.5 million peer group, which is over 500,000 people more than Indy has, kind of a big distance for peers, then Indy falls behind San Jose, Portland, Charlotte, and Pittsburgh, which pits it as 5th in a group of almost 20 cities that fall between 1.5 million and 2.5 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2015, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,205 posts, read 8,356,135 times
Reputation: 4624
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
It's a peer metro in population size. I disagree with whoever says it's not. If we're only going by metros with populations within a 100K or less population difference, that list would be too small a sample size to make many claims about, including GDP performance.
I'm in full agreement with you here. Nashville is by all means a peer city of Indianapolis. Nasvhols is from Nashville and for some reason seems to think that Nashville isn't a peer city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 02:47 AM
 
Location: Rocky Ford, CO
1 posts, read 557 times
Reputation: 12
Indianapolis, Unlike most of its rivals, is very Fiscally Conservative, that is NOT to say Politically conservative, because that is about half-n-half Liberal Conservative on Political and Social issues, For instance, you find MANY more openly GLBT businesses in Indianapolis than you would expect in a City with more churches per square mile than any other US city, this is because of the Belief in Diversity that it has had since it Kicked out the KKK from power in the early 1900s, and had much fewer problems than any city of size after MLK Jr was killed.
But, back to Indy itself.
Indy has spent Millions to update its downtown area, unlike many Midwest cities, to make it more friendly Afteer 5pm, Building a Canal area that meanders through the heart of the City from the White River and the IUPUI Campus, into the Indiana Government Center and almost a mile north of the immediate downtown area, It has created many Greenways through the Metro area that are the Envy of Many cities Smaller and much Larger
There are more Museums within the City than you would expect in a city of its size, and More Monuments than any city in the nation other than WashDC.
Culturally, They have The Physical Arts, as in Ballet, Opera and Symphony, that you would only expect to see in Much Larger cities like Chicago, NYC, Boston and LA.
It Truly IS the Sporting Capital of America, with Three Major League Teams (NFL, NBA, WNBA), and Several Minor League Teams for Baseball, Hockey, Soccer. As well the Largest Single Day Sporting event in the world (Indy500), as well as Two other Large Events in the same Venue (NASCAR and Motor Cycle MotoGP, as well as the NHRA Top Facility, As well as the NCAA National Headquarters.
You have the Largest Hands-on Childrens Museum in the World.
You have a Huge Manufacturing Industry in Indianapolis, that ranges through many Industry Divisions, as well as the largest Healthcare Insurance Group based there, a Top Pharma Conglomerate, Many Foreign Conglomerates have their US Headquarters in Indy, As well as the Largest Toyota Plant in North America only a coule hours SW of the City
This is all in a State Capitol, of which the State has made a Major Turn Around, Much Like Wisconsin, Ohio and Texas in the last Decade, while Most of its Neighbors in the Region have continued to Ignore their Fiscal and Social problems, and made their futures worse, and more difficult to turnaround.
Yes, Some of the States other Metros have Not Faired as well, Ft Wayne is Growing but Slowly, South Bend/Elkhart is Growing but Slowly, NWIndiana (the five counties that make up that Million plus Suburbia of Chicago) is In Decline though working to Change its future., Evansville is beginning to turn itself around, The Louisville Suburb counties in Indiana are growing inn population yet stagnant in Business growth, Though other Smaller metros like Bloomington and Lafayette and Kokomo have turned around and are growing again.
But, Indianapolis is Still the "Crossroads of America", in Many ways, and has a Brighter Future, than many of its Neighbors do, not only because they have not changed their Thinking on the New Paradigms of Business, Growth Potential, Tax Policies, Social Issues, and what it takes to "Change with the Wind" that is Always Needed in this World, especially in the Midwest, but also because they Need to Throw Off their Past as "The Rust Belt", and Forge a Path that Leads to Prosperity.
NO, Indianapolis IS NOT PERFECT, No City Is, and never will be.
BUT, Indianapolis has a Mindset that Will Lead it to Lead the Nation Much as Texas and other Southern States Are, Into Prosperity. This Mindset, is a Drive to Succeed, and Indianapolis is Doing it Better than Any other city in the Midwest (though Columbus OH is very Similar in Many ways, and Chicago has its Size and Importance in the country that Allows it to continue to grow).
Indianapolis May Not be "THE PLACE TO BE", But, it Has More going for it than Most cities in the Nation, and Refuses to Close Its Mind to Growth.

Last edited by edav38; 08-07-2015 at 02:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,160,601 times
Reputation: 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by edav38 View Post
This is all in a State Capitol, of which the State has made a Major Turn Around, Much Like Wisconsin, Ohio and Texas in the last Decade, while Most of its Neighbors in the Region have continued to Ignore their Fiscal and Social problems, and made their futures worse, and more difficult to turnaround.
Do you get all your information via talk radio? I can tell you with absolute certainty that Wisconsin was in a bad situation when Walker took over, and it's in a far worse situation since. The latest polls have Walker in the 30s in terms of approval rating and dropping. Even the folks who voted for him are turning, due to the fact that he hasn't delivered anything he promised (see: the 250,000 new jobs slogan he ran under in the first place), and has only made the state less attractive and more divisive. By the way, I'm an independent voter that couldn't wait to escort the former (Democrat) Governor out the door. Please do not include Wisconsin on your list next time, unless you want to discredit the rest of your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top