Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 11:12 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I do have a music degree so I'm not totally useless.
Some would call this a paradox

I can make fun cause I have a music degree too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 11:00 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Much in the way the Ivy League are the "Elite Eight colleges" being all from the NE.

San Francisco, DC, LA, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis should be the other five that are in that same top tier.

Then you have solid second-tier orchestras such as Minneapolis, Detroit, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Seattle, Atlanta, New Jersey, Baltimore, Buffalo, San Diego, Denver, and Dallas. Much like many groups there is a perceived hiearchy.
It is of course, a highly subjective assessment, but I think there are several qualities which are shared by top orchestras: touring activity, particularly to the most sophisticated world centers of classical music--such as London, NY, Vienna, and Berlin; recording activity and the positive critical response to those recordings; the prominence of the current music director; and an international pool of candidates for open positions. These are all important factors because the orchestral musicians are the core of any great orchestra, and those musicians are justifiably proud of their accomplishments. Those instrumentalists know that working with a talented conductor and gifted orchestral mates can help them hone their skills. They also relish the opportunity to showcase their personal and collective talents via touring and recording.

I would argue that there are eight elite orchestras in The US right now: the orchestras of Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Chicago, Minneapolis, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. By "elite", I mean that these orchestras are at a technical level which can match the four most prominent European orchestras (Vienna Philharmonic, Berlin Philharmonic, Amsterdam Concertgebouw, London Symphony). The primary distinctions among those twelve orchestras are not based upon technical ability, but rather upon the stylistic differences imbued by their respective music directors.

To round-out an American top ten, I think Pittsburgh and St Louis are just out of that elite category. You then a have a group of very good orchestras that have achieved some level of national prominence, and some international renown: Metropolitan Opera, Baltimore, Washington, Cincinnati, Detroit, St Paul, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, and Seattle.

Going beyond those twenty ensembles, you're talking about orchestras that are best described as being regionally prominent.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:59 AM

836 posts, read 1,254,262 times
I'm also wondering, this time regarding Canada: How do the symphony orchestras of Montreal (my home town) and Toronto line up with the Big Five or the other good American symphony orchestras? I'd imagine that Montreal would have been on a higher level than Toronto at least in the not too distant past.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
I'm also wondering, this time regarding Canada: How do the symphony orchestras of Montreal (my home town) and Toronto line up with the Big Five or the other good American symphony orchestras? I'd imagine that Montreal would have been on a higher level than Toronto at least in the not too distant past.
Montreal was definitely world class when Dutoit was there. They recorded extensively for Decca, and were often referred to as the best "French" orchestra in the world (France itself has had numerous great instrumental soloists, but arguably, not a world class orchestra). It is definitely Canada's top orchestra. I think the current music director, Kent Nagano, has certainly maintained a high level of performance--probably would rank in the 9-10 spot if it were an American orchestra.

The Toronto Symphony had some good years under Andrew Davis (he's still conductor laureate), but even at its best, would probably only fit in near the bottom of the American top twenty.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Montreal was definitely world class when Dutoit was there. They recorded extensively for Decca, and were often referred to as the best "French" orchestra in the world (France itself has had numerous great instrumental soloists, but arguably, not a world class orchestra). It is definitely Canada's top orchestra. I think the current music director, Kent Nagano, has certainly maintained a high level of performance--probably would rank in the 9-10 spot if it were an American orchestra.

The Toronto Symphony had some good years under Andrew Davis (he's still conductor laureate), but even at its best, would probably only fit in near the bottom of the American top twenty.
So you'd rank Montreal around Pittsburgh or St. Louis rather than Cleveland, Boston, NY, etc., and Toronto around something like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, or Seattle?

Old 05-13-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
So you'd rank Montreal around Pittsburgh or St. Louis rather than Cleveland, Boston, NY, etc., and Toronto around something like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, or Seattle?
That would certainly be my opinion. I've heard both orchestras live within the last five years.

I still have several of the OSM recordings with Charles Dutoit--he was there for twenty-five years--and many of those performances (particularly Ravel and Stravinsky) seem near-perfect to me. Fifteen years ago, they were undoubtedly among the world's best. Dutoit left Montreal in 2002 amid a lot of bitter discord between himself, the musicians, and the union. I do think the orchestra suffered a slight setback as a result.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
That would certainly be my opinion. I've heard both orchestras live within the last five years.

I still have several of the OSM recordings with Charles Dutoit--he was there for twenty-five years--and many of those performances (particularly Ravel and Stravinsky) seem near-perfect to me. Fifteen years ago, they were undoubtedly among the world's best. Dutoit left Montreal in 2002 amid a lot of bitter discord between himself, the musicians, and the union. I do think the orchestra suffered a slight setback as a result.
The bottom line with Montreal is that it would always have been near but not at the Big Five if Montreal were in the US?!

Old 05-13-2015, 01:13 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:

Interestingly Yannick Nezet-Seguin, current music dir. of the Phila. Orch., is still the artistic director of the Montreal's other orchestra. He's from Montreal so I don't think he will give up that post.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:20 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:

Well, you may know that he became the "substitute" music director in Phila. after Christoph Eschenbach's contract was not renewed. He helped "bridge the gap" between Eschenbach and Nezet-Seguin and helped the orchestra overcome the regrettable bankruptcy period which ended in 2012. He didn't get enough credit for doing what he did, IMO.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
The bottom line with Montreal is that it would always have been near but not at the Big Five if Montreal were in the US?!
Again, these are just personal opinions. There really isn't a "Big Five" in The US anymore. There hasn't been for a few decades. It's not a term that classical music critics or classical music fans tend to use. Another group of orchestras, numbering from 2-5 depending upon one's opinion, have achieved artistic parity with those traditional top five orchestras. It's even been suggested that a couple of those five have dropped out of the elite level, at least for a couple of seasons here and there.

As for Montreal, I would suggest that, during the latter portion of Dutoit's tenure (basically, the 1990s), it was an elite world orchestra--possibly a top ten in the world, and perhaps better than a couple of those traditional "Big Five". Today, I think they fall into a group just short of that level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City