U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2015, 10:23 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,686,232 times
Reputation: 9776

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
No, YOU are lying - you've never been to Gary, and I have.
No, you are lying. You claimed that Gary has "very nice areas" which is laughable. Please show us these "very nice areas" in Gary. Heck, show us one non-ghetto neighborhood, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
As for the weather, El Paso is considerably hotter than Gary. Not even the same ballpark. Not even if you looked at monthly lows.
Ah, so you have reading comprehension problems, and don't understands the terms "low" "average" and "summer". Oh, boy...

Again, El Paso doesn't have hot summers, and is in fact cooler than Gary for half the day. You got caught with your ignorance, confusing El Paso with someplace like Phoenix. Then you posted random irrelevant things like average temps in the spring to "prove" that El Paso wasn't in fact cooler for half the day in the summer.

El Paso is in the mountains and does not get that hot, nor does it have humidity. In fact snow and cold weather is quite common. Winters can be harsh.

El Paso has summer nightly lows in the 70's, with zero humidity, and Gary has nightly lows in the high 70's with extreme humidity.

I have no idea what your posting of random high temps or average temps, especially outside the summer, has to do with the conversation. I never claimed that El Paso has lower averages or is cooler outside of summer.

If your argument that Gary has better winter weather than El Paso, then I guess you're going to continue with consistently absurd postings, just like you claimed that Gary has beautiful neighborhoods and that Gary is supposedly "better" because nearby cities are better (so I guess Camden, NJ is better than Chicago because Camden is close to NYC while Chicago is only close to farms and rust belt dumps).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2015, 10:40 AM
 
58 posts, read 68,760 times
Reputation: 59
Default Song about both towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Marty Robbins never wrote a song about Gary, Indiana.
And Meredith Wilson never wrote a song about El Paso (at least I don't think so.)

"Gary Indiana" from the Music Man.

Rossia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 11:26 AM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
12,926 posts, read 18,430,627 times
Reputation: 6613
This is... a HORRIBLE comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I'd go with Gary. You could buy a house there for cheap and you're a half hour from downtown Chicago.

When your selling points are, "it's cheap and close to another, bigger, more well-known city", it's basically saying that the city you're selling isn't all that great and you may as well just go to the other city mentioned.

Trust me on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 7,928,886 times
Reputation: 4214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Marty Robbins never wrote a song about Gary, Indiana.
No, but there's a song about it in the movie The Music Man: The Music Man (1962) Gary, Indiana - Trailer Addict

I actually thought this was a well-known fact...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 7,928,886 times
Reputation: 4214
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, you are lying. You claimed that Gary has "very nice areas" which is laughable. Please show us these "very nice areas" in Gary. Heck, show us one non-ghetto neighborhood, please.

Ah, so you have reading comprehension problems, and don't understands the terms "low" "average" and "summer". Oh, boy...

Again, El Paso doesn't have hot summers, and is in fact cooler than Gary for half the day. You got caught with your ignorance, confusing El Paso with someplace like Phoenix. Then you posted random irrelevant things like average temps in the spring to "prove" that El Paso wasn't in fact cooler for half the day in the summer.

El Paso is in the mountains and does not get that hot, nor does it have humidity. In fact snow and cold weather is quite common. Winters can be harsh.

El Paso has summer nightly lows in the 70's, with zero humidity, and Gary has nightly lows in the high 70's with extreme humidity.

I have no idea what your posting of random high temps or average temps, especially outside the summer, has to do with the conversation. I never claimed that El Paso has lower averages or is cooler outside of summer.

If your argument that Gary has better winter weather than El Paso, then I guess you're going to continue with consistently absurd postings, just like you claimed that Gary has beautiful neighborhoods and that Gary is supposedly "better" because nearby cities are better (so I guess Camden, NJ is better than Chicago because Camden is close to NYC while Chicago is only close to farms and rust belt dumps).
What on Earth....chill out man!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 7,928,886 times
Reputation: 4214
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
This is... a HORRIBLE comparison.




When your selling points are, "it's cheap and close to another, bigger, more well-known city", it's basically saying that the city you're selling isn't all that great and you may as well just go to the other city mentioned.

Trust me on that one.
Totally agree with your 2nd point/paragraph....yet it's one of the most noted reasons by some as a reason why a place is more desirable than another place (if your place is so desirable why are you constantly obsessing about the nearest city to get away to?)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 11:50 AM
 
Location: alexandria, VA
6,931 posts, read 3,628,524 times
Reputation: 4076
"There is just one place that can light my face. Gary Indiana, Gary Indiana..." Not exactly Back Home Again in Indiana ("when I dream about the moonlight on the Wabash") but not too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,167,830 times
Reputation: 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
What on Earth....chill out man!
He hates it when his argument is trashed by easily verifiable facts, which is why I occasionally throw stuff like that in front of him. He'll go to any end in order to "win," including outright lies & fabrications, even when literally everyone else knows he is straight-up wrong. Gary is hotter than El Paso. OK. No one believes that, because it is proveably untrue, but NOLA MUST NOT CONCEDE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Austin
1,796 posts, read 2,441,102 times
Reputation: 1199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Really? I always hear past tense stories of visiting Juarez, haven't heard anything about tourists returning there. Any links? It's going to take a long time for Juarez to recover from its tarnished reputation.
Here's an article about Juarez from CNN.

After years of violence, 'life is back' in Juarez - CNN.com

I may visit Juarez, but will never visit at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:40 PM
 
Location: City of North Las Vegas, NV
11,215 posts, read 7,614,115 times
Reputation: 2973
The thread should have been named Juarez vs Gary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top