U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2015, 09:35 AM
 
52,622 posts, read 75,451,274 times
Reputation: 11627

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
^ Would absolutely rather live in that neighborhood in Chicagoland than the middle of nowhere in the desert. I realize that El Paso, the city, is much nicer overall than Gary, the suburb. But for me personally, I don't like dozens of blazing days over 100 degrees, brown, and the like. Can totally see why EP would be the answer for many. Just not me.
I understand and if schools are an aspect, just go private or use school choice. There is actually a rail station in that area too: Miller (NICTD station) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2015, 04:50 PM
 
3,008 posts, read 4,164,683 times
Reputation: 1524
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, you are lying. You claimed that Gary has "very nice areas" which is laughable. Please show us these "very nice areas" in Gary. Heck, show us one non-ghetto neighborhood, please.

Ah, so you have reading comprehension problems, and don't understands the terms "low" "average" and "summer". Oh, boy...

Again, El Paso doesn't have hot summers, and is in fact cooler than Gary for half the day. You got caught with your ignorance, confusing El Paso with someplace like Phoenix. Then you posted random irrelevant things like average temps in the spring to "prove" that El Paso wasn't in fact cooler for half the day in the summer.

El Paso is in the mountains and does not get that hot, nor does it have humidity. In fact snow and cold weather is quite common. Winters can be harsh.

El Paso has summer nightly lows in the 70's, with zero humidity, and Gary has nightly lows in the high 70's with extreme humidity.

I have no idea what your posting of random high temps or average temps, especially outside the summer, has to do with the conversation. I never claimed that El Paso has lower averages or is cooler outside of summer.

If your argument that Gary has better winter weather than El Paso, then I guess you're going to continue with consistently absurd postings, just like you claimed that Gary has beautiful neighborhoods and that Gary is supposedly "better" because nearby cities are better (so I guess Camden, NJ is better than Chicago because Camden is close to NYC while Chicago is only close to farms and rust belt dumps).
If you have been, must have been 1 foot north of 53rd. Gary has the same types of homes, the more affluent miller beach and middle class miller away from the beach, Cambridge with its large old colonial homes (first executive hood in the city going back almost 100 years), suburban look and feel areas in tolleston with cookie cutter suburban style homes exceptade of brick, south glen park., both glen park over by iun stout middle class. Old character of morningside. West side is literally hit or miss. My FAM is still there, all of us college educated as all of the people I grew up with in the G. Are there a lot of bad areas in Gary, yes but there are more good areas than the media alludes to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Orlandooooooo
2,363 posts, read 4,257,056 times
Reputation: 875
El Paso. Easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 08:37 PM
 
341 posts, read 458,684 times
Reputation: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
A load of crap opinion.
That obesity and Type 2 Diabetes are big problem here in El Paso is a fact, not an opinion.

As far as the other part of my post, maybe you could bother to explain why you think my opinion is crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 08:53 PM
 
341 posts, read 458,684 times
Reputation: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Even though I quoted the article, I would say that some of the points are likely false or manipulated facts but wouldn't doubt that most are true.
To be fair, it wasn't so much the actual page that you posted that I have a problem with, but rather some of the listicles from which the rankings came from, specifically the two that I pointed out. (Although, I think some of the others are a questionable as well.) The problem with these sort of ratings is that they just don't tell the whole story at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 09:24 PM
 
341 posts, read 458,684 times
Reputation: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
If it's hot or not, is more a matter of personal opinion. For me,, couple of months of averaging in the upper 90's doesn't make it that hot and as an annual whole El Paso's climate is A+.
Climate El Paso - Texas and Weather averages El Paso
I don't see how the stats on that link can possibly be correct - it says we average an inch of snowfall in April! I've lived here nearly a decade and it has never snowed in April! It's usually in like the 70s in April.

Honestly though, I don't see how anyone can say it isn't hot here during the summer. It was 92 today in the middle of May and it sure felt hot to me! On, the flip side however, the winters are mild in El Paso, and fall and spring can be pretty nice. I'm not saying the weather here is that bad, but it isn't perfect either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 10:27 PM
 
Location: worldwide
696 posts, read 820,131 times
Reputation: 464
These threads get more ridiculous by the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,205 posts, read 8,356,135 times
Reputation: 4622
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirportFan View Post
Many people say El Paso sucks. But compared to Gary, Indiana, which city is better?
Gary due to its proximity to Chicago offers MUCH more than El Paso ever can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 11:10 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
12,895 posts, read 18,406,719 times
Reputation: 6598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Gary due to its proximity to Chicago offers MUCH more than El Paso ever can.
Again with this...?

BECAUSE of you saying that, it puts Gary behind El Paso. Because what you're basically saying is that Gary can't hold its own on its own, therefore, El Paso is the better city.

If you're going to say that a city is better because it's next to a certain other city, then you may as well just make this "El Paso vs. Chicago".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,205 posts, read 8,356,135 times
Reputation: 4622
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Again with this...?

BECAUSE of you saying that, it puts Gary behind El Paso. Because what you're basically saying is that Gary can't hold its own on its own, therefore, El Paso is the better city.

If you're going to say that a city is better because it's next to a certain other city, then you may as well just make this "El Paso vs. Chicago".
Well duh...the premise of comparing a city with 79,000 people against a city with 674,000 people is pretty silly on its own, so no...Gary by itself cannot compare to El Paso. However, in the real world, if you live in Gary you have great access to Chicago, just 30 miles from downtown either via car or the South Shore, and Chicagoland > El Paso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top