U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 06:53 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,119,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Lets Eat Candy is that you????
>me
>married

Wouldn't the girl I'm talking to right now like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 07:01 PM

5,598 posts, read 5,525,658 times
Seems like Austin would be the safest bet. To move there wouldn't be that tough. It's similar to Tulsa in many ways so adjusting wouldn't be that tough. And if it didn't suit you then you could go to the west coast.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:23 AM

1,018 posts, read 741,857 times
Misread the OP's budget, but even $2400 should put you in a good neighborhood.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:40 AM

10,087 posts, read 12,582,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
Los Angeles beats all of the other ones out of the water of course. LA is a world class city. The other ones are not even close.

But you might have a problem with your budget though...$2900 is going to land you in the ghetto.

Therefore, I'd pick Austin. Why? Because it's in Texas. That's why. Texas don't mess around.
No way. I have a two bedroom for half of that in one of the most desirable-but-still-urban neighborhoods in the city/area. You could probably even find something in Santa Monica or Venice with 2900 - though the OP did say 2400, which would make it more difficult but is still a healthy rental budget for Los Angeles.

Seems like all of these cities would be a find choice. SF is the most urban but also most expensive. Austin is the least expensive and also the least urban. Seattle is a nice mix of all of these elements but perhaps a little provincial compared to the CA cities. Los Angeles is the most cosmopolitan and offers the most amenities (though the Bay Area is only slightly behind).

Old 05-19-2015, 11:50 AM

15,406 posts, read 8,059,468 times
LA has the best climate and has opportunities but the cost of living versus salaries is probably last in these 4. SF has the most opportunities, a great climate and really ticks all your boxes but it's the most expensive. Seattle's only real negative is the climate so you would have to put up with 7 months of cool/misty weather but everything else about Seattle is A+. Austin is a little smaller and a lot hotter so what is your tolerance level for 96 degree summer days....everything else about Austin is A+.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:01 PM

559 posts, read 512,810 times
Seattle if you want the compact, dense, urban city
LA if you want the giant mega-city with endless things to do

You should also look into San Diego

SF is dirty, stinky, expensive and the weather isn't as good as people think it is

Old 05-19-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
No way. I have a two bedroom for half of that in one of the most desirable-but-still-urban neighborhoods in the city/area. You could probably even find something in Santa Monica or Venice with 2900 - though the OP did say 2400, which would make it more difficult but is still a healthy rental budget for Los Angeles.
I honestly question what the hell most people on CD spend their money on. $2900/month can even land you a nice house rental in a nice area. Don't believe me? Just go on Craigslist RIGHT NOW and enter in $2900 as the max.

LOL. I really hope people don't take this site seriously for relocation advice.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:50 PM

31,598 posts, read 53,166,657 times
I cant find a single 2bd apt in SF proper within the OPs budget. 4-6 thousand appears to be the norm for 2 bedrooms these days in the decent to good urban areas, with 7-8 thousand becoming more commonplace in SF.

SF bay area apartments / housing rentals "san francisco" - craigslist

Old 05-19-2015, 12:52 PM

31,598 posts, read 53,166,657 times
And its all a travesty really. We're pricing out tons of awesome people.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And its all a travesty really. We're pricing out tons of awesome people.
OFF-TOPIC SO IGNORE:

I'm sure you've seen this video, 18Montclair. It's been popping up all over my social media stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awPVY1DcupE

The people we (as in West Coast yuppies) are pricing out are being replaced with entitled pricks. These kids kept their cool way more than I would have, which is good since this was being recorded.

Good thing about the Bay and LA is that you can still find cheap stuff that isn't dangerous, but may not be as "urban" as one might like. For some reason, living in a more toned down, even somewhat quieter area is worse than living in the 'hood on City-Data.

los angeles apartments / housing rentals - craigslist

There's plenty of options for >$2900 that isn't in "the ghetto" or even that far away from "urbanity" in the LA area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or